PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Character

Laddy
10-06-2014, 03:12 PM
For me it has to be Zack. I just never found him all that interesting beyond his role as a plot point. When you flesh him out too much the original game starts to seem less consequential in comparison to the far inferior Compliation games.

Beyond that I couldn't give half a crap about Squall or Lightning beyond finding their designs neat.

Dat Matt
10-06-2014, 10:49 PM
I loved Zacck in Crisis Core. I found him a far better protagonist than Cloud.

I dislike Tidus. The entire game is about Yuna aand he tags along for the journey. But it's all from his perspective. It's pretty lame.

Colonel Angus
10-07-2014, 12:28 AM
I loved Zacck in Crisis Core. I found him a far better protagonist than Cloud.

I dislike Tidus. The entire game is about Yuna aand he tags along for the journey. But it's all from his perspective. It's pretty lame.
Matt hates Tidus more than Kimahri! You heard it here first! Right from the horse's mouth. Kimahri > Tidus. #FearTheSpear

VeloZer0
10-07-2014, 01:44 AM
Vivi. Yes I said it. Not that I dislike him, I think he is a well designed and written character. i just don't get why he is held in such reverence.

Night Fury
10-07-2014, 04:49 AM
Cloud.

Vyk
10-07-2014, 04:56 AM
I'm pretty sure Tidus isn't all that well rated in the first place, let alone overrated :P

I would say General Leo. He's cool and all, but he doesn't really do much for the story, and he may be one of the only nice guys employed by the empire, most of his love comes from speculation about his personality and ambition rather than what's legitimately fleshed out. He's in a total of like 3 scenes and people act like they know all about his character and how awesome he is. I have no problem with him. He just doesn't mean a lot to me. But maybe it's been too long since I've played the game

Taiga
10-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Tifa. Why do people like her so much? So, she has huge boobs and Cloud is everything that's on her mind, and that makes her special? Nah, not for me, sorry.

And Lightning. She's so popular with XIII fans (and Square Enix staff members, apparently), and I just never understood why. I find her terribly boring.

Ayen
10-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Cloud, Cloud, Cloud, Cloud, Cloud, Cloud. Cloud is overrated. I mean, I love him like a brother, but man he was everywhere.

Pumpkin
10-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Kain

Depression Moon
10-07-2014, 01:09 PM
You know what character people love more than Cloud? Sephiroth. That dude is a dry, visually cliche mama's boy.

Forsaken Lover
10-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Zack and Kain.

Psychotic
10-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Depends on who is the one rating them. If it's Square-Enix then Lightning. I don't really have a huge place in my heart for EoFF favourites Vivi or Kefka either, and I've never liked internet darling Zack.

chionos
10-07-2014, 11:07 PM
If you don't like the narrative perspective of FFX, then you probably haven't read The Sound and the Fury or any other first person narrative that tells someone else's story (I call it third person by proxy). The whole story of TSatF is about the character Caddy, and she never gets to narrate her own story. You can't knock Benjy for the story taking time to show Caddy through his eyes. Telling the story through Tidus is the best way to show Yuna's story, imo. If it were from her perspective from the beginning, our sympathies would be forced and not genuine. I think the Tidus character is effective in leading us to Yuna.

Tifa. Why do people like her so much? So, she has huge boobs and Cloud is everything that's on her mind, and that makes her special? Nah, not for me, sorry.

And Lightning. She's so popular with XIII fans (and Square Enix staff members, apparently), and I just never understood why. I find her terribly boring.

I think you answered your own question, bruh. Because she's a terrible character. But she has boobs.

I hate Lightning. I don't think anyone actually likes Lightning. Anyone on the internet saying otherwise is a Square Enix PR robot.

Raistlin
10-07-2014, 11:11 PM
Depends on who is the one rating them. If it's Square-Enix then Lightning. I don't really have a huge place in my heart for EoFF favourites Vivi or Kefka either, and I've never liked internet darling Zack.

I have to agree with all of this. I always liked Ashe more than Lightning when it comes to strong female leads.

I won't say Tidus just because nobody likes him.

Taiga
10-07-2014, 11:15 PM
I think you answered your own question, bruh. Because she's a terrible character. But she has boobs.

What a stupid and superficial reason to like a character. But what about female Tifa fans? I don't think all of them are lesbians. :p

Vyk
10-07-2014, 11:17 PM
I don't think FFX's story had to be told from Tidus's perspective. I don't think it had to be told from anyone's perspective. Maybe tell the story from the player's perspective. It's just a narrative. FFVII wasn't told from Cloud's perspective. It wasn't told from anyone's perspective. It was given to the players as needed. And X could have done the same thing. Their mistake was trying to force us to feel like we could relate or care about that whiny asshole so that's the eyes they gave us. I suppose he is probably highly rated by Square and/or Japan? Ugh

VeloZer0
10-07-2014, 11:36 PM
If you don't like the narrative perspective of FFX, then you probably haven't read The Sound and the Fury or any other first person narrative that tells someone else's story (I call it third person by proxy). The whole story of TSatF is about the character Caddy, and she never gets to narrate her own story. You can't knock Benjy for the story taking time to show Caddy through his eyes. Telling the story through Tidus is the best way to show Yuna's story, imo. If it were from her perspective from the beginning, our sympathies would be forced and not genuine. I think the Tidus character is effective in leading us to Yuna.
Which would have worked better without Tidus repeatedly claiming that it was his story. ;)

