PDA

View Full Version : I've never actually sat down and seriously played a Mario, Zelda or Metroid.

Loony BoB
10-10-2014, 11:01 PM
Are they really all that great? I don't think I even have a console besides a few handhelds because Pokémon.

The Man
10-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Yes, they are. In particular, Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past, and Super Metroid are arguably the greatest games in their respective genres (platformer, action/adventure, and Metroidvania) ever made. The only thing that makes me say "arguably" for ALttP is that the original give it a run for its money, although it probably won't be the best introduction to the series because of its difficulty. And really, there's nothing arguable about Super Metroid. If anything, it's arguably the best video game ever made, period. This isn't nostalgia talking, either, because I first played it in 2011.

Loony BoB
10-10-2014, 11:04 PM
I get the impression I'd genuinely like playing Zelda games. I'm not sure about Mario stuff though. I don't really know much about Metroid at all.

Slothy
10-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Yes, they are. In particular, Yoshi's Island, A Link to the Past, and Super Metroid are arguably the greatest games in their respective genres (platformer, action/adventure, and Metroidvania) ever made.

Let's not forget Mario 64.

And BoB, this is an unacceptable revelation. Perhaps you would like to come over for dinner so that I may... re-educate you in the gaming and culinary arts.

The Man
10-10-2014, 11:14 PM
Oh yeah, Mario 64 has a strong case to be made for being the best 3D platformer.

Loony BoB
10-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Oh, I've played Mario Kart games a decent amount. Does that count? Particularly on the N64.

Slothy
10-10-2014, 11:17 PM
When it's only real flaw is that controllers with two analog sticks didn't exist, but it adapted well none the less, I have a hard time considering most 3D platformers as even being in the same league. The variety of the levels, the non-linearity, and the damn near perfect controls are astonishing to this day. More so when you consider Nintendo essentially nailed it on the first try.

The Man
10-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Yeah, it's pretty shocking that they built most of the tropes we now associate with the 3D platformer on their first outing and managed to make the game that did so a masterpiece. It's far, far better than anyone had a right to expect it would be.

Slothy
10-10-2014, 11:20 PM
when you think about it though, that's surprisingly true of pretty much every genre Nintendo either invented or defined. Their first entries are almost universally amazing.

Wolf Kanno
10-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Here you go BoB, here's a crash course for you...

NSFW due to language and subject matter. Got permission to post these so don't think you can post similar stuff since I did!

Mario
0jfU7pw76ZE

Zelda
0m9QUoW5KnY

Metroid
Ky-eaH9C1l0

Loony BoB
10-10-2014, 11:22 PM
So what game should I play if I were to play one Nintendo game. I don't mean me as a general person, I mean... me. What would you, knowing me, suggest I start with.

I'm not saying I will do this as I don't have a Nintendo home console, but if I do someday get one, then, well, I'll be all over this for sure.

The Man
10-10-2014, 11:23 PM
when you think about it though, that's surprisingly true of pretty much every genre Nintendo either invented or defined. Their first entries are almost universally amazing.

That's true. The Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros. are also genre-defining classics. Metroid would be too if Super Metroid hadn't improved on it in every conceivable way, but it's still pretty high up there.

So what game should I play if I were to play one Nintendo game. I don't mean me as a general person, I mean... me. What would you, knowing me, suggest I start with.

I'm not saying I will do this as I don't have a Nintendo home console, but if I do someday get one, then, well, I'll be all over this for sure.

Super Mario RPG, maybe. It's not very typical, but since you like Square games, it's a good starting place for you.

Slothy
10-10-2014, 11:25 PM
I'm not saying I will do this as I don't have a Nintendo home console

Bob's the only guy on the internet who's never heard of the internet.

If you like platformers at all, play Mario and Metroid. And play LttP because if you don't then I will consider it a personal sleight. And you wouldn't want to be rude.

Loony BoB
10-10-2014, 11:27 PM
I'm not saying I will do this as I don't have a Nintendo home console

Bob's the only guy on the internet who's never heard of the internet.
BoB*

Let's just say that yes I am aware of the internet. :shifty:

What's a personal sleight? EDIT: Woah, that's actually how you spell that? All this time, I had no idea.

Slothy
10-10-2014, 11:30 PM
I swear to god I hit shift for that second B. Damn new keyboard.

And my bad, I actually used the wrong slight too. The one before is more for sleight of hand and all that jazz.

Freya
10-10-2014, 11:36 PM
BoB, I knew something was wrong with you. It all makes perfect sense now

Psychotic
10-10-2014, 11:43 PM
I've only played the original NES Zelda (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/123411-Eyes-on-Plays-The-Legend-of-Zelda?p=2641880&viewfull=1#post2641880) and Mario (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/140187-January-gaming-competition-Super-Mario-Bros?p=3049790&viewfull=1#post3049790) because EoFF made me.

Jolly good fun they were too.

