PDA

View Full Version : So let's talk about a Remake.

Wolf Kanno
10-04-2014, 07:04 PM
So recently at PAX, Sakaguchi mentioned he would have loved to see this game get a remake due to him having very fond memories of developing the game with the staff. So I was wondering... Do you feel remaking this game is a good idea? What would you like to see? What would you not like to see?

Fynn
10-04-2014, 07:06 PM
FFIV DS-style remake, please, on the 3DS. I want some nice voice acting and a nice script like that one had. Maybe some additional content like a new battle mechanic. Just don't know what yet. I'll be back.

VeloZer0
10-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I would rather FF5 get remade before FF6. I think it would add more there.

And done in the style of FF3 & FF4 DS. I really enjoyed those.

Taiga
10-04-2014, 07:56 PM
As much as I'd sometimes like to see classic Final Fantasy titles with awesome graphics (if they were remade for PS3 or PS4) - I'm not really a fan of remakes. I don't know, to me it feels like remakes of popular entries e.g. such as VI and VII would never live up to many fans' expectations and thus would end up being bashed, anyway.
I think VI is perfectly fine the way it is. :)

chionos
10-05-2014, 01:51 AM
>_< I don't know. FFVI being my favorite, I kind of don't want to see it defiled. I like it as it is. This despite clamoring for a remake in the past. I think I'm happy with it just the way it is now.

Colonel Angus
10-05-2014, 04:30 AM
FFIV DS looks fugly.

The Man
10-05-2014, 04:52 AM
If they remake this game I want them to do it right. And that means no half-assing it like the cell phone version that came out earlier this year, and it also means nothing like the DS/PSP versions. I want a full HD 3D remake with current-gen graphics, a full orchestral score, and at least competent voice acting. I'd also like to see an update of the battle system like what they did with FFIV's DS remake; incorporating some features of the job system would be nice, for example.

There's more but that would be a nice start.

Colonel Angus
10-05-2014, 05:07 AM
It's kind of amazing that fans are clamoring for a VII remake & they balk @ that, but they're interested in doing VI instead.

The Man
10-05-2014, 05:09 AM
To be fair, this wasn't Square Enix that was talking about a VI remake; it was Sakaguchi. And he said he'd be interested in a VII remake as well.

Tetra Master
10-05-2014, 06:13 AM
Its hard to imagine the pre-7 games, like what Kefka would look like, in 3d graphics, though if it were the same exact game afterwards it would be interesting.

VeloZer0
10-05-2014, 07:14 AM
Its hard to imagine the pre-7 games, like what Kefka would look like, in 3d graphics
Well, you can already see a 3D Kefka and Terra in Dissidia.

The Man
10-05-2014, 07:51 AM
There's also the FMVs from the PlayStation edition of the game.

Shiva95
10-05-2014, 01:32 PM
If they remake this game I want them to do it right. And that means no half-assing it like the cell phone version that came out earlier this year, and it also means nothing like the DS/PSP versions. I want a full HD 3D remake with current-gen graphics, a full orchestral score, and at least competent voice acting. I'd also like to see an update of the battle system like what they did with FFIV's DS remake; incorporating some features of the job system would be nice, for example.

There's more but that would be a nice start.
I totally agree with you.

Sephiroth
10-05-2014, 01:35 PM
A cel-shaded anime remake with PS4 graphics would be great.

Colonel Angus
10-05-2014, 04:16 PM
Kefka's collar in VeloZer0's pic looks like it has a Union Jack design.

Spooniest
10-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Kefka's collar in VeloZer0's pic looks like it has a Union Jack design.

"In flies a man who's all dressed up like a Union Jack!"

...Ahem. [/stones]

The best part, for me, of the IV remake on the DS was the voice acting. They really did a nice job bringing the characters to life. When Rydia screams, "I HATE YOU!!!" I believe her.

Now just picture in your mind, a remake of Final Fantasy VI with voice acting.

Moments like Terra's first transformation, Cyan's tragic losses at Doma, Sabin suplexing the Phantom Train (they would have to leave that in), and Ramuh's heroic sacrifice will be powerful, full of emotion and punch! And that's not even getting into the spectacle that the Floating Continent and the ensuing events will be!

