PDA

View Full Version : I love you!

Jinx
10-07-2014, 02:19 AM
Who and how often do you tell people you love them?

I tell people I love them all the time. Facebook, phone, when Rob leaves for work.

The people I tell I love the most are my parents, Rob, and my friend Camlyn. Not sure how the last one happened, but it became a habit and we've been friends for over 9 years now. When we end a conversation, we tell each other we love each other.

Are you an expressive person? Let's talk about this.

Shiny
10-07-2014, 02:32 AM
Parents - Every week
Siblings - Never, DIE IN A HOLE. If they said it back I would reciprocate though and then tell them to die in a hole.
My grandma - Every time she calls which is really only on special occasions and/or when I go over her house to visit
Boyfriend - Every day
Close friends - I save it for special special times and then they're shocked and like ";__; really wow you hate everyone but you love me yay". Then I tell them to die in a hole.

Ayen
10-07-2014, 02:44 AM
I say I love you every night to my mom before bed.

Pumpkin
10-07-2014, 02:51 AM
I say I love you to sharky everyday when he leaves and through text message when I wake up and randomly throughout the day, and I say it to my son, and that's it. I've only ever said it to one other person other than that and that was my ex.

Its a very serious and strong emotion for me and I do not like it when others say it to me jokingly or whatever when they don't mean it. Or one of my exes said it to me and I said "No you don't" and he said "No, I don't, but its what you say when you're with someone." and to me that was poo poo.

Laddy
10-07-2014, 06:03 AM
Never.

It just never occurs for me to? I probably should since I'm usually kinda indirect with my phrasing. It's always nice to have a reminder. I guess I need to remember how the words make me feel all fuzzy inside. :)

Psychotic
10-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Not very often. To me if you say it every day like a ritual greeting or parting or whatever it gets devalued, so when I say it it's special and means something. Not that I'm trying to piss on the cereal of anyone who does say it daily or whatever, if it works for you then go hog wild, and hey if it makes you feel great every day then I'm jealous.

Yamaneko
10-07-2014, 07:40 AM
I always tell my money that I love her. :)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I think if you cozy up next to someone in the drunk thread you'll probably be able to get it out of them before the night's over.

Sephex
10-07-2014, 09:26 AM
Basically, I rub my nipples until they catch fire while maintaining eye contact to establish dominance.

~*~Celes~*~
10-07-2014, 09:45 AM
my parents, grandparents, in-laws, nieces and nephews, and aunt every time i talk to them or visit them. My husband and sons every day before leaving, before bed, and randomly through the day :)

Taiga
10-07-2014, 11:45 AM
I only say it to my boyfriend and only when I feel like it (which is once every other day). I hate when people overuse this phrase. My boyfriend told me that he loves me veeery regularly at the beginning of our relationship and when he was confused that I rarely said it back, I told him that "I love you" looses its meaning to me when he says it every day or every second day. He agreed with me and I'm thankful for that.
There are exceptional days when we tell each other "I love you" more than once, but there are also days when we don't say it at all. To me its more important to show the other person that I love them and that's exactly what we do all the time. : )

Pheesh
10-07-2014, 02:11 PM
I say it to Tara if I'm going out somewhere or if the mood strikes me, but it's not something that I'll say every day out of habit. I'll usually say it to my Mum when I call her, so about once a week. That's pretty much it for me, I don't say it to my Dad cause weird.

escobert
10-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Parents whenever I talk to them and thats about it.

Freya
10-07-2014, 02:59 PM
I say it to my boyfriend often and always when we get off the phone. I tell my parents it occasionally. Justin when i talk to him because well he's my justy. And my siblings occasionally.

When I'm drunk, I tell everyone I love them. So full of love.

Mirage
10-07-2014, 03:12 PM
basically never

actions speak louder than words!

