PDA

View Full Version : Debating about plunging into the next Console Generation...

Wolf Kanno
10-12-2014, 06:26 PM
So with that said, I'm curious to hear which of the Big 3 I should hand my money to and why? It still feels like everyone is trying to get their footing in the marketplace in terms of software but which system do you feel has the most long-term value?

Psychotic
10-12-2014, 06:39 PM
I'm still undecided and still not ready, though I'm leaning towards a PS4. Certainly the PS4 is EoFF's console of choice and the Xbone has copped a lot of hate online. The one thing I do have to say for the Xbone is that my IRL friends who have it really rate it, and the couple that have both the PS4 and Xbone prefer the latter. I also think the 360 is a much better console than the PS3, owning both. I'm probably going to make the jump when Type-0 HD comes out and it'll probably be a PS4 but who knows. Not 100% made up my mind for sure yet.

Mirage
10-12-2014, 07:05 PM
I'll get a PS4 and Nintendo View.

DMKA
10-12-2014, 07:20 PM
I'd say the PS4 is going to have the most long term value, based on the power and install base alone, both of which are far ahead of the competition at this point. Also, if you have any interest in Japanese games at all the PS4 is going to be what you want.

Although I have to say, as someone who owns both a PS4 and a Wii U, I still think those of you who haven't jumped into gen 8 yet are better off waiting still, no matter what console you're interested in. There's lots of games coming, but that's just it; they're coming, none of them are here yet. The new game stream is going to begin next year, and by then you may very well be able to find these machines a little cheaper, and who knows what sort of packages will be out then?

Oh sure, there's a few exclusive high profile releases this year worth getting excited about for each console (Bayonetta 2 and Assassin's Creed Unity both have me super pumped), but enough to run out and invest $300 to $500? Not just yet.

Besides, last gen is still getting a pretty regular stream of high profile releases. The Evil Within, Assassin's Creed Rogue, Kingdom Hearts 2.5 ReMix, LittleBigPlanet 3...all look very promising and all are coming out on last gen consoles this year.

Mirage
10-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I'm not buying a PS4 until there is MGS5 and some other stuff available for it.

Pumpkin
10-12-2014, 07:24 PM
We'll be getting a PS4

Del Murder
10-12-2014, 09:39 PM
PS4 will be mine at some point, but like DMKA says there's no real need to get one yet. Catching up with prior gen titles as well as AC Rogue will keep me busy until the end of the year.

I'll probably also cave for a wii u once a major Zelda game is released for it.

Skyblade
10-12-2014, 11:17 PM
Currently enjoying the bajeebas out of my Wii U. I got Wind Waker HD when I picked up the system, but Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors have both been stunning. Super Mario 3D World was quite good, for a Mario game. Bayonetta 2 and Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker are also both looking awesome.

Plus, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem is still on the way.

Mirage
10-13-2014, 12:50 AM
Mario Kart 8 is basically the main reason why I want a WiiU. The other stuff is just padding.

chionos
10-13-2014, 01:07 AM
PS4. My kids have a WiiU and love it. I have all three previous generation systems, and probably eventually have all three of the new ones. There are always some games on each system that suck me in.

Slothy
10-13-2014, 02:28 AM
PS4 is the only one I'd spend money on if pressed, but it definitely would not be any time soon.

Colonel Angus
10-13-2014, 03:03 AM
I want both a PS4 & WiiU. However, since Squeenix seems content on releasing PC versions of their games, I don't know if I'll need a PS4.

NeoCracker
10-13-2014, 03:35 AM
Wii U get's Xenoblade Chronicles X. PS4 is getting Persona 4, and presumably more Atlus titles.

Face it Kanno, this is what is going to decide your purchase. Atlus Vs. Monolith.

Jessweeee♪
10-13-2014, 03:38 AM
If Playstation Now turns out to be as cool as it sounds, I'd be leaning towards PS4. I'm going to wait awhile and see :spin:

NeoCracker
10-13-2014, 04:39 AM
Anything I've seen on Playstation Now just makes it look overpriced as hell.

