PDA

View Full Version : An HD remake

Hannibal_Khan
10-08-2014, 11:22 AM
Okay i'm sure this has been discussed before but i don't see any recent threads about it so allow to me start the conversation again. But first, let me pre-fix this conversation with a story of my experience with FFXII; I never really played it. When this game was released i was not playing video games very much. I was 14 and involved in 3 sports. I rented XII but only played about 6 hrs of the game before my 3 day rental was up, so i took it back.
It's hard to remember exactly how i felt about the game but i do remember not being too impressed. Then the 13 series was announced and i got a ps3(that wasn't ps2 compatible) and versus made me forget about XII. Well we know what happened to versus and I was not a fan of 13 or the sequels. So after my poor experience with 13 and the long wait for 15, my mind wandered back to XII. I read up about the game and realized it was directed by the same guy who did IX, my favorite game of all-time. Now i desperately want to play it again.
So do you ppl think we will get an hd remake of this game? Could it use directx11 like type 0? or done more like FFX? Should i just get a ps2?

Ayen
10-08-2014, 01:15 PM
They might depending on how successful X|X-2 HD was, and last I checked that was doing pretty good for itself. I'm not sure how they'd go about the actual HD bit since visually it still looks pretty good. If you can't wait then maybe look for a PS2. If XII still doesn't fit your fancy there are loads of other good games on the system worth checking out. Unless you can find the game available for digital download at the PlayStation Store.

Vyk
10-08-2014, 02:51 PM
PS2's can be found relatively cheaply. I didn't think XII was on PSN but I may be wrong. Also if you have a halfway decent computer with an NVidia card you could probably emulate it pretty easily as well. Most higher powered emulators are designed for nVidia and then AMD owners either have to fiddle around themselves, or compatibility is put in as an afterthought, or we're just left out completely. But if you have nVidia you should be okay

I do kinda hope for an HD remake though. I played the first like 10 - 15 hours of the game. Long enough to get tired of Vaan and quit. Right about the time Ashe was introduced. Where I guess the game actually gears up and takes off, and then Vaan is delegated to a background character from what everyone says. But that didn't happen fast enough Vaan ruined the game for me

I've been tempted to retry as an adult and see how well I can tolerate him. I don't have high hopes so I've put that idea on the back burner for a long time. The idea that a higher resolution and better frame-rate might alleviate that disgust is tempting. I'd probably buy it just to see

Mirage
10-08-2014, 07:45 PM
Okay i'm sure this has been discussed before but i don't see any recent threads about it so allow to me start the conversation again. But first, let me pre-fix this conversation with a story of my experience with FFXII; I never really played it. When this game was released i was not playing video games very much. I was 14 and involved in 3 sports. I rented XII but only played about 6 hrs of the game before my 3 day rental was up, so i took it back.
It's hard to remember exactly how i felt about the game but i do remember not being too impressed. Then the 13 series was announced and i got a ps3(that wasn't ps2 compatible) and versus made me forget about XII. Well we know what happened to versus and I was not a fan of 13 or the sequels. So after my poor experience with 13 and the long wait for 15, my mind wandered back to XII. I read up about the game and realized it was directed by the same guy who did IX, my favorite game of all-time. Now i desperately want to play it again.
So do you ppl think we will get an hd remake of this game? Could it use directx11 like type 0? or done more like FFX? Should i just get a ps2?

I doubt it uses DX11, considering that graphics library is not available on PS4.

Hannibal_Khan
10-08-2014, 11:06 PM
I doubt it uses DX11, considering that graphics library is not available on PS4.

http://squareportal.net/2014/08/29/final-fantasy-type-0-is-powered-by-directx-11/

Colonel Angus
10-08-2014, 11:19 PM
XII is only available on the PS2. In fact, it's the only numbered FF game that's exclusively on one platform.

Hannibal_Khan
10-08-2014, 11:29 PM
They must be thinking of an HD remaster or else they would have put it on psn by now

Mirage
10-09-2014, 03:59 AM

http://squareportal.net/2014/08/29/final-fantasy-type-0-is-powered-by-directx-11/

Ok, but DX11 still isn't available on PS4, because this is microsoft-technology which is only available for Windows PCs and Xbox consoles. The same features are however most likely available on PS4 through other APIs.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Reading an article such as this one (http://home.eyesonff.com/content.php/3323-Final-Fantasy-XVI-Hidden-From-The-Public-for-6-Years-Guest-Article) makes me wonder if they won't do something for the games 10th anniversary. It's something I was speculating even before reading the article.

