PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider FFIV to be the template for the series?

Wolf Kanno
10-04-2014, 06:49 PM
While FFII may have been the first plot driven entry, IV is both an improved story driven experience but also the first character driven piece in the series. It sets up the whole notion that the FF series will be defined by its great stories, characters, and emotional music coupled with cutting edge gameplay like the ATB system. Thoughts?

VeloZer0
10-04-2014, 07:52 PM
Yes, absolutely.

Mirage
10-04-2014, 10:40 PM
Not really.

Depression Moon
10-05-2014, 12:05 AM
Just the battle system. I haven't played much of XIII, but all the FFs after it just seem like a derivation of the ATB system with the exception of X.

Tetra Master
10-05-2014, 06:58 AM
I would say that 5 - 9 follow a similar style as 4 with a twist or two (5's class system, learning skills through equipment in 9, minigames, etc)

After Squaresoft however, I see SE wanting to create a completely unique title every time. In even X, I see a little of the same elements with the unique elements, but after that I would say the series fully pulled away from the "framework". Not saying that's a bad thing; I thought 12 was still good even if it wasn't the same traditional style, and I can't speak for 13-2 or 14 because I haven't tried them, but it does seem like the games are moving further away from the classics.