O_O

Want this. I want this bad.

chionos
10-15-2014, 07:35 PM
I agree with you, Spoons. The only problem is that those moments are so iconic, it would be really easy to screw it all up.

I would want the Maduin & Madeline interaction to be perfect. For instance, that moment in the cave when Terra's conceived, would have to be pure magic.

Kefka would have to be perfect, or the whole thing would be ruined for me.

Ultros would need to be perfectly cast.

How would they handle the opera scenes?

FFVI has a lot of really difficult roles to fill. And that's just for the NPCs!

When you think about it, FFVI has a huge diverse cast that would require a bunch of actors.

The FFIV remake only had 17 actors for 22 parts.

FFVI would need:

Terra
Celes
Locke
Sabin
Edgar
Strago
Relm
Shadow
Setzer
Cyan
Gau
Mog/Moogles (would probably do Umaro too)
Gogo (could be done by another actor, though)
+
Rachel
Gestahl
Kefka
Leo
Banon
Ultros
Ultima Weapon
Arvis
Maduin
Madeline
Elayne, maybe Owain
Cid
Ramuh
Darill (wouldn't have to have her speak, but I would like to see it)
Lone Wolf
the Impresario
Siegfried
Vargas
possibly Duane and Katarin
Duncan

So between like 32 and 36 roles to fill, even counting some crossover, and if it were me making the game, it would be even bigger. FFVI has one of the richest groups of NPCs in the whole series, imo, and I wouldn't want them to get skipped over for practical reasons, because the NPCs add a lot to this game. FFVI comes close to the kinds of casts needed for the big boys, for FFX and FFXII. FFX had, what, 26 voice actors and FFXII had 32. FFVI would need close to those numbers to do justice to the game, for me personally.

Don't get me wrong, part of me would love to see it happen. But it's scary. This is favorite game of all time territory.

VeloZer0
10-15-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure how you can replicate Kefka's laugh with actual voices. I'm assuming the SE devs figured this out as well, given the lack of cackling in Dissidia.

chionos
10-15-2014, 09:51 PM
I'm not sure how you can replicate Kefka's laugh with actual voices. I'm assuming the SE devs figured this out as well, given the lack of cackling in Dissidia.

I can hear it in my head, the way it should be. But I don't know how it would be handled. I don't know that any voice actor I can think of could do it on their own, meaning there might need to be some digital manipulation involved.

Spooniest
10-15-2014, 10:22 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33809435/KefkaLaugh.mp3

I does it.

chionos
10-15-2014, 11:00 PM
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33809435/KefkaLaugh.mp3

I does it.

That's not too bad, really. Just needs some wark, and a little scratched vinyl.

Colonel Angus
10-16-2014, 01:54 AM
I think they could use the classic laugh, even w/ a normal voiceover. It would kind of be like a fan service.

I don't think they'd have to get different voice actors for every role. Smaller roles in particular could share voice actors.

chionos
10-16-2014, 02:55 AM
I think they could use the classic laugh, even w/ a normal voiceover. It would kind of be like a fan service.

I don't think they'd have to get different voice actors for every role. Smaller roles in particular could share voice actors.

Well, my point is that this won't work as well with FFVI as with many other games. The characterizations are so distinct that they need either a diverse cast, or high-end voice actors who can do a wide range of voices, and even then the cast would need to quite large for a remake.

Colonel Angus
10-16-2014, 03:38 AM
If the Simpsons can do it w/ 3 male voice actors, I think FFVI can get by.

chionos
10-16-2014, 03:53 AM

Uh, no. If they turn my FFVI into cheese, heads will roll. Those are comedy-centric cartoon characters. FFVI has more gravitas in its pinky toe, which is my point.

Colonel Angus
10-16-2014, 05:01 AM

Uh, no. If they turn my FFVI into cheese, heads will roll. Those are comedy-centric cartoon characters. FFVI has more gravitas in its pinky toe, which is my point.
IDK what the Simpsons being a comedy has to do w/ what we're talking about. The point I'm making is that voice actors, good one in particular, are capable of doing more than one voice.

