PDA

View Full Version : Anyone knows how to use XBOX 360 controller on PC.

DanielCLFFF13
10-14-2014, 07:18 AM
So I want to use XBOX 360 controller on PC, I have searched throughout internet, yes there are a lot of explanation about it. The explanation about it is really hard for me understand (since my english is not that good)
All I understand are : need XBOX 360 controller, program or software to identify the XBOX 360 controller, and some wireless reciever for wireless XBOX 360 controller.
Since some games that I play required XBOX 360 controller and the game didn't identify my dualpad controller right, so it's a bit mixed up in game. Like camera control, camera up is identify to camera right, 3 (which is A in xbox360) is identify to 1 (which is Y in xbox360)

So will it really work? If it work I'll buy it. Because if I buy XBOX 360 controller and in the end it didn't work, it will waste my parent's money. If anyone know or already use XBOX 360 controller on PC and know how to set it up, please help.

And a question about STEAM, I have found STEAM card, Thanks to escobert for the information, and now I have some money in STEAM wallet. After I put the game in my cart will STEAM ask for another confusing stuff or just pay and download?

CimminyCricket
10-14-2014, 03:04 PM
You'll need a driver (set of instructions) to tell the computer how to use the controller.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

That's the link to the microsoft website where you'll be able to download a driver based on your operating system. Hope this helps.

Quindiana Jones
10-14-2014, 04:24 PM
^This.

If it's an official Xbox 360 controller, you should be alright just plugging it in and letting the computer find and install the necessary drivers. If that fails, then that link given will do it with no fuss.

DanielCLFFF13
10-14-2014, 06:48 PM
You'll need a driver (set of instructions) to tell the computer how to use the controller.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/xbox-360-controller-for-windows

That's the link to the microsoft website where you'll be able to download a driver based on your operating system. Hope this helps.

Ok, so that's the software. Thanks CimminyCricket :)

^This.

If it's an official Xbox 360 controller, you should be alright just plugging it in and letting the computer find and install the necessary drivers. If that fails, then that link given will do it with no fuss.

Well for wired XBOX 360 controller yes, just plug it in and install the driver and play (or at least the Microsoft site say so).
But for wireless XBOX 360 controller it's kind of complicated. I need wireless gaming reciever and if the product is fake or create by other than Microsoft, there's no guarantee it will work.
Because some stores that I've been to only sell the wireless XBOX 360 controller. But I haven't checked them all. Hopefully I find the wired XBOX 360 controller.
But Thanks Quin :)

Spuuky
10-14-2014, 07:39 PM
I don't know about the XBox, but for the PS3 controller it was a lot simpler to just buy a USB cable even though it technically supports Bluetooth or whatever it uses.

DanielCLFFF13
10-14-2014, 09:16 PM
I don't know about the XBox, but for the PS3 controller it was a lot simpler to just buy a USB cable even though it technically supports Bluetooth or whatever it uses.

I could use PS3 controller on PC? I have no idea. I thought PS3 controller isn't compatible with PC. Is it require to install some kind of software to make it work or identify by PC like XBOX 360 controller or just plug it in and play?

Vyk
10-14-2014, 09:27 PM
With the 360 controller you simply need the driver, which honestly should automatically install when you plug one in (assuming it has a cord)

With PS3 you used to need a separate program called motioninjoy (I think?) and had to map it to keys. It's been a long time since I've tried it, and newer updates from Sony or Microsoft may have helped it be more "Plug'N'Play" compatible so I'm not sure if it's as complex anymore

I play a lot of PC games with a corded 360 controller. If you have or want a wireless you do have to get a receiver. And I don't think they make the official Microsoft one anymore. Last time I checked the only ones available were the Hong Kong knock-offs. Which worked fine, but had to be set up a special way by going into your device manager and telling it that the receiver was actually an official 360 wireless receiver rather than whatever generic functionality it initially installs as

But really, if you get a wired 360 controller you should just be able to plug it in and go. But there is that official driver set-up as well, which adds extra functionality, but isn't generally necessary. It is nifty though that if you do get it and use it, you can test your controller by hitting the center button on the controller and a little XBox thingy will appear on your screen that allows you to play with some options if you want

DanielCLFFF13
10-14-2014, 10:18 PM
With the 360 controller you simply need the driver, which honestly should automatically install when you plug one in (assuming it has a cord)

With PS3 you used to need a separate program called motioninjoy (I think?) and had to map it to keys. It's been a long time since I've tried it, and newer updates from Sony or Microsoft may have helped it be more "Plug'N'Play" compatible so I'm not sure if it's as complex anymore

I play a lot of PC games with a corded 360 controller. If you have or want a wireless you do have to get a receiver. And I don't think they make the official Microsoft one anymore. Last