Honestly, I'm kind of putting off playing it again in hopes that it'll get the HD treatment in the next year or two.

Colonel Angus
10-10-2014, 12:39 AM
I wish they wouldn't wait 2 years, though. I'm also hoping there's an option to choose between the standard licensing procedure & the IZJS licensing, like FFX HD did.

Wolf Kanno
10-10-2014, 02:51 AM
An HD Remake would come down to whether Ito and the Ivalice Team would be willing to do it. I think Kitase said as much when asked if the game would receive one. Personally I would love to see the IZJS version of the game but considering XII had a lukewarm reception in Japan and Ito being MIA for so long, it may be a while before we hear anything.

Bolivar
10-11-2014, 06:16 PM
I say it everytime it comes up but if they did, this would be all I would play. I hope Square completely outsources it this time, because FFX HD took way too long to come out.

I imagine you would like it, OP, just know that it's an acquired taste for many. The game does have an excellent story but the focus is much more on exploration. I know I'm not the only one around here who only began to appreciate the game on a second playthrough.

Colonel Angus
10-11-2014, 06:30 PM
How much work would it take to actually remaster this game?

Mirage
10-12-2014, 05:45 AM
First you have to define "remaster".

You could do everything from just increasing the resolution and re-drawing the 2D user interface, all the way to recreating higher res textures for all the equipment, significant characters and areas.

The first could be done in a few day plus quality assurance, the latter could take months plus QA.

Egami
02-13-2015, 06:51 PM
I think FFX HD did rather well, even outsold Lighting Returns if I recall correctly. So I hope this has opened the door for a XII HD. A remaster of this game with the IZJS for PS4 would totally detonate.

Come on SE, make it happen.

Mirage
02-13-2015, 09:44 PM
I'd say that shows more how much people had lost faith in the 13 trilogy :p.

Anyway, I really hope they make an official FF12 IZJS release, perhaps even with some unreleased stuff for fun, and also crossplay for PSVita.

PS4 1080p 60fps 8xAA with redone textures and character models. Please!

Bolivar
02-16-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm worried FFXHD's success won't carry over to XII though, considering how less popular it is, especially in Japan, where the decision will be made. I just wish they'd do this already!

Egami
02-16-2015, 04:18 PM
I'm worried FFXHD's success won't carry over to XII though, considering how less popular it is, especially in Japan, where the decision will be made. I just wish they'd do this already!

Perhaps, but I wonder if the growing appreciation (and success) of open world RPGs would play in XII's favor. Whatever the case I would buy an HD remaster in a heart beat, they really cannot make it soon enough.

Leigh
02-17-2015, 03:03 PM
First you have to define "remaster

I think Square defines it as making a new hyperlink to a download :)

Rostum
02-21-2015, 11:30 PM
I really, really, really want them to just do what they did with FFX/X-2 HD Remaster for PS3/PS4. Come on Square Enix, this game is fantastic!

Mirage
02-22-2015, 04:34 AM
"Some trusted neogaf insider" claims that FF12HD is coming. Along with a Xenosaga 1-3 HD collection, and some other games from around the same time.

I don't know who the source is, but apparently he's been right many times before.

Vyk
02-22-2015, 04:11 PM
I always see or hear neogaf mentioned in weirdly high level gaming discussions. What exactly is with that place? Do developers frequent the forums or something? Why do they have so much insider information?

Leigh
02-22-2015, 05:23 PM
I always see or hear neogaf mentioned in weirdly high level gaming discussions. What exactly is with that place? Do developers frequent the forums or something? Why do they have so much insider information?

There are a number of industry professionals who are members there. It probably stems from its previous association with IGN. It's also elitist. If you sign up then your account will probably fail at the moderation stage and never be activated.

Vyk
02-23-2015, 01:13 AM
Yeah, I've heard as much bad about that place as I have good. So I can't imagine wanting to sign up for any reason other than the novelty. So no big deal there

Rostum
03-17-2015, 09:02 AM
"Some trusted neogaf insider" claims that FF12HD is coming. Along with a Xenosaga 1-3 HD collection, and some other games from around the same time.

I don't know who the source is, but apparently he's been right many times before.

I honestly hope with all my heart both of those will come to fruition. I love them!