Another thing, I don't know what game you were playing, but I don't think "gravitas" when I think FFVI.

chionos
10-16-2014, 06:32 AM

IDK what the Simpsons being a comedy has to do w/ what we're talking about. The point I'm making is that voice actors, good one in particular, are capable of doing more than one voice.

Another thing, I don't know what game you were playing, but I don't think "gravitas" when I think FFVI.

The point is that comedy can get away with voice actor crossover easier than drama, unless the actor's good enough to sound like a completely different character, and there aren't a whole lot of those. Look at the voice cast for comedy animation vs drama/serious animation. It speaks for itself.

Perhaps gravitas is too strong a word, I just mean the characters carry more emotional weight.

Spooniest
10-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Well...Edgar and Sabin could certainly share a VA. And possibly Locke.

Cyan and Strago, and if the VA is particluarly good, Setzer.

I can see getting by with a smaller VA cast than a 1:1 ratio would produce.

chionos
10-16-2014, 07:34 PM
:erm:

Cyan, Strago, and Setzer by the same VA? You and I have very different ideas about those caracters' personalities, my friend.

I could see Strago and Gestahl.

I could see Setzer and maybe the Impresario.

Edgar and Sabin perhaps (though, I'd hope to hear some distinction between the two) but not Locke.

Like I said before, of course there would be some crossover. All of the FF games have had crossover. Most movies have some crossover. Typically that only shrinks the cast by about 15-30%, which in this case would still require quite a large cast for a remake. My point isn't that this would be impossible. My point isn't that they couldn't do it with an even smaller cast. Hell, you could make any game in existence fully voiced with only one person technically. But it wouldn't be good. My point is that they wouldn't go strong enough; they would use too much crossover, and likely leave several important characters (to me, anyway) voiceless, which would be painful for me as FFVI is my favorite game of all time. It's special. Thus, I'd rather have the game undefiled. To me, just on a personal level, it's just not worth it, even though I would absolutely love a remake if they were true to the original and went all out and really did the game justice.

Spooniest
10-16-2014, 08:39 PM
Enough about the VAs.

You know that thing they did in the remake of Final Fantasy III where the encounters with monsters were "condensed?" Like instead of fighting 2 zombies, you'd fight one really powerful zombie.

That's a copout. The game needs to have its monster formations kept intact. I certainly wouldn't mind a few new monster formations, or possibly even new monsters(?), but if the devs try to hack and slash this game to bits in order to fit it on a portable system, I will be upset.

Another thing: I want to see some action in the cutscenes. FF4's cutscenes are pretty good, but there's not enough action in them. Take, for instance, the guy who unlocks the door to the throneroom. This should be a cutscene, for one thing, and for another thing, introduce some action. Don't just have the guy transform, standing still, and then rush at Cecil and Co....you can make him transform and lunge at them at the same time. ACTION!

A good example of this is going to be how they deal with the Opera Scene. If it's just "Chocobos move from stage right to stage left, Draco model changes to lying on his face at the moment they intersect on screen", then the devs have phoned it in. I want to see camera cuts, reaction shots, ACTION! This isn't a SNES game, you can do better!

Bascially I want SE to give a Kupo about making it, because the original team sure did.

chionos
10-16-2014, 09:57 PM
:lol:

So anyway.

I'd prefer no cutscenes, actually, unless they're going to go all out and spend a ton of money to really make some worthwhile full-on FMV, like the opening to FFIV remake. They won't, they'll just use the game models, and I'd rather use my imagination. Game model movies do nothing for me. In fact, sometimes they take away from the game. As in, gosh I imagined it WAY better than this. If they're not going to go balls-to-the-wall, I'd rather them not waste their time or my time on it. Like Valo said, if they're going to give it a FFIV update, I'd rather see FFV.

Colonel Angus
10-17-2014, 01:01 AM
The point is, WHO would we get to voice for WHO? (who/whom? whom/who? I still can't get that right.)

chionos
10-17-2014, 03:29 AM
The point is, WHO would we get to voice for WHO? (who/whom? whom/who? I still can't get that right.)

whom/whom

To find out, answer the question with pronouns. If you'd use he/she, then it should be "who." If you'd use him/her, then it should be "whom."

e.g.
We would get Cate Blanchett to voice Celes.
i.e.
We would get her to voice her.