Shorty
10-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Often. My friends and I just text "I love yous" to eachother out of the blue for no reason whatsoever. Every time I'm on the phone or texting with my mom. I guess I don't really say it to my sisters, except one, and we substitute it with a word that sounds like "yayu" because we are actually children instead of adults.

Shiny
10-08-2014, 02:33 AM
basically never

Yes, but words can be powerful and meaningful. Plus, it's nice to hear and if you care about someone and do love them. I'm sure they would feel good to hear it sometimes as well.

fire_of_avalon
10-08-2014, 02:49 AM
I say this phrase to several people everyday of my life. To me the repetition is just affirmation. I am not one to say "Oh I love your haircut," and things like that but I tell the people I love that I love them.

Sephex
10-08-2014, 02:56 AM
basically never

I agree with the sentiment, but no women ever goes for this. You could do everything right for a decade plus. You could be the richest person alive. You could literally be proven to be the best sexual partner in human history. You could invent space travel and take her across the universe as easily as it is to walk around the block. You could do anything.

But if you don't say "I love you" at any point, you are the worst human being in history that has ever been shot out of a ballsack.

chionos
10-08-2014, 03:08 AM
I use it a lot. I try to change it up and find other ways to say it, but "love you" is there when there's nothing original to say.

There have been times I've said it and I shouldn't have. In certain situations it's a binding phrase and that's not always a good idea.

blackmage_nuke
10-08-2014, 01:54 PM
Only when Im using it as a joke

Shorty
10-08-2014, 04:31 PM
basically never

I've never understood this mentality. It doesn't have to be actions vs. words, you can still say the words and show otherwise the meaning behind those words. Likewise, I dislike the sort of "you have to prove that you love me" implication that comes along with this saying, as if words alone don't cut it for such a personal expression to another human being. Words are the most powerful tools that any of us can wield, and we allow them to dictate our feelings, moods, thoughts, imagination, and so on. But when it comes to expressing care for someone, we demand physical follow-up proof? That doesn't make sense to me. Just the very nature of someone saying the words "I love you" should be proof enough that they do.

foa has expressed my feelings that repetition = affirmation.

Nate
10-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Parents: Mom-Yes, Dad-No
Siblings: I have two brothers, no.
Fiancee: As often as needed. At least 5-6 times a day, including when off to work, or at the conclusion of a phone call.
Grandparents: At end of phone call.
Friends: No.

noxious.sunshine
10-08-2014, 05:19 PM
My dad, my little girl, my boyfriend, & my dog. That's it really.

Arc_Master_14
10-08-2014, 06:31 PM
I tell my girlfriend I love her every chance I get, but I tend t be the person who likes to show love rather than say it. I also tell my best friend I love him, but usually we say it in a joking manner, but we know it means the same to us. My family is different though, a lot of them I really don't like, but I depend on them for many things, so I devised a method for not feeling like a jerk when they say it to me. The words hold A LOT of weight to me so I don't like saying it if I don't mean it, so when they say it I mumble something similar to it so they think I said it despite not.

Shiny
10-08-2014, 09:42 PM
Totally forgot my dogs. I say I love you to all three of them even though one of them is a bit of an asshole and the other pretends to be a cat...she stalks then pounces on me occasionally.

Vasher
10-09-2014, 08:26 AM
I let my wife and kids know I love them through my actions, every single day, but I make sure to tell them every day also (so that they hear it). I tell my mother and father I love them when I see them or speak with them. I say it to my siblings (yes, even my brothers) and my grandparents also.

Jess
10-09-2014, 10:35 PM
I tell my boyfriend I love him every day, a few times. Part of my OCD is that I have to say it before he goes out otherwise I think something terrible will happen, like a car crash or something. Yes, I know it's totally ridiculous.

