PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide: PS Vita or PS TV?

fat_moogle
10-04-2014, 01:17 PM
I used to have a Vita, but unfortunately I was paid a visit by the thief fairy. Now that I've got a PS4 I'm interested in picking up another for remote play and Vita games.

But now I'm in a predicament because PS TV is coming out November, and that's thrown a spanner in the works.

When I had a Vita before I never took it out of the house, so likelihood is I wouldn't take this one out, either. The Vita games I'm interested in playing (Persona 4 and Freedom Wars) don't make use of the touch screen on Vita, so I think maybe they would benefit from a bigger screen. But then there's the factor of the portability and the "what if?" of me taking it out.

But then again the Vita itself is a nifty device :/ what would you do if you were in my shoes?

Scotty_ffgamer
10-04-2014, 03:54 PM
Some factors to consider:

Playstation TV is cheaper... however, not all games are compatible with it. Games like Gravity Rush and even Golden Abyss (if I remember right) use the touch controls and so they aren't compatible with the system.

PS TV can play on the big screen... but how will the vita/psp/etc games look on it? I don't think I've heard how the games look blown up on that.

PS TV uses the Dualshock 4.

I'm personally in a position where I'm all about portability. I don't really play my games outside of the house, but I like to be able to move around my house and still game. The Vita allows me to do that. I can also still remote play/play vita games if people are using the tv. The Vita fits my needs, and it's pretty much my go to system right now. The PS TV seems like a nice little system though. Just keep in mind that not every vita game is compatible with it.

Vyk
10-04-2014, 05:39 PM
I'm interested in one myself but it should also be clarified the touch functionality isn't the only hindrance. There is a firmware issue. Some games that should work don't. And with updates some games that did work no longer do. Hopefully they increase compatibility a lot. And quickly

Mirage
10-04-2014, 10:58 PM
PS TV can play on the big screen... but how will the vita/psp/etc games look on it? I don't think I've heard how the games look blown up on that.

Better than PS2 games do.

I'd probably get a PSTV. I'm on the go all that often, and when I am, I have enough entertainment between my 3DS and modded PSP.

Jinx
10-04-2014, 11:06 PM
3DS.

Mirage
10-04-2014, 11:07 PM
What if she already has a 3DS?

Jinx
10-04-2014, 11:12 PM
fat_moogle is a dude. :p

Dr Unne
10-04-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm happy with my Vita and I'd rather have a handheld than be anchored to my couch. I like being able to pick up the Vita and play for a few minutes, turn it off and grab it again in a couple hours with no hassle. I don't leave the house with my Vita very often either, but I like that I can play in my office, or on the couch with my spouse watching a TV show etc.

One downside to the Vita is that it was painful for me to play for more than a couple of hours at a time until I got good a grip for it. Not an issue once I bought a grip, but being able to use a proper controller is a definite benefit of PS TV.

Mirage
10-04-2014, 11:15 PM
fat_moogle is a dude. :p

that doesn't answer my question!

Anyway he hadn't mentioned his gender anywhere i was paying attention so i just thought i should default to "she" instead of "he" for once :p

Scotty_ffgamer
10-04-2014, 11:48 PM
Oh, I didn't know touch functionality wasn't the only limitation to what games were compatible. I just remember that being mentioned back when it first came out in Japan as Vita TV. In that case, I'd be even more sold on the Vita if I was trying to make the decision.

I can say that the one good thing with remote play for the PS TV is that you are still using a PS4 controller. I imagine it would play just like playing on a PS4 outside of possible lag and lower quality video. I still like the portability of the Vita and not being tethered to the TV if other people want to use it, but that's just me. As it is, my internet connection isn't really good enough for remote play anyways so that's all a moot point for me right now.

Colonel Angus
10-05-2014, 05:11 AM
Unless you have a TV in your bathroom, there's only one you can play while sitting on the john.

fat_moogle
10-05-2014, 11:42 AM
First things first, yes, I am male :p

Reading through some of these points is swaying me towards getting another Vita, especially the one about the firmware issue. I know these things can be fixed, but I might as well get the system that works as was intended. I don't know if we'll be getting many more games being announced for the Vita, but if we do it'd be good to know that I'll definitely be able to play them.

