PDA

View Full Version : Nick Jonas - "Jealous"

SuperMillionaire
10-04-2014, 04:45 PM
http://www.justjared.com/2014/09/08/nick-jonas-debuts-new-single-jealous-full-song-lyrics/

Has anyone heard Nick Jonas' new single, "Jealous," yet? It's a pretty cool song, demonstrating that he's all grown up now. His former band, the Jonas Brothers, have broken up, and now Nick Jonas has a solo career. As for his brothers, Joe is trying to go forward with his solo music career as well, but Kevin is now a general contractor who constructs and renovates homes. Nick Jonas was also the executive director for Demi Lovato's Neon Lights concert tour.

Freya
10-04-2014, 04:55 PM
I actually like the song. He was on the radio for some morning show when I was head to work the other day. He played another new song of his, and.... I liked it too. Oh god what's happening to me D:

DMKA
10-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Are they still wearing their purity rings?

fire_of_avalon
10-05-2014, 02:17 AM
DMKA you should look at some of his recent photos. He may have lost the purity ring down his pants.

I think that song is horrible. Stop it. Stop it right now. Just pretend he's someone else and google his press tour photos.

Shiny
10-05-2014, 09:32 PM
No one cares about the Jonas Brothers anymore and in a few years no one will care about any of the One Direction people either. The song is kind of catchy, but the lyrics are repulsive. I'm obsessed and over jealous do what I say because I'm not comfortable with you being you and comfortable, but hey you're sexy. Get over yourself.

I also find it interesting that whenever it starts not to work for these white dude pop singers they immediately go to R&B to try to build a different fan base I guess because they figured it worked for Justin Timberlake, it will work for them. You're not Justin Timberlake, bish!

Side note, good for him for trying though. Hopefully he'll be successful in his pursuit to do something with his career, but he will not be able to get away from his chronic little boy face nor will Justin Bieber.

DMKA
10-05-2014, 11:05 PM
No one cares about the Jonas Brothers anymore and in a few years no one will care about any of the One Direction people either.
And yet here you and I are, talking about them. :p

Shiny
10-07-2014, 02:20 AM
Well he has a nice body so he warrants some sort of attention.

Pumpkin
10-07-2014, 02:53 AM
I saw the title of this thread and somehow I knew who made it

noxious.sunshine
10-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Meh. I've never even heard a Jonas brothers song. ... That I know of.

SuperMillionaire
10-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Here is the music video for the song; it features his girlfriend, Miss Universe 2012, Olivia Culpo.

http://www.justjared.com/2014/09/16/nick-jonas-releases-jealous-video-ft-girlfriend-olivia-culpo/

Old Manus
10-08-2014, 02:36 PM
Hannah Montana, Miss World, Hurricane Katrina, NASCAR, Titanic, and now the Jonas Brothers. They must all be linked somehow.

SuperMillionaire
10-14-2014, 02:40 PM
I don't know what you're talking about, Old Manus.

Anyway...

DMKA you should look at some of his recent photos. He may have lost the purity ring down his pants.

I think that song is horrible. Stop it. Stop it right now. Just pretend he's someone else and google his press tour photos.

You're right about his press photos. Lately, I've seen many child stars, especially Disney Channel stars (think Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, etc), try to prove that they're "all grown up" by doing racy photo shoots and starring in gritty film or TV roles, and now, Nick Jonas is the newest. According to Wikipedia, his new self-titled album, which is set to be released on November 11, 2014, will have a Parental Advisory sticker on it. I also just saw his photo shoot for Flaunt magazine, in which he drops his pants and grabs his groin, which Demi Lovato criticized. And he is also set to star in the Audience Network TV series Kingdom, originally titled Navy Street, which centers around mixed martial arts and drugs. (I can't help but wonder if they plan to have UFC fighter Ronda Rousey guest star in the series, considering her acting role in The Expendables 3.)

Why must former child stars, especially Disney stars, always resort to racy photo shoots, racy acting roles, and/or explicit lyrics in order to prove that they're all grown up?

Freya
10-14-2014, 02:42 PM
Because they aren't child stars forever? They aren't innocent children forever? Because as adults, they do adult things. As actors, like Nick here, he wants to show his acting skills in something different.

They aren't locked into being innocent children.

metagloria
10-14-2014, 02:48 PM
This sounds kinda Drake-y, or Chris-Brown-y. I don't think I mean that in a good way. But it is kind of catchy, and surprising well-textured for a pop song. I'd take it over most anything on the radio at the moment.

noxious.sunshine
10-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Hannah Montana, Miss World, Hurricane Katrina, NASCAR, Titanic, and now the Jonas Brothers. They must all be linked somehow.

