PDA

View Full Version : Frosting

Night Fury
10-13-2014, 10:59 AM
I love love love cupcakes with buttercream frosting as long as the frosting is really nicely done. I hate when it's really sickly. I also have a huge gripe at bakers who put on TOO MUCH FROSTING.

I like there to be a good cake to frosting ratio, and when there is more frosting than cake it is ALL WRONG and makes me really mad. I hate too much frosting especially on carrot cake. The cake is amazing and beautiful and moist with lots of flavour why would you bury it in cream cheese frosting?! A little coating is fine, but a lot of the time if I buy carrot cake out I have to scrape half of the frosting off.

This week I've had mega craving for frosting so I might make cupcakes tomorrow with fresh buttercream!

Who else loves frosting?

http://media2.handmadecharlotte.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1-cupcake-frosting-guide.jpg

Chris
10-13-2014, 01:18 PM
A delicious cheese frosting is without parallel. I've been using a lot of cheese in all of my desserts lately, and a lovely creamy cheese frosting, can do wonders.

Shorty
10-13-2014, 05:09 PM
I freaking love frosting. Unfrosted things upset me. Brownies should always be frosted, goddamnit. Get out of here with your unfrosted brownies!

I, too, enjoy a good hunk of frosting, but when there's more than or 50% frosting of the thing that has been frosted, it feels like too much. 1/4-1/3 of the mass being frosted is a good frosting ratio to me.

I wish I were a good froster :( I have such an unsteady hand and I'm no good with details like tufts and flowery petals and swirls. I've always intended to practice but just... haven't. Sprinkles tend to solve this dilemma, because you can cover anything with sprinkles and it will look amazing.

Freya
10-13-2014, 05:11 PM
Big fan of Buttercream frosting. mmm frosting.

Night Fury
10-14-2014, 05:11 AM
Noooo! Brownies should just be dusted. DUSTED!

I will just mix icing sugar with a tiny bit of cocoa for my dusting, and at Christmas I'll add in a tiny bit of cinnamon instead! But only because brownies should be devoured while they're still warm and you don't have time to frost them.... it would be wrong!

EDIT: I made my cakes today!!!

Pretty bog standard chocolate cupcakes - although I used a new recipe today and I'm honestly not as keen on it as I am my own recipe. I frosted with vanilla buttercream that I made pink! And then I don't have any regular sprinkles so I used my sugar crystals! :D Pink and a little bit of blue! I tried with the yellow but they're stuck in the tub :/

My craving for frosting has now gone, although I really, really do want a piping bag! These cupcakes looked PERFECT when they came out of the oven and my frosting skills are pretty bad. haha! Practice makes perfect! (the frosting was AMAZING though)

I also made bite-size cheese scones which Phil had polished off within about 10 minutes of them leaving the oven.

Six
10-14-2014, 12:56 PM
Not me. I'm not rally a sweets eater, although the donuts with the pink frosting are amazing once in a while... That's about as far as I'll go. xD

Shorty
10-14-2014, 05:44 PM
BROWNIES SHOULD HAVE A THICK LAYER OF CHOCOLATE FROSTING ON TOP OF THEM

Shauna
10-14-2014, 05:55 PM
No Locky is right.

I can do a bit of frosting, but too much of it makes me feel sick to my stomach. Too much sugar ~_~

Ergroilnin
10-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Who needs cake when he can have frosting?

sharkythesharkdogg
10-16-2014, 05:11 PM
If I'm already aware of it, then it's usually fine, but I always feel ripped off when I get a slice of birthday cake and instead of the buttercream frosting I expect it's whipped frosting. :mad2:

Whipped may be better for you, but it's freaking frosting. That's not the point of frosting.

metagloria
10-16-2014, 05:50 PM
If you're going to frost brownies, it shouldn't be chocolate. It should be something complementary, like vanilla, or mint. But I'm totally fine with unfrosted brownies. Cupcakes, on the other hand, GIMME DAT ICING. Not cream cheese though. Buttercream is better.

Somebody should invent a way for cupcakes to be edible with getting the frosting all over your fingers/mouth/face though.

Colonel Angus
10-18-2014, 06:00 AM
Hwipped cream frosting is boss. You turkeys are jive.

DK
10-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Brownies should always be frosted, goddamnit. Get out of here with your unfrosted brownies!

worst person

frosting is great, icing is utterly dire

Colonel Angus
10-18-2014, 06:40 PM
Brownies should always be frosted, goddamnit. Get out of here with your unfrosted brownies!

worst person

frosting is great, icing is utterly dire
OMG please don't derail this thread into a icing vs frosting flame-off!:lol: