PDA

View Full Version : Help to choose GPU between ATI and NVIDIA

DanielCLFFF13
10-10-2014, 08:25 PM
So I still haven't changed my GPU and I still need other information about what better between ATI and NVIDIA.

I got my eyes on ATI Radeon R9 and HD 8000 series for ATI and GTX 780 and GTX 760 series for NVIDIA.
I know, ATI known for it's lower price compare to NVIDIA. NVIDIA known for it's feature (I think)

My spec at the moment
Processor : Intel i7-3770, 3.40Ghz, 3901Mhz, 4 Core, 8 Logical Processor, 64 bit
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) : 4 Gb
GPU (VGA) : NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, 2Gb, for DDR I don't know between DDR 3 or DRR 4 (I think)

If anyone could tell me which one is better, I would appreciate it :)
For the prices, in every country is different so I need search it up myself.

Slothy
10-10-2014, 09:15 PM
I haven't looked into a GPU since buying my last one several years ago so I don't know if it's still the case, but Nvidia used to have better drivers than ATI which would sometimes have comparability issues and performance problems. Last I heard I think they were getting better.

That aside, check out Tom's Hardwares list of the best GPU's for the price. They always include a list which lists comparable ATI and Nvidia cards so you can compare them based on price and performance pretty easily. Use it when you compare prices to get the best card you can afford. You might be able to find some sales or deals so you should shop around.

Vyk
10-10-2014, 10:31 PM
I don't know about the cards in comparison to each other, but do know most higher end software usually has nVidia in mind. Then they generally have to tone it down for ATI. PS2 emulators are designed for nVidia, and then later tweaked for AMD. The recent Wasteland 2 was designed for nVidia (AMD has overheating issues while playing the game). Just a few instances I've come across recently. But I'm no guru.

DanielCLFFF13
10-10-2014, 10:40 PM
I haven't looked into a GPU since buying my last one several years ago so I don't know if it's still the case, but Nvidia used to have better drivers than ATI which would sometimes have comparability issues and performance problems. Last I heard I think they were getting better.

That aside, check out Tom's Hardwares list of the best GPU's for the price. They always include a list which lists comparable ATI and Nvidia cards so you can compare them based on price and performance pretty easily. Use it when you compare prices to get the best card you can afford. You might be able to find some sales or deals so you should shop around.

Yeah NVIDIA has a bit more feature like GeForce Experience (I've been using it for quite a while) and it's good, but for price NVIDIA is much more expensive compare to ATI. For ATI features I don't know. Since both ATI and NVIDIA are good.
Tom's Hardware, ok I'll check it. Thanks Vivi :)

I don't know about the cards in comparison to each other, but do know most higher end software usually has nVidia in mind. Then they generally have to tone it down for ATI. PS2 emulators are designed for nVidia, and then later tweaked for AMD. The recent Wasteland 2 was designed for nVidia (AMD has overheating issues while playing the game). Just a few instances I've come across recently. But I'm no guru.

Yeah, but NVIDIA is way more expensive. It looks like game more design and create for NVIDIA. So AMD ATI has overheating issues. Okay I'll keep that in mind.
Thanks Vyk :)

Mirage
10-10-2014, 11:13 PM
Does this mean you didn't end up upgrading the last time you asked this question? :p

DanielCLFFF13
10-10-2014, 11:35 PM
Does this mean you didn't end up upgrading the last time you asked this question? :pYeah I still need time and my parent approval to buy it. Now I'm good to go. The only thing left is which one should I buy. So I'll have no regret to buy one. Especially with each GPU issues, so my parent said I really need to consider it wisely.

Vyk
10-10-2014, 11:54 PM
The thing with expensive graphics cards however, are that you don't have to have the newest bleeding edge technology. The progress of technology these days means that you can get a card that was top of the line last year or the year before and still be good to go for a couple of years. I'm personally an ATI/AMD guy, but I won't deny that getting a good nVidia will get you a lot more options on the market, and you'll be able to play more taxing games like Crytek games and Unreal 4 and stuff, which may take more notice of the AMD market these days and games may be better optimized going forward, but it doesn't change the fact that they generally optimize it for nVidia first

But I'm a penny-pincher too. I went for a mid-grade comparable ATI for cheap and it's definitely gotten the job done over the years. I can't play anything on ultra high graphics, and I even tend to avoid going for high graphics, but it honestly hasn't failed to run anything I've thrown at it. I never have to run anything on low. And generally ENB and post processing makes up for any lack of graphical fidelity. So you definitely go with what you and your wallet is most comfortable with. I just wanted to lay out the pros and cons a little better

DanielCLFFF13
10-11-2014, 12:58 AM
The thing with expensive graphics cards however, are that you don't have to have the newest bleeding edge technology. The progress of technology these days means that you can get a card that was top of the line last year or the year before and still be good to go for a couple of years. I'm personally an ATI/AMD guy, but I won't deny that getting a good nVidia will get you a lot more options on the market, and you'll be able to play more taxing games like Crytek games and Unreal 4 and stuff, which may take more notice of the AMD market these days and games may be better optimized going forward, but it doesn't change the fact that they generally optimize it for nVidia first

But I'm a penny-pincher too. I went for a mid-grade comparable ATI for cheap and it's definitely gotten the job done over the years. I can't play anything on ultra high graphics, and I even tend to avoid going for high graphics, but it honestly hasn't failed to run anything I've thrown at it. I never have to run anything on low. And generally ENB and post processing makes up for any lack of graphical fidelity. So you definitely go with what you and your wallet is most comfortable with. I just wanted to lay out the pros and cons a little better

True. Depends on how much money I have. Really want to get NVIDIA GTX 780 Ti it's much better but the price with ATI R9 270 is much more cheaper (although GTX 780 Ti spec is higher compare to R9 270), maybe ATI that equal to GTX 780 Ti is R9 280 - R9 290 and above. Which I haven't asked for the price. But the issues that I need be aware of.
Wait does that mean if I buy ATI I can't play game that powered by Unreal 4 or newest game engine that doesn't support ATI GPU? Or did I wrong?

Mirage
10-11-2014, 01:55 AM
You still need to figure out what your budget is, before you can get any meaningful suggestions.

Pheesh
10-11-2014, 03:14 AM
My laptop has the Radeon HD 7970m, and honestly if I'm able to I'll be using nVidea from now on. The card is okay and runs games fine for the most part, but I've had an array of issues. The catalyst control centre has freaked out on me on numerous occasions, causing the program to crash randomly. Also Far Cry 3 simply can not be played without these weird semi-transparent squares showing up on the screen. If you google that problem you'll see it's something exclusive to AMD cards, simply because the game was made with nVidea in mind.

So yeah, the card is fine for the most part, but it seems like nVidea has less issues overall.

DanielCLFFF13
10-13-2014, 11:12 AM
You still need to figure out what your budget is, before you can get any meaningful suggestions.

Well my father said the ones that got the same price as GTX 780 Ti is fine. But the price is different in every country, so I can't say for certain how much it is.

My laptop has the Radeon HD 7970m, and honestly if I'm able to I'll be using nVidea from now on. The card is okay and runs games fine for the most part, but I've had an array of issues. The catalyst control centre has freaked out on me on numerous occasions, causing the program to crash randomly. Also Far Cry 3 simply can not be played without these weird semi-transparent squares showing up on the screen. If you google that problem you'll see it's something exclusive to AMD cards, simply because the game was made with nVidea in mind.

So yeah, the card is fine for the most part, but it seems like nVidea has less issues overall.

So NVIDIA has less issues, ok. Thanks Pheesh :)

Thanks guys for your information, I finally can choose the one that I need or want :D
Once again Thanks guys :)