PDA

View Full Version : Feel old with me!

chionos
10-12-2014, 01:22 AM
This is sad. But funny!

bDOZbvE01Fk

It's enlightening to me. I thought the NES was a bit more ubiquitous, more widely known at least. But some people don't even know that it existed? Am I really that old now?

So funny watching them try to get it started. So funny!

Colonel Angus
10-13-2014, 02:46 AM
The teens who do these videos seem to put on a big act.

Even if they're not, the current generation of youths are completely oblivious to anything that happened before they're born. When I was younger, I knew of things that came before my time. This current generation relishes in ignorance.

chionos
10-13-2014, 03:12 AM
It's a very interesting phenomenon that the more accessible knowledge is, the more ignorant people are.

I don't think they're acting. Might be the editing. I don't know. They seem pretty genuinely ignorant.

theundeadhero
10-13-2014, 05:50 AM
When I watched this before it made me want to play Mike Tyson's Punch-Out. So I did.

Vyk
10-13-2014, 09:25 PM
It's been blocked... Yuck

Psychotic
10-13-2014, 10:35 PM
Is that Arya?

Final Fantasy was released the year I was born. I know of the NES even though it's before my time but before then it's kind of "Here be dragons" territory. MSX? Jaguar? Atari? The ET Debacle? Fuck knows. I wouldn't have a clue how to use a NES either, I've only ever emulated. These kids are over 10 years younger than me so I'm not surprised.

chionos
10-13-2014, 11:43 PM
It is Arya. She's in a lot of the Teens React videos. She often seems more disconnected than any of the rest of them, which I guess makes sense.

It's interesting that the generation from the videos doesn't know anything about the NES, but I know there are younger kids that do. My kids have played NES because I have an NES. I guess there's a gap there where kids are too young to have played these things themselves, but often too old to have parents who grew up on it (parents in their 30's or so).

Sephex
10-13-2014, 11:47 PM
I have seen this before and they were actually more respectful than I thought they would be. I don't let stuff like that bother me because as time marches on, no matter how much information is available, younger people will always be all about whatever is new to them. It's not a bad thing, and it's not like every youth turns a blind eye to old things, anyway.

I guess I am more sympathetic because I remember the days where video games in general were looked down upon by older generations. I was more lucky since I had little to no resistance of it with my immediate family (they even played some games here and there), but other parts of my family or friends families acted like we were juggling knives or something. They failed to see that they looked at something like watching television for extended periods of time as normal, which generations older than them had a huge problem with, but time marched on and that activity became more accepted. The same thing is happening to games today, and I am totally getting off track here.

Point is, I try not to turn into one of those adults. If a young person likes stuff from my childhood, cool. If not, no big deal. I would like to see people around my age deal with (and going in without instructions) an 8-track player, an older type writer, or paying bills without the assistance of the internet.

chionos
10-14-2014, 12:11 AM
I don't think anyone's denigrating the kids for not knowing. It's not their fault or anything. It's just interesting. And funny.

Sephex
10-14-2014, 01:15 AM
I don't think anyone's denigrating the kids for not knowing. It's not their fault or anything. It's just interesting. And funny.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the video was amusing (as well as other ones by that channel). I guess I am so used to the cynicism I see when videos like these are discussed, so I ended up going on a tangent.

Ayen
10-14-2014, 02:01 AM
The copyright claim strikes again!