What are you talking about? Because Millionaire has made threads about each one?

SuperMillionaire
10-20-2014, 06:25 PM
Another question: why do so many former good teen stars gone bad come from Disney?

noxious.sunshine
10-20-2014, 09:59 PM
Because they fall under tons of pressure. They're stuck upholding these wholesome G rated personalities and lives and are not allowed to make mistakes in the real world. Children and parents alike kind of shove these boys and girls into the roles they're known for and that's It.

On top of working so much on whatever show they're on, plus maybe recording albums, appearances, plus schoolwork... It's a lot for a young person- even if they realize That it is and understand what they've gotten into.

So when they get older, they want to break out of that picture that the network and the General public have painted them in.

It happens with Nickelodeon stars too.

SuperMillionaire
10-24-2014, 01:40 PM
Yes, but it seems to happen more disproportionately with Disney stars than with Nickelodeon stars. Why?

Iceglow
10-27-2014, 02:33 PM
Ok, lets look at how manic the hysteria surrounding the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus in particular was. I've witnessed the Jonas brothers playing about 5 songs and then signing an album when I worked for HMV. The volume of screaming teenage girls was so bad, we were trying to organise having the tills covered and couldn't hear ourselves talking to one another. That was in a stockroom with a soundproofed DJ booth in between us and the floor. We wound up going outside, only to be ambushed by girls begging us to get them backstage. The offers were quite disturbing, more than one girl who was clearly all of 14 made offers which were obviously offers of a sexual favour in return for letting them meet the band, it was pretty grim stuff.

Now the Jonas brothers, which I'm sure didn't have as much of a say in the policies governing them so much as their parents and agents did were expected to live this perfect life. Sibling rivalry wasn't allowed, couldn't have people they hated because if the story broke in the press it'd ruin their image and Disney would drop them like they were hot. It's an enormous amount of pressure for a bunch of pre-teen and adolescent children to deal with. Their contracts with Disney run up until they're about 18. After that Disney isn't interested because they're no longer the teen sensation, the child star and drop them.

All of a sudden, these kids who weren't allowed to go through their rebellious teenage years find themselves free of those constraints and filthy rich too. Outside of America at least they can also drink legally, not that it stops them in the USA either. So with no one saying you can't do this and having been unable to act freely before they go hog wild. Except this isn't the hog wild attitude of a 14/15 year old who may sneak off for the odd smoke or drink, until they decide how they feel about it, or whatever we got up to at 14/15 which we weren't allowed to do (this includes boyfriends and girlfriends for many of them who were actively told to sell their availability and good looks whilst not actually having a normal relationship). It's the hog wild of someone doing all of that plus the fact that legally they can sleep around and don't have to listen to Mom, Dad or their Agents telling them no. They can disregard parental advice or fire an agent because simply put they're an adult.

Add in to that mix that the press still continue to call them "child stars" or "teen heart-throbs" and you'll get a huge kick back from these adults going "But I am grown up now!" which the press largely ignores because Disney fostered this press image that they were just these cool kids. Eventually you wind up with the stars doing the only things they can do to prove that they're an adult. This generally will involve some kind of adult level photo shoot or acting role or in Miley's case where despite everything else she'd already done the press still insisted on ignoring the fact that she was an adult, the wrecking ball video where she's butt naked.

Now as to the actual song? It's fairly standard rnb/pop fare. The melody is catchy and the lyrics aren't half as dire as most of the other stuff in that genre at this time... Anaconda anyone? I thought so. Lyrically the song has a message most people who have dated an attractive person will relate to in some ways. It's from the male perspective but could easily be flipped to be from the female perspective too. When you strip it back the core message is; "I think you're amazing and sexy and I'm definitely proud that you chose me. Yet, when you're there showing everyone everything what makes you so sexy to me and reveling in the attention it brings I get a little jealous, is nothing just between us?" It reveals a little insecurity of the writer and is something many, if not all of us can relate to when it comes to relationships. Of course, songs with a personal message like that do better with music videos which aren't featuring your actual miss universe girlfriend deliberately showing off her sexy looks and the fact that she's reveling in the attention gotten as a result but that's my view on it.

noxious.sunshine
10-29-2014, 09:42 PM
I remember Nick Jonas saying he smoked pot with Miley and Demi back when they were all still under Disney contracts heh.

Shiny
10-30-2014, 07:29 AM
Another question: why do so many former good teen stars gone bad come from Disney?