Who is the subject, the object is whom.

Well according to most of you, just get John DiMaggio and let him do all the voices. Easy enough right? :eep:

VeloZer0
10-17-2014, 07:12 AM
I actually like cut-scenes done with in-game models much better than ones with far more detailed ones. I find it ruins the immersion when all of a sudden the characters look different.

escobert
10-17-2014, 07:17 AM
I would like to see a remake. I was very happy with III and really want to try IV. It might get me into VI.

The Man
10-17-2014, 12:15 PM

whom/whom

To find out, answer the question with pronouns. If you'd use he/she, then it should be "who." If you'd use him/her, then it should be "whom."

e.g.
i.e.

Who is the subject, the object is whom.Doesn't that make it who/whom? Because the first "who" is the subject, unless I'm severely mistaken :monster:

Sephiroth
10-17-2014, 02:53 PM
Make a cel-shaded Anime graphics PS4 Remake with Anime cutscenes.

Spooniest
10-17-2014, 05:55 PM
I would prefer if there were some consistency in the character models. Perhaps they could make their first ultra-realistic FF? You know, make the character models the way they look in the opening FMV for a change?

Separate train of thought: one of the keys here is going to be the speed of the battle engine. Even if it's not full-on ATB (even though Final Fantasy X-2 was...?), it should move and animate FAST, like we're talking no time to breathe at all.

http://youtu.be/qVWI4TgRFMM?t=40s

Note: Please ignore the mush-mouthed "announcer"...people just don't know how to talk into a microphone these days...

But observe. And listen to this instead (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bs67QjagDtM) while you do.

You notice, animations don't take up nearly as much time. The rule should be: as flashy as you want, but finished within a 5 second time frame. Get the game MOVING!

It's bad enough we have to deal with super long load times, installation, downloads and junk like that in the last generation, don't WASTE MY TIME. Final Fantasy VI was cool for precisely this reason...it's a JRPG but it gets on with it!!!

nMUnbNPCoSw

Sephiroth
10-17-2014, 06:00 PM
I prefer this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvS0REaNCLE

chionos
10-17-2014, 06:24 PM

whom/whom

e.g.
i.e.

Who is the subject, the object is whom.Doesn't that make it who/whom? Because the first "who" is the subject, unless I'm severely mistaken :monster:

That first "who" isn't the subject of the sentence, "we" is. Which noun in the sentence is doing the verb? Ewww, that sounds dirty. "Would get" is an action being done by "we."
You could move the sentence around to make it clearer: We would get whom to voice for whom? You can see there that "we" is clearly the subject.

Sephiroth. That sounds terrible. Not kidding, if they do that I'll never play another SE game ever again. Not that I'm against cel-shading or anime style, it just doesn't fit FFVI. At all.

That video reminded me, one of the big things for me is the sound effects. The early FFs had spot-on perfect sound design. The fizzy sound of the Aura Bolt, Edgar's tools, the sound of opening a chest, even the menu sounds were specific and seemed to fit. And I think part of it was that the sounds were dirty, earthy, deep. I think some of the later games move away from this toward flash, glitz, and shine which feels much less immersive for me.

The Man
10-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Oh you're right. That's what I get for posting while half asleep.

I don't like the idea of a cel-shaded remake. I do like that remake of The Decisive Battle Sephiroth posted though. More stuff like that would be cool.

Sephiroth
10-18-2014, 03:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSDhnuMPQQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SyLJ3MuQrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF6BH5MFG2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF6BH5MFG2U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJeOJ3zcs4E

Provide some context duder.

The context is already given by me having posted what I imagine the graphics and music of a remake to be like. You should train analyzing before replying to every comment with another claim that is wrong in context of what user x said. I am the same Sephiroth person posting his thoughts about remade versions before. And a user even replied he would like some more like that.

chionos
10-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Provide some context duder.

Slothy
10-18-2014, 09:10 PM
If anyone were to do a remake, it should be done right. Forget about 3D and make it in the style of the original Amano concept art. I suppose it could be done in 3D if it were made to look that way as well, but my god I don't want to think about how much of a pain it'd be to program those shaders.

