PDA

View Full Version : NEStlevanias

Colonel Angus
10-14-2014, 03:07 AM
Which Castlevania on the NES was your favorite? Was it the challenging first one, the puzzling Simon's Quest, or the tag-teaming Dracula's Curse?

Sephex
10-14-2014, 03:40 AM
Probably the first one. I played way more of the second one as a kid, but I have grown to love the original the best. The third one was cool and offered good ideas at the time, but I guess I gravitate towards a more simplistic style when it comes to the classicvania games.

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2014, 03:53 AM
The first one will always be my favorite. Though I wish I had a chance to really play Castlevania III.

chionos
10-14-2014, 03:58 AM
The first. It was brain-numbingly unforgiving, but it captured my imagination and was just plain fun.

Spooniest
10-14-2014, 04:13 AM
I dig Castlevania III and all, but the first one wins, possibly by virtue of how often it's been drilled into my memory over the years. Even CV3 has a level where you basically are back in the first level from 1.

And dat musics...

ih20Tx-fNJs

chionos
10-14-2014, 04:43 AM
Thanks a lot Spoons. I had shit to do, and now I have to have a Smooth McGroove night.

Spooniest
10-14-2014, 05:01 AM
'Tis wat I do

theundeadhero
10-14-2014, 09:23 AM
The first one was my favorite. I loved the challenge and amazing music. What's sad is I beat it in a weekend as a kid when I rented it, but couldn't the last few times I've tried.

Vyk
10-14-2014, 09:35 PM
8 Eyes :3

Flying Mullet
10-15-2014, 06:32 PM
The quest Simon went on is definitely the best.

escobert
10-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Simons Quest for me. My dad and I spent almost as much time on that together as we did on The Legend Of Zelda.

Rez09
10-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Man, I came in here expecting everyone to like the third the best and to be the only one advocating the first game.

My rebel dream. ; -;

Vyk
10-15-2014, 08:40 PM
I have longer and fonder memories of Simon's Quest and Dracula's Curse. And I think I appreciated Simon's Quest the most. Love the non-linearity. Too bad it was so cryptic and broken. Pretty sure I never got anywhere in it as a child because of that garbage. I'm tempted to play the re-translation someone did. I think there's even a hack that fixes the night/day mechanic

But I did so love crawling around on the ceiling as the thief in Dracula's Curse

Rez09
10-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Ohhhhh yeah, I remember hearing about that patch for CV2. I never got around to trying it, but I found it on Romhacking.net (http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/1191/) and both reviews are pretty positive, so I'll have to play through it later. Like you said, the original was a bit too cryptic, so this will likely make it much more enjoyable. It is a bit sad nothing was done to the bosses, though -- being able to walk past them kind of deadens the experience.

Colonel Angus
10-15-2014, 09:56 PM
IMO the 3rd one expanded upon what the first one introduced to us. The 2nd, I remember only as something an old buddy's brother had. I remember he had a password for the flame whip, which was pretty awesome @ the time.

The only one I owned on the NES was Dracula's Curse. I got to Dracula a couple of time, but I think I beat the blue demon form only once. I got the first on the GBA when they did the Classic NES series. I enjoyed it a lot, but couldn't get past Frankenstein.

Spooniest
10-15-2014, 10:21 PM
IMO the 3rd one expanded upon what the first one introduced to us. The 2nd, I remember only as something an old buddy's brother had. I remember he had a password for the flame whip, which was pretty awesome @ the time.

The only one I owned on the NES was Dracula's Curse. I got to Dracula a couple of time, but I think I beat the blue demon form only once. I got the first on the GBA when they did the Classic NES series. I enjoyed it a lot, but couldn't get past Frankenstein.

If you just straight up bum rush him with the holy water you can win that fight easily.

That's how you have to play Castlevania: "No quarter asked, none given."