I hate Lightning. I don't think anyone actually likes Lightning.
Lightning was just about the only thing I liked about FF13. Character animations are really important to me, and she was the only one who looked convincingly agile enough to actual fight. That and the get pissed of at people an punch them in the face is far more endearing to me than to whine about it melodramatically. Now asking if she deserved two more games is a whole different question....

chionos
10-08-2014, 01:01 AM
Which would have worked better without Tidus repeatedly claiming that it was his story. ;)

I hate Lightning. I don't think anyone actually likes Lightning.
Lightning was just about the only thing I liked about FF13. Character animations are really important to me, and she was the only one who looked convincingly agile enough to actual fight. That and the get pissed of at people an punch them in the face is far more endearing to me than to whine about it melodramatically. Now asking if she deserved two more games is a whole different question....

Hey, I didn't say they pulled it off perfectly. I'm just saying that it's possible to tell one character's story through another character. To hate on Tidus because the story wasn't from Yuna's perspective is shortsighted. It's not Tidus's fault, in other words. Tidus isn't the best character in the series, but he's not the worst. I don't think Tidus is one of these characters the fans have wildly different opinions on. Lightning, on the other hand...

I can agree with you about the design. I don't have problems with her design at all. In fact, those really early tech videos of her fighting in the train car got me really excited about the character, because she does in fact look like someone who would be fighting. But her personality is crap. Or rather, almost all of the interactions between characters in FFXIII suck. The writing ruins what could have potentially been a good character. I don't think the fans overrate Lightning, but SE certainly does.

Ayen
10-08-2014, 02:19 AM
I hate Lightning. I don't think anyone actually likes Lightning. Anyone on the internet saying otherwise is a Square Enix PR robot.

I am a Square Enix PR robot.

You will like Lightning. You will like Lightning. You will like Lightning. You will like Lightning. You will like Lightning. You will like Lightning. You will like Lightning. You will like Lightning.

VeloZer0
10-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Actually I just hate Tidus in general, that is just one more thing that serves to annoy me about him. Though strangely enough he is my favorite character to play in Dissidia. :confused:

As for Lightning, I found her the most relate-able character in FF13. That said I have never been accused of being close to the center of the bell curve.

Forsaken Lover
10-08-2014, 07:35 PM
I like Tifa because she stands by her man.

Rin Heartilly
10-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Cloud
Sephiroth
Tifa
Vivi
Lightning

I actually like all these characters buuuuttt yeah. lol.

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2014, 07:17 AM
Probably Kefka in terms of overall overratedness. He's typically very well-loved and admired. I think he's a pretty great villain, sure, but come on.

Vyk
10-24-2014, 10:24 PM
I think Kefka's claim to fame was probably that he was basically the first worthwhile villain. Most antagonists at the time barely had a name, let along a personality or (god forbid) believable motivation. Sure being a nihilist still made him basically an unrelatable evil. But he was far from typical

He may not have withstood the test of time, but at that time, he was leagues ahead of everything else on the market. At least from my perspective

It's kinda like how everyone fell in love with Heath Ledger's Joker. It was something we hadn't seen done before, and it was so well done. It's not so amazing anymore. But at the time, it was arguably pretty phenomenal

Pumpkin
10-24-2014, 10:29 PM
Most antagonists at the time barely had a name,

Pretty sure ExDeath had a name and a half

And let us not forget the masterpiece that is NEO EXDEATH!!!!

Vyk
10-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Yeah I can't imagine anyone walking up to ExDeath and going "Heya, ExDeath. How's it going?"

Where as with Kefka, he's a person, with a name, and personality, I can imagine it at least. I mean he'd probably punch you in the back of the head for talking to him so casually. But at least it's conceivable lol

Moogles-Are-Awesome
12-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Um......Cloud........I guess.

Ergroilnin
12-27-2014, 03:42 PM
Definitely Sephiroth for me. I never got what is so incredibly amazing about him that supposedly puts him to whole another level. In my opinion he is fine villian with believable motivation and all that but there isn't that much more about him.

Pike
12-27-2014, 05:05 PM
If you don't like the narrative perspective of FFX, then you probably haven't read The Sound and the Fury or any other first person narrative that tells someone else's story (I call it third person by proxy). The whole story of TSatF is about the character Caddy, and she never gets to narrate her own story. You can't knock Benjy for the story taking time to show Caddy through his eyes.

god I hated that book so much

I won't say Tidus just because nobody likes him.

Tidus is one of my all-time faves, sorry mate :flirt:

Anyways I also never understood everyone's Tifa obsession. The last time I off-handedly mentioned this on chat I got a huge earful from Lonny BoB about how Tifa is god's gift to videogames or something. :shrug: (he probably won't remember, this was a while ago. But I remember, BoB. I remember.)

edit: also Vincent, I remember thinking he was ~so dark and edgy and cool~ when I first played through the game but now I have no idea what I was thinking.

Shiva95
12-28-2014, 01:29 PM
Cloud and Sephiroth. I like them a lot, but they are still overrated lol.

Madame Adequate
12-28-2014, 06:46 PM

I just don't see what all the fuss is about.