VeloZer0
10-18-2014, 10:09 PM
See the thing is I don't think that the sprites from FF6 look anything like the Amano art. And I don't even like the Amano art.

chionos
10-19-2014, 01:31 AM
They don't. I would love to see a FF go full-on Amano style but I doubt we'll ever see it. I hope if it ever happens it's better than the IV-remake style. I insist that FFVI deserves more.

Colonel Angus
10-19-2014, 01:44 AM
A no to Amano.

Spooniest
10-19-2014, 02:55 AM
There should be a balance struck between the designs of SNES FF6 and Amano's artwork. The SNES models were overly simplistic representations of the original artwork.

That being said, if they change Terra's hair to blonde there will be a shitstorm on the internet immediately.

Spooniest
10-19-2014, 02:55 AM
There should be a balance struck between the designs of SNES FF6 and Amano's artwork. The SNES models were overly simplistic representations of the original artwork.

That being said, if they change Terra's hair to blonde there will be a shitstorm on the internet immediately.

chionos
10-19-2014, 03:14 AM

That being said, if they change Terra's hair to blonde there will be a troutstorm on the internet immediately.

There'll be a shitstorm in my pants, I know that much.

That being said, if they change Terra's hair to blonde there will be a troutstorm on the internet immediately.

There will be a shitstorm on EoFF, I know that much.

Spooniest
10-19-2014, 03:15 AM

There'll be a shitstorm in my pants, I know that much.

There will be a shitstorm on EoFF, I know that much.

:| Wat

Colonel Angus
10-19-2014, 04:11 AM
:argh: They better not touch those green locks!

Spooniest
10-19-2014, 05:06 AM
And Sabin must be able to suplex the train.

Pretty much all there is to it, beyond maintaining the speed of the gameplay and story progression.

betrayer_of_hope
10-23-2014, 01:04 AM
I literally just signed up to this forum because I saw this thread. I've been an FF fan since Final Fantasy 2 came out for the SNES. After playing 3 (VI) I was changed. I have been hoping for a remake ever since remakes started becoming a thing. I soon realized that this was not in the picture for Squenix. Well I just finished getting my AS in Video Game Design and I'm here to find like minded gentlemen and women who would be interested in doing the remake ourselves. A team tried to do a Chrono Trigger remake but got shut down. Their mistake was posting updates about it as well as a trailer. Anyone interested in doing this on the downlow? My thoughts on the Opera scene would be something similar to the new rhythm game, you would have to hit the notes as they came across the screen, and tied in to the singing. So is there anyone on this with any Max or Maya skills?

Rowan
10-23-2014, 01:15 AM
I think if they decide to remake any final fantasy, they should not use the 3ds as their platform as it is not worthy of remaking a game to its full potential. Could you imagine the beauty of Terra if she was rendered using the power of the Playstation 4? Could you imagine how intricate the detail in the steampunk style towns? Imagine how awesome the raft scene would be with current gen graphics. Any remake considered should be done using the best available tools. Sure, it would take much more effort, but who wants to settle for something that was just thrown together on an aging handheld console with low polygon graphics? When people talk about a remake of any game, the main factor for me is purely in how the graphics are presented, because lets face it, its the same game with updated graphics.

Spooniest
10-23-2014, 02:32 AM
We seem pretty unanimous on here. I like everything that's being said.

Sabin must suplex the train, and all that, but so far there's nothing here that sounds like much of a bad idea...

...Except maybe the whole anime-cel-shaded thing. I don't think that'd work.

chionos
10-23-2014, 02:45 AM
...Except maybe the whole anime-cel-shaded thing. I don't think that'd work.

Well, it could work maybe. I mean, they could make a good game out of it. It just wouldn't be the same FFVI. It wouldn't be what I personally would want out of a remake. I mean, I'm not against cel-shading outright, there have been plenty of cel-shaded games that I loved (Dark Cloud being an obvious example). I just think it wouldn't nearly do the game justice. If you can go all-out (and we know SE can go all-out), then fucking go all-out.