Wolf Kanno
10-10-2014, 11:50 PM
I actually feel Link to the Past is a good start for Zelda since it's basically the bridge between the 3D Zelda's but still pertains elements of classic Zelda. I feel it's the most user friendly entry that still gives you a good idea concerning the whole franchise.

Mario I feel really should begin with Super Mario Bros. because it still incredibly fun despite it's simplicity. Definetly play this franchise in order.

Metroid has not fared as well as the other two. The first was incredibly novel and incredibly annoying if you didn't know what you were doing. Most people forget about Metroid II on account of it being for the GameBoy and Super Metroid is considered to be the best entry that follows the series formula. Metroid Fusion isn't a bad entry either if a bit more story heavy than fans are used to, not to mention it basically feels like a watered down version of Super Metroid. Metroid Prime Trilogy gets a lot of praise from fans but remains a bit divisive since it was a bit of a radical departure for the franchise but at the same time kind of revived franchise since it took a major hiatus in the last half of the 90s.

Colonel Angus
10-10-2014, 11:56 PM
Here's a "top" 5 list for NES & SNES you should play, one for Nintendo brand games, and another for 3rd party (I'll omit FFs).

NES-Nintendo
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 3
Legend of Zelda
Metroid
Super Mario Bros. 2

NES-3rd Party
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse
Ducktales (Woo Hoo)
Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers
Super C
Contra

SNES-Nintendo
Super Mario World
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Super Metroid
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island

SNES-3rd Party
Super Castlevania IV
Mortal Kombat II
Street Fighter II Turbo
Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
Robocop vs. Terminator

Loony BoB
10-11-2014, 12:05 AM
Is that the same Duck Tales game that was out on the PC in the 90's or so? Because I totally played that.

EDIT: Also played Robocop vs. Terminator and Mortal Kombat II on SEGA systems.

Colonel Angus
10-11-2014, 12:36 AM
Is that the same Duck Tales game that was out on the PC in the 90's or so? Because I totally played that.

EDIT: Also played Robocop vs. Terminator and Mortal Kombat II on SEGA systems.
No, I don't think so. This is a side scroller. It was HD remastered last year & that version is on every system & Steam.

Dat Matt
10-11-2014, 12:55 AM
Zelda
0m9QUoW5KnY

Reference for my Avatar/Sig

Del Murder
10-11-2014, 03:42 AM
BoB, I knew something was wrong with you. It all makes perfect sense now
Coming to post exactly this.

Dat Matt
10-11-2014, 12:21 PM
I'd recommend playing Super Mario World, Link to the Past and Metroid Fusion. SMW and LTTP were both remade on the GBA so you can get a GBA emulator and get them from CoolROMs or something.

I would recommend other games like Wind Waker and Mario Galazy, but they are harder to emulate.

Aulayna
10-14-2014, 07:04 PM
BoB I am sorry but we can no longer be friends until you rectify this.

This is the greatest travesty in the history of everything.

Ayen
10-14-2014, 08:00 PM
I second Super Mario RPG. You can check out my review of it on the frontsite if you'd like to learn more.

I also have reviews of Super Mario Brothers, Luigi's Mansion, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Prime if you're interested in any of those. Granted, the Mario Brothers review is more of a compare and contrast with the first Sonic game, but still.

Yes, I'm shamelessly self promoting myself.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-14-2014, 09:26 PM
I've always felt that Super Mario World or Mario 3 would be the best to get into the 2D style Mario games. I'm always flip flopping between which I like better, but they are both brilliant. The original is a great platformer, but the other two are better games. Between all 3 franchises, I feel like this is the best place to start just because it's very easy to pick up and play and have fun even if you only have a few minutes to play something.

With Zelda, I do feel like Ocarina Time is a great start. It has its detractors here, and that's probably partially due to how overblown the love for the game is. It's great fun though. Otherwise, A Link to the Past is a good starting point based on what others have said. I've not played it.

Metroid I have little experience with. I've only played the original, and it's pretty easy to get lost in that game or to not know where to go. Super Metroid is pretty much universally acclaimed though, and it's probably a good place to start. Based on the first game alone, this is the hardest of the franchises to get into for me. That could very well be different if I played Super Metroid or Metroid Prime though,

Ayen
10-14-2014, 10:01 PM
I'd recommend Zero Mission, personally. It's basically a remake of the first game with Super Metroid-like gameplay.

Sephex
10-14-2014, 10:17 PM
If it helps, BoB, Nintendo believes soup is a drink.

escobert
10-14-2014, 11:08 PM
I'm not a metroid or mario fan but, Zelda is definitely worth a play. The first and A Link To The Past are super fun and great games.

Slothy
10-14-2014, 11:14 PM
If it helps, BoB, Nintendo believes soup is a drink.

Don't think that's helped anyone ever. Least of all him.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-23-2014, 05:25 PM

Their main gaffs have come from letting outside publishers try to do things with their franchises. Like the stuff that came out for the Phillips CD-i.

Well, that and the Virtual Boy.

BoB, I am disappointed in you. Go play Zelda:Lttp, Super Metroid, and Mario 64 immediately.

In that order.