Vyk
10-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah it's pretty sad. It must use some ridiculous emulation or something. I figured it'd be wiser to just use real Vita tech and then just tweak the input and video out. But it must be more complicated. Probably why it's so much cheaper. I really want one to play Vita PSP and PSOne all in one on the TV

The thing that tipped me off is a recent update in Japan regarding the Vita versions of Tales of Hearts and Tales of Innocence. Hearts used to work. Now it doesn't. And I already have a fan translation of Innocence. Now I can't play Hearts. Maybe they'll fix it before it comes to the west but it raises concerns

Scotty_ffgamer
10-05-2014, 06:21 PM
That does seem weird though. I always thought that they had said it used the actual Vita hardware. On that note, I also don't understand why they can't use the touch pad on the PS4 controller in place of the touch screen on the Vita. Oh well.

Dr Unne
10-05-2014, 11:07 PM
I don't know if we'll be getting many more games being announced for the Vita, but if we do it'd be good to know that I'll definitely be able to play them.

There are tons of games coming out for Vita all the time. This youtube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC13Puu09ecnll-hhHqbmdNw) is decent if you want to keep up on release news.

Bolivar
10-06-2014, 04:02 PM
There's been a ton of awesome Vita games getting announced lately but a lot of them are cross play with PS4. While that's awesome for commuters like me, I realize it won't mean as much for someone who doesn't really game outside of the house. Still, you already got a Playstation hooked up to a TV, you're going to get more value out of playing those games natively on a handheld anywhere in the house (Vita) versus playing a lower resolution version on a big screen (PS TV). When you factor in those compatibility issues and the touch interface (I really think it augments a lot of games, especially indies) I think it's an easy choice.

fat_moogle
10-06-2014, 09:55 PM
That's very true, Bolivar.

You've all helped me make up my mind. My decision is...

*drum roll*

*continuing drum roll*

The PlayStation Vita! The PS TV sounds like a good device and has the benefit of remote play using a Dual Shock 4, but that's about the only benefit. The Vita has the back touch pad though so that solves that problem, even if some say it can be quite uncomfortable. But I'd rather not be cut off from Vita games that use the touch controls, and as Bolivar says the games will look better.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-06-2014, 10:14 PM
You've made a wise decision. I hope you don't buy your Vita from a Gamestop. Maybe it would be different for you there, but around here all the Gamestops seem to belittle anyone who owns a Vita and does their best to try to hide their inventory of Vita games.

Bolivar
10-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Might wanna wait a month if you can to get a good black Friday or cyber Monday type deal. I know I got the 3G walking dead bundle off Amazon for 170 with a few extra games on top.

Also don't forget to "purchase" your free games off the Playstation Store if you have PS+, so you can transfer them once you register the Vita. This month Pix the Cat, Rainbow Moon and Spelunky are free on Vita (as well as their PS3/PS4 versions), all very well received games.

Mirage
10-07-2014, 06:10 PM
First things first, yes, I am male :p

Reading through some of these points is swaying me towards getting another Vita, especially the one about the firmware issue. I know these things can be fixed, but I might as well get the system that works as was intended. I don't know if we'll be getting many more games being announced for the Vita, but if we do it'd be good to know that I'll definitely be able to play them.

It's too late now. You've been classified as female in my records. Deal with it dot jaypeegee

fat_moogle
10-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Oh yea, I've got PS+ as I'm still on my free trial that was packaged with PS4. I'll make sure to download them :) games might differ a bit for me though as I'm from the UK.And Minage maybe I'll just change my username to Quina, then you can call me what the hell you want! :p

Scotty_ffgamer
10-08-2014, 06:30 AM
Don't forget, even if you are going to wait a while for the Vita, you can still get on PSN on your computer to tie those free PS+ games to your account!