I'd rather they just continue doing the Classic Releases like they have been with PS3 myself. :p

Ayen
10-13-2014, 04:51 AM
I'll consider going to next gen when games stop becoming available on last gen systems, and it doesn't look like that will be happening any time soon.

DMKA
10-13-2014, 05:25 AM

I'd rather they just continue doing the Classic Releases like they have been with PS3 myself. :p
Yeah, I haven't paid attention to PSNow, but I recall the prices in the beta being nuts.

Colonel Angus
10-13-2014, 05:26 AM

Yeah, I haven't paid attention to PSNow, but I recall the prices in the beta being nuts.
What kind of nuts are we talking about? If it's peanuts, that's not bad. But if it's macadamia, they better forget it.

chionos
10-13-2014, 05:44 AM
Don't you fucking dare touch my pistachios.

Skyblade
10-13-2014, 07:15 AM
Wii U get's Xenoblade Chronicles X. PS4 is getting Persona 4, and presumably more Atlus titles.

Face it Kanno, this is what is going to decide your purchase. Atlus Vs. Monolith.

Problem: The PS3 is also getting Persona 5.

NeoCracker
10-13-2014, 09:01 AM

I was aluding to the likelihood of more SMT exclusive stuff for sony. I doubt there MO for the entire generation is going to be releasing the games on both PS3 and 4.

Similarly I doubt Chronlicles is going to be the only Wii U title released from Monolith. :p

Wolf Kanno
10-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Depends on how well Xenoblade Chronicles X does. Also, I wouldn't be so sure about Atlus' Persona/MegaTen teams being uber generous with games. Considering all we got last generation for console was Catherine and the soon to be released Persona 5. It will be 2020 before we see SMTV since the MegaTen team has this habit of releasing a new entry once a decade since SMTII. :lol:

I can honestly say I don't really see much on the X-Bone to care about so it really would come down to the Wii U or PS4 but frankly I have some reservations with both of them.

For the Wii U, I'm mainly interested in:
Zelda Wind Waker HD
Xenoblade Chronicles
SMT X Fire Emblem
new Zelda title

For PS4:
Silent Hills
MGSV
FFType-0

So yeah... probably not in a hurry at the moment but I'm just thinking about the future here and seeing if I may have missed something.

Skyblade
10-13-2014, 05:17 PM

I was aluding to the likelihood of more SMT exclusive stuff for sony. I doubt there MO for the entire generation is going to be releasing the games on both PS3 and 4.

Similarly I doubt Chronlicles is going to be the only Wii U title released from Monolith. :p

For Sony, that may be right. For ATLUS? I'm not so sure. There's a reason why they own the Vita's library, and it's because they are pretty much the only devs to not push the system to its limits with their games for it (aside from indies, of course). ATLUS is most comfortable making games that are not pushing the envelope of system capability. And as long as the games work on the PS3, they'll be released on the PS3.

Although if they announce Shining Force IV, I will have to buy whatever system it comes out for.

escobert
10-13-2014, 07:21 PM
I own a PSone. it's a cool system. I have a little screen for it too! :p

NeoCracker
10-14-2014, 12:37 AM

For Sony, that may be right. For ATLUS? I'm not so sure. There's a reason why they own the Vita's library, and it's because they are pretty much the only devs to not push the system to its limits with their games for it (aside from indies, of course). ATLUS is most comfortable making games that are not pushing the envelope of system capability. And as long as the games work on the PS3, they'll be released on the PS3.

Although if they announce Shining Force IV, I will have to buy whatever system it comes out for.

The fact it matters to Sony means it's going to matter to Atlus. Right now not so much, but no way Sony isn't going to encourage Atlus to starting doing it on just PS4 later. And since the question was about longterm? Unless Atlus starts releasing their main titles multiconsole later on, they still stand as a good force for PS4.

For me I'd also throw in NISA, but I was answering for Wolf, and I get the strangest feeling a lot of NISA's releases don't tickle his fancy. :P (Atelier anyone? Though that's just published, as it's actually GUST! behind it, but until Gust get's their own localization teams, they seem to be done by NISA.)

