PDA

View Full Version : FFXV Battle System

Hannibal_Khan
10-05-2014, 10:58 PM
This was found on 2ch and was supposedly written by a SE employee.

http://hissi.org/read.php/ff/20140928/WkMrcHBtY3Ew.html
Here's a translation:

- Hold Combo~ The AI reads the situation and performs the combo, but you can freely choose which weapon comes at the beginning and the end of the combo. The final hit becomes a strong attack.
When there are no enemies and (or?) you hold the attack button the weapon you used last will be set as the first. Depending on the beginning (first) weapon the evasion action and things like that change.
The attacking motion is slow to make it easier on the player to check the weapon he is using and decide whether he wants to use that one or not in the end.
Depending on which weapon you use for the final hit you can do stuff like launching enemies in the air or tie in other actions (like using items or magic).
But, if you get greedy and attack too much you will die quickly. You will die easily to AoE attacks and the like.
In other words, 15 has been changed from high speed action to that which favors strategy; however, since it emphasis is placed on each attack you make, the combat still feels refreshing and it is very easy to do with just one button.
Also, currently a weapon change icon has been added so you can know which weapon will be used. Whether it adds to the speed is being investigated (?).

- Regular attacks, evasion ~ This can be performed by pressing once. You can tap it as well, but your weapon will not change. You can dodge to whichever place you want.

- Support actions ~ Because you can only control the main character, it's hard to get an actual feel for your party's leveling up, but support actions have been added to have the player get a feel for this.
As their level grows, the types of support attacks increase and you can set this freely making for a variety of actions.
For example, you get a feel like you're controlling/moving both Noctis and Prompto at the same time (?) and you can use Prompto's attack to shoot enemies in the air.
Also, there is another link system in which your party covers you when you make a mistake.

Here's a good very describing how the phantom swords work also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTHUs_hO4c&list=WL&index=1

Wolf Kanno
10-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Sounds interesting, I'm digging the concept of making it less button mashing like early KH games and more about strategy. Hopefully the game will be challenging enough to make the tactical combat feel worthwhile.

Del Murder
10-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Yep, sounds interesting. Hopefully it will not be 'hold X to win'. I like the idea of the action slowing down during a combo to let you choose the finisher.

fat_moogle
10-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Sounds interesting! I like the fact that it sounds like there is strategy involved and you will die if you attempt to go in for all out attack. Tabata said that if he can he'd like to do another stream on the 1st November, so hopefully we'll get more info on this before Jump Festa. When is that, December?

Then it'll only be 3 months until the Final Fantasy XV demo! and Type-0 HD but I don't want to go off topic :p

Hannibal_Khan
10-07-2014, 01:06 AM
That's if we get the demo same day as type-0 release. I don't think SE confirmed it was tho...

What would a demo in march say about XV release date?

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2014, 05:30 AM
If their past records hold true, it would mean the game will be released within a year of its release. The XII demo was about 11 months from the full games release, XIII's was 9 months apart from its actual release.

Freya
10-08-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm interested in how it will work when you actually play it. Can't wait for the demo!

Rocket Edge
10-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Still not down with the idea that's it's essentially an action RPG. I generally find most games with this style of gameplay messy and boring. What was wrong with it being turn based? Nothing is what. This is how you can alienate some of your audience.

I'll sit on the fence but I'm not hyped for two reasons. The gameplay as stated above, and the whole FFXIII fiasco. I hope for the future of the franchise (and for EoFF mind) that it's a great game and I'm wrong. It just doesn't feel like a Final Fantasy game to me.

fat_moogle
10-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Still not down with the idea that's it's essentially an action RPG. I generally find most games with this style of gameplay messy and boring. What was wrong with it being turn based? Nothing is what. This is how you can alienate some of your audience. Would you have minded if it was still a spin off? A lot of the audience you're saying are being isolated were looking forward to Versus XIII knowing full well that it was an Action RPG.

FFFFsephychibi
10-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Still not down with the idea that's it's essentially an action RPG. I generally find most games with this style of gameplay messy and boring. What was wrong with it being turn based? Nothing is what. This is how you can alienate some of your audience. Would you have minded if it was still a spin off? A lot of the audience you're saying are being isolated were looking forward to Versus XIII knowing full well that it was an Action RPG.

Yup.yup.yup. Versus 13 was always an action rpg, it was always planned to be that way. This is not news. at all.

chionos
10-10-2014, 12:08 AM
So you see an ad for, let's say, Shrimp Nachos at Red Lobster and decide to go there for dinner. You always get Lobster when you go to RL, and alas, they've rolled out a new Lobster dish that you want to try. You like to try new things but you also like to stick to what you like, which is Lobster in this case.

You go to the restaurant, wait your 45 minutes, sit down, order your drink, start looking at the menu, order the appetizer Shrimp Nachos, get your kickass biscuits, sip your pretentious Martini because you're cool like that. The waiter comes back around and you tell them you're ready to order

You: "I want the Lobster Linguini Alfredo."

Waiter: "Very well, sir, I'll have that out to you shortly. Would you like another Martini?"

You: "Yes, please. I don't think enough people saw me drink the first one. Also, will the Nachos be much longer?"

Waiter: "I'm sorry sir, but the Nachos are taking longer than usual. We're real busy you see....we've got a lot on our plate. Hahaha."

You: "Yeah, ok, fine, we can wait. Definitely another Martini, then."

Waiter: "Very well, sir."

30 minutes later

Waiter: "Here are your Shrimp Nachos."

You: "Wow that took forever, I'm surprised the Lobster didn't come out first."

Waiter: "Oh, well, about that, this is your Lobster Linguini Alfredo, sir."

You: "No, it's not."

Waiter: "I'm so sorry, sir, but our kitchen is backed up and it would take too long to make your Linguini Alfredo, so we changed Lobster Linguini Alfredo into Shrimp Nachos! But don't worry, the Shrimp Nachos are great!"

You: "I'm sure they are, but I wanted Lobster. Specifically, I wanted Lobster Linguini Alfredo."

Waiter: "Well, perhaps next time you come dine with us we'll have the Lobster Linguini Alfredo available, yes? Until then, enjoy your Shrimp Nachos! Would you like another Martini?"

Del Murder
10-10-2014, 05:54 AM
'Sir, not only are we out of Lobster Linguini Alfredo, but we will not have it again for several years and may not sell it again at all depending on how well our Shrimp Nachos sells. In the meantime can I offer you a complementary empty plate on which you can order any number of grains of rice for $0.99 per?'

Spooniest
10-12-2014, 01:33 AM
'Sir, not only are we out of Lobster Linguini Alfredo, but we will not have it again for several years and may not sell it again at all depending on how well our Shrimp Nachos sells. In the meantime can I offer you a complementary empty plate on which you can order any number of grains of rice for $0.99 per?'

We have derailed.

Um, I was gonna say something about the battle system. Oh yeah!

Secret of Mana had a similar system, if there's anything I'd tell this team it's to play lots of Secret of Mana.

Christmas
05-09-2022, 12:27 PM
The battle system is kinda good I would say. Although Ragnarok kinda broke the game.