Sephex
03-17-2015, 09:27 AM
Thought I posted in this thread ages ago. I'd be down for a HD version of this. I haven't played through it since when it first came out, so it will be a good excuse to do it again.

Hopefully the super secret cool club dude on Neogaf is right.

Bubba
03-17-2015, 09:29 AM
I think it is without question the SE will release this in HD remaster. The fact that the only version of the game is still the PS2 version says a lot. My feeling is that it is in development now. FFX HD has been released on every format now so I'm sure this will be announced pretty soon.

Aulayna
03-17-2015, 10:58 AM
I would not be surprised if an FFXII HD announcement tied in with this:

http://finalfantasynews.com/2015/03/04/distant-worlds-is-coming-to-e3-2015/

Fynn
03-17-2015, 03:01 PM
I would not be surprised if an FFXII HD announcement tied in with this:

http://finalfantasynews.com/2015/03/04/distant-worlds-is-coming-to-e3-2015/

:omgomg:

metagloria
03-17-2015, 06:46 PM
Xenosaga 1-3 HD collection

This is unequivocally not happening. The market just isn't there.

Fox
03-18-2015, 12:04 AM
XII needs an HD remake way more than X did. I'd be shocked if they didn't do one as it's exactly the sort of thing that's good to tide people over between main franchise entries. The only question on my mind would be: before XV or after?

No game is cheap to make. Remasters are not cheap to make. But they are a heck of a lot cheaper to make than a full new product, so it's very attractive from their point of view financially. I guess we have to wait until they've remastered X another half dozen times though :]

Colonel Angus
03-18-2015, 02:47 AM
XV will most def come out before any XII HD Remastered remake.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
06-16-2015, 08:03 PM
I'm so greedy. After watching E3 today I found myself bummed because there was no XII HD announcement, yet I'm looking forward to pretty much every game they did announce.

The skyscraper of hype I have for all these new games is plenty enough and I'm so grateful for all the new titles, but I have hope this will show up in the future at some point.

DMKA
06-17-2015, 01:25 AM
If you have a reasonable PC, you can emulate the game in HD. It looks gorgeous.

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/112/4/b/final_fantasy_xii_hd_screenshot___hell_wyrm_by_gintoki333sakata-d5y01zx.jpg

Colonel Angus
06-17-2015, 03:13 AM
I needs me IZJS, so I could complain how it's so limiting compared to the original.

Fynn
06-17-2015, 02:32 PM

http://th06.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2014/112/4/b/final_fantasy_xii_hd_screenshot___hell_wyrm_by_gintoki333sakata-d5y01zx.jpg

I'd still need that reasonable PC, and I can't really call that portable, even if it's a laptop.

We really, desperately need FFXII IZJS HD for the Vita. Why doesn't SE listen? :(

Mirage
06-17-2015, 02:37 PM
FF12 is one of the most easily emulated PS2 games. An i5 laptop could probably do it without a lot of trouble.

I too am pretty bummed about the lack of a FF12 port confirmation.

Fynn
06-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Fingers crossed for TGS!

fat_moogle
06-26-2015, 01:39 AM

Quite a big improvement!

Fingers crossed for TGS!
SE said that they'd think about FFXII HD if FFX HD sold well enough. I'm not sure what its sales figures are but I'm guessing it must have sold a fair bit across PS3, PS Vita and PS4. TGS will probably be all about FFXV and possibly the FFVII remake though, so FFXII is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Vyk
06-26-2015, 02:20 AM
SE is all about the cock-tease, though. So I'm sure someone will get the dangling carrot. Either FFXII fans, or FFVII fans. And then the other group will get center stage. But I can see them both being there. Just one getting disappointing treatment

Egami
06-26-2015, 02:21 AM
SE said that they'd think about FFXII HD if FFX HD sold well enough. I'm not sure what its sales figures are but I'm guessing it must have sold a fair bit across PS3, PS Vita and PS4. TGS will probably be all about FFXV and possibly the FFVII remake though, so FFXII is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

If I remember correctly, FFX HD ended up outselling Lighting Returns. Seems like a success for a remaster, I hope they see it that way because I would love a PS4 remaster of XII.

I don't think they will be announcing it this year if they are planning to make it tho. From August (Gamescon) to December they will likely be very focused on promoting XV and then more info about VII Remake will come out in December probbaly with some KH III thrown in for good measure as well.

Perhaps Q1 2016?