I tell my parents and brother often. I only see them every few weeks but I like to text them out of the blue just to tell them I love them. :)

My dog. I tell him constantly whenever I see him. :jess:

Shauna
10-09-2014, 10:38 PM
I say it often to family and Matt. I just like them to know my many feelings I have. I occasionally say it to friends too. :3

Ergroilnin
10-09-2014, 10:59 PM
Almost never. I wouldn't be surprised if I said "I love you" less times than my age is (21). I am not really a word man in this regard. I dislike outright stating my feelings like that. If in love someone, I show them other way.

Denmark
10-10-2014, 01:58 AM
EjAoBKagWQA

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-13-2014, 04:33 AM

Del Murder
10-13-2014, 07:21 AM
Not very often. To me if you say it every day like a ritual greeting or parting or whatever it gets devalued, so when I say it it's special and means something. Not that I'm trying to piss on the cereal of anyone who does say it daily or whatever, if it works for you then go hog wild, and hey if it makes you feel great every day then I'm jealous.
Now I feel special. :love:

Leesin
10-20-2014, 03:12 AM
My parents,my younger brother,my sister-in-law, my nephew,they are my life,I love them very much

Loony BoB
10-21-2014, 10:44 AM
I say it often to Danielle, and to my family when I'm in touch with them. I used to tell close friends that I love them a lot more often than I do these days. At some stage in my life someone pointed out that people find it creepy that I tell other girls that are not my girlfriend that I love them, and ever since I have pretty much stopped. It's funny how one person's opinion can change how you interact with so many other people.

I care about my best friends a lot more than I probably let on because of this, and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, or a bit of both. Hard to say.

Sadly, I have found that since that change in my life, I have not been as close to friends - perhaps as a result.

If I'm drunk, I'll say it really easily. ;)

EDIT: One more thing actually - just thought I'd mention in response to the theory that it makes it seem less important if you say it more often, I agree and disagree. When I say "Love ya" at the end of a phonecall it's not seen as very important, it's just part of how I say bye to Danielle. So I agree on that part. But if I say "I love you" then the alteration of the wording and the way that I say it changes the 'power' of the words to have the same effect as if I never said "Love ya" at all to her on the phone every day.

Old Manus
10-21-2014, 11:07 AM
I stopped saying it after I got an email with an attachment saying I LOVE YOU about fifteen years ago and it gave me a virus.

chionos
10-21-2014, 08:30 PM
I say it often to Danielle, and to my family when I'm in touch with them. I used to tell close friends that I love them a lot more often than I do these days. At some stage in my life someone pointed out that people find it creepy that I tell other girls that are not my girlfriend that I love them, and ever since I have pretty much stopped. It's funny how one person's opinion can change how you interact with so many other people.

I've had a similar experience. I'm overly affectionate/wordy to close friends and have gotten the same speech in the past, but I'm trying to work my way past that. There's enough hate and bullshit in the world, why should we lessen the amount we love? Why should loving one person the most require that we love other people less? I'm not promoting polygamy, this isn't about erotic love; monogamy shouldn't interfere with telling other people you care about them, male or female.

EDIT: One more thing actually - just thought I'd mention in response to the theory that it makes it seem less important if you say it more often, I agree and disagree. When I say "Love ya" at the end of a phonecall it's not seen as very important, it's just part of how I say bye to Danielle. So I agree on that part. But if I say "I love you" then the alteration of the wording and the way that I say it changes the 'power' of the words to have the same effect as if I never said "Love ya" at all to her on the phone every day.

Makes sense. How we say things matters just as much as what we say.

Iceglow
10-21-2014, 10:46 PM
I get told by my friends fairly regularly that I love them. This includes Paul. I generally respond with Yeah I do you big jerk or something more mock offensive. In regards to family I hardly ever say it. They know I care which is enough for me. In terms of romance, well atm something more than a few dates with a girl would be fun, wouldn't say the ILY words until I was ready to mean them even if she was saying it in a casual "Aww love you, you're amazing, thanks for dinner" kind of way.

Araciel
10-24-2014, 05:24 AM
I love cake.