Children in the media industry are introduced to a lot of things no child should be around such as drugs and sex. This added with the stress of being a bread-winner for their families at a young age adds to their distress when they become a rebellious age in their "acting out" years. The stress can internalize in to many things: resentment towards parents, resentment towards the industry, feeling used, feeling powerless, feeling they missed out on their childhood. These are all things that cause a person who was once maybe pure, to act out. Sometimes people who are around them enable them as well -- they enable this bad behavior for whatever reason. I am speaking about a particular person, but realizing this could really apply to every single child star turned adult star. It's sad.

SuperMillionaire
11-05-2014, 02:12 PM
I remember Nick Jonas saying he smoked pot with Miley and Demi back when they were all still under Disney contracts heh.

Actually, that was Joe Jonas, not Nick Jonas.

And also, because Disney was afraid of getting another Miley Cyrus-like scandal, they didn't push Debby Ryan (of Jessie fame), Zendaya, and Bella Thorne (both of Shake It Up fame). Zendaya is set to star in a new Disney Channel Original Series, named K.C. Undercover, and Bella Thorne will be a background guest co-star. It wasn't always that way, though; back when Walt Disney himself ran his company, they didn't have scandals like they do now. Annette Funicello never went nude, long after she left Disney. Hilary Duff did have one racy film role and a Maxim photo shoot, but other than that, for the most part, she remained decent, and is planning a comeback soon; she does not plan to return with a racy, sexed-up image.

I think Disney needs to change the way they do business. For one, when they cross over into music, they should not have their lyrics sound too childish. Too often, when something is suitable for children, it's ONLY for children, and that has to change. They need to start making music that can appeal to all ages. What else do you think Disney should do in order to change how alumni feel about their time at Disney once they outgrow it?

Freya
11-05-2014, 03:12 PM
Actually, Duff is back, she had a new song out recently.

Bubba
11-05-2014, 04:38 PM
I have never heard a Jonas Brothers song. I'm quite proud of this fact and have no intention of listening to one of their solo efforts. Good look to them though. The one thing the music industry is missing is generic RNB/pop songs. Oh wait...

SuperMillionaire
11-12-2014, 05:38 PM
According to Wikipedia, Nick Jonas recently released a gospel version of "Jealous," as well as another remix version of "Jealous" that features R&B singer Tinashe, and this remix version contains swear words.

SuperMillionaire
12-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Are they still wearing their purity rings?

Not anymore, apparently.

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/nick-jonas-is-no-longer-a-virgin-wrote-jealous-for-olivia-culpo-20141911

According to this article, Nick Jonas is no longer a virgin! Both he and Joe Jonas broke the pledge! (Kevin Jonas, however, did not.)

Freya
12-01-2014, 02:51 PM
That's not news I want to know about.... How is that news?

SuperMillionaire
12-12-2014, 02:31 PM
His new album is out now, and it does have the PA sticker on it.

But also, I want to know: is it really very necessary for former child stars to swear in music, star in racy roles, and do racy photo shoots?

Freya
12-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Just because they are former child stars doesn't mean they are children forever. If, as adults, they feel they would like to do any of your listed racy things, then they have that right as a person.

noxious.sunshine
12-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Why do you even care though, is the bigger question?

They're not members of your family. They're not bothering you.

SuperMillionaire
12-19-2014, 05:24 PM
I know they're not children forever, but still, I don't think it should be necessary.

And the reason why I care is because little children, including some of my relatives, look up to them as role models.

Freya
12-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Why do you think it shouldn't be necessary that an adult feels okay in doing adult things?

Also the comment about role models, they're human. If you're relatives are looking up to tv stars as role models and expecting them to be the pillar of piety then they are attributing their tv show roles and morals to the actors themselves. That is just a role they play, not themselves. What you should do is encourage your relatives to have role models that are good people themselves. Like Malala Yousafzai. She's the youngest Nobel Peace prize winner and currently only 17. She's fighting for child education and human rights in the middle east. If you listen to her speak, she's quite brilliant at such a young age.

My point is, SuperMillionaire, is that actors are acting. They aren't who they are on tv. They aren't choosing to do great and noble things like their roles may suggest. If, outside their roles, they are doing great things then that makes them worthy of a role model title but not merely for the roles they take as actors. Like Emma Watson for example and her female rights advocacy in less socially developed areas. Or Angelina Jolie and being a UN Ambassador of peace and goodwill. You should encourage your family members, if they really want a role model, to aspire to be like those who do good things on their own because they are good people. Not because of a role or channel they we on but because they want to help people and the world.

Actors are people too. Just because they are on tv doesn't mean they must be or act a certain way in their personal life.