Iceglow
10-14-2014, 01:01 AM
I'm definitely going to go Xbox One. The reason for this is some of my most played games at the moment have a deal whereby if you stay within the same console family you can get the Gen 8 version of the game for like £5 - £10 instead of £40 - 50 as most people pay. That's a major saving when you consider I have games such as Destiny eating up a very large portion of my time.

That being said another major plus would be the fact that the 360 controller and Xbox One pad are perhaps somewhat sadly from the perspective of my ps2 loving heart far superior controllers to the Dual Shock. Perhaps I say this because I've grown used to it but playing FPS and GTA games on both PS3 at my sisters, and 360 at home the pad is simply better in terms of comfort and hand positioning.

Plus at heart I'm a filthy achievement whore :P

Aulayna
10-14-2014, 10:26 AM
PC.

Loony BoB
10-14-2014, 11:48 AM
I'll probably buy a PS4 for Type-0. So I still have time to delay for now. Nothing exclusive to the Xbone has me interested in it yet. The second console I get for the next generation will be either a Vita (because Uncharted + PS4 integration) or a Wii U (because backwards compatibility so 2x consoles in one, yes please).

Bolivar
10-14-2014, 02:20 PM
If you want a great variety of games, you really can't go wrong with either a PS4 or XBOX One, it all comes down to which developers you're a bigger fan of. That holds true if you're just looking for Japanese games, as I think even Microsoft will get their fair share when it's all said and done.

As far as the longevity question in the OP, I think Nintendo is going to give the Wii U its obligatory 4 years and release the next one. It's tracking behind the Dreamcast iirc and we've just about crossed off all the ideas on the "What Will Save the Wii U?" chalkboard.

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2014, 03:16 PM
PC.

Already have that. :p

Spuuky
10-14-2014, 07:41 PM
PC.

Already have that. :pThen what do you need anything else for? :|

Depression Moon
10-14-2014, 08:46 PM
There's only Killer Instinct for Xbox One, and is there anything out for PS4? The Wii U has Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Super Mario 3D World, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, and very shortly Super Smash Bros. (what's the name of this new entry? I feel that it still doesn't have a name yet) and Bayonetta 2.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-14-2014, 09:35 PM
The PS4 has Infamous Second Son, which was pretty fun to play. Resogun is a great downloadable game too. Lots of indies, but most of those are available on steam/ps3/vita too. There isn't really much on either the ps4 or xbox one that you can't play on earlier systems/pc/each other.

The Wii U definitely has the most exclusive goodness to play on it, but it's also been out for longer. I doubt it'll be too long before the PS4 and Xbox pass it up.

Loony BoB
10-16-2014, 04:48 PM
PC.

Console exclusives, one would hazard a guess.

Vyk
10-16-2014, 05:52 PM
I don't know about consoles but as far as companies I'm definitely throwing in with Sony. The new game from the Souls team. Bloodborne is it? I think that's going to be exclusive. Most Japanese developers love Sony more. So more things from Atlus and NIS as stated. Any hope of something from team ico. Anything from Naughty Dog. And from the sound of it they've been friendlier to indie devs. Plus I'll probably end up getting higher def versions of previous games like Dragon Age and Alien. Possibly even things like Sleeping Dogs. Tomb Raider. The Last of Us. Etc. To me Nintendo only has Bayonetta and Xenoblade that tempt me. If they make a console Fire Emblem as good as Awakening I'll probably be sold. But for now I'm only looking to Sony

Wolf Kanno
10-17-2014, 01:19 AM
PC.

Console exclusives, one would hazard a guess.

Pretty much this, that and I just don't really care to game on my PC. Too many distractions makes it a less than ideal experiencing for me.

Pete for President
10-19-2014, 12:05 PM
I will probably get a PS4 if Bloodborne will be what I think it will be and when it gets released in Europe. It's the only console exclusive I have my eyes on.