PDA

View Full Version : FFXV's reception may spell the end of the Console FF.

Wolf Kanno
10-04-2014, 07:46 PM
Thought this might be interesting to discuss.

So in an interview with Kotaku (yes it's from Kotaku get over it) Tabata mentioned how still wanted to make console FFs but due to shifts in demographics within Japan and possible changing interest in the West, the future of the console FF might be changing for the company and it may all come down to how XV fares when it's released.

Here's the quote:

There's probably a cultural explanation for why the Japanese market is shifting toward handheld or smartphone devices. It's pretty unique to Japan, where everyone is transporting—they have long train rides and bus rides to work, they have time to play handheld devices, or they're spending more time in their own rooms vs. spending more time in the living room.

There's this kind of trend to being more accessible. But since I was very young, I've played games for long hours, I spent long amounts of time in front of the TV, delving into the games. So I enjoy those types of games, and I naturally want to create those types of games for the current generation and the next generations to come.

So in terms of whether console games will be received moving forward, it's not to say that I don't have any concerns at all, but I believe that it'll really depend on how Final Fantasy XV does. Because I really want more people to enjoy games in the living room, on a big screen. If Final Fantasy XV doesn't do well, perhaps there's not much of a future for console games. It kind of really depends on how that goes

Whether you believe his words or not, this kind of brings us back to the idea from this thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/158885-What-if-FF-as-a-series-ended?p=3461850#post3461850) but what are your thoughts on this?

Jinx
10-04-2014, 07:51 PM
I'm actually not surprised to hear this at all, and sort of assumed this was the case. I really wouldn't be surprised at all if FFXV was the Final Final Fantasy.

Fox
10-04-2014, 08:12 PM
I think it's a bit of an overreaction, but the core idea is not incorrect. Is there a future for home console RPGs? Of course there is. But, maybe they aren't going to be big system sellers like they used to be. I can definitely see a future where they have to trim down the budgets for these things a bit - I think a main Final Fantasy is always going to sell a couple of million copies, but it very might might only sell a couple of million. In days gone by, you might expect significantly more than that.

So if that turns out to be the case and they have any sense, they'll make slightly less ambitious games on a slightly smaller budget and turn them around a bit faster. It could actually being exactly what the franchise needs, somewhere around the release of XII SE seemed to decide that Final Fantasy needed to be the most spectacular, cutting edge RPG franchise out there, and every main entry since then has found itself in development hell. But we don't need a franchise that's new and inventive and on the cutting technical edge every single game - we just need a good RPG. If they find themselves not doing the numbers to maintain the bloated budgets, they may have to refocus their attentions on a more realistic goal, which could actually be beneficial.

Of course, this relies on the execs being smart enough not to just can the series on a knee-jerk reaction. I can't say I'm mega​ confident.

Hannibal_Khan
10-04-2014, 08:22 PM
I dont think it will be the last. There's speculation that XV is supposed to have sequels, so there's that. And what about Agni's Philosophy?? does anyone here want to see that become a Final Fantasy game?

Psychotic
10-04-2014, 08:30 PM
I can believe it. The times they are a-changin'. Final Fantasy isn't the blockbuster intellectual property it used to be and Square has struggled to keep up and keeps thinking the way forward is huge budget development projects with cutting edge graphics. In the PS1 era you can get away with that but not now. The business model needed to change and didn't.

I don't think it'll be the Final Final Fantasy as Jinx suggests, but Final Final Triple A console release? Sure. The next Final Fantasy games will be MMOs, Bravely Default style handheld titles and various spin off phone titles.

That is unless they initiate Operation Last Resort: FFVII Remake. I doubt they have the appetite to take that on though.

Hannibal_Khan
10-04-2014, 10:13 PM
What does you guys think about this?? http://www.mognetcentral.com/threads/ffxvi-the-mainline-ff-hidden-from-the-public-for-6-years-and-counting.2692/

Fox
10-04-2014, 10:20 PM
What does you guys think about this?? http://www.mognetcentral.com/threads/ffxvi-the-mainline-ff-hidden-from-the-public-for-6-years-and-counting.2692/Very interesting, although it does make an awful lot of assumptions that when people weren't working on [project X] they must have been working on XVI. It would be cool if true though; if they could have it ready and release it in 2017, that would be amazing.

Colonel Angus
10-04-2014, 10:58 PM
Squeenix is falling into that Miyamoto mindset that w/ every release they have to reinvent the wheel. They might want to just take a step back & give the audience what they really want, a good rpg. They don't need to try some inane leveling system or some inefficient battle system.

Basically, they need to get back to basics w/ the main entries & if they want to go off the wall, do it w/ another franchise or a spin-off game. They've been making FFs for too long as JRPGs; people are used to that. If they trail off too far now, it might be a detriment.

Wolf Kanno
10-05-2014, 12:02 AM
What does you guys think about this?? http://www.mognetcentral.com/threads/ffxvi-the-mainline-ff-hidden-from-the-public-for-6-years-and-counting.2692/

I've been seeing this make the rumor mills lately. Honestly the idea that Ito has been developing XVI in the background would be wonderful especially since he hasn't really done anything substantial since XII. I'm of the "I'll believe it when I see it" crowd as I find it hard to believe it has been in development this whole time and SE, who usually jump at the chance to announce a new FF IP, hasn't said a word about it. I mean right after Versus XIII got changed to XV, the SE I know would have probably released the title image for XVI right after to get the fanbase a buzzing.

Colonel Angus
10-05-2014, 12:09 AM
Or maybe they don't want to jump the gun like they did w/... you know.

Del Murder
10-05-2014, 12:18 AM
I think there will be a FFXVI on consoles. After that, who knows. I find it hard to believe they will let this clustersmurf of a game from a development perspective be the last main entry on console. Chances are FFXVI has been in development since the announcement of the new consoles and they are waiting until XV is released to announce it.

DMKA
10-05-2014, 12:40 AM
Kotaku

Stopped reading there.

Wolf Kanno
10-05-2014, 12:44 AM
Kotaku

Stopped reading there.

Which is why I placed the actual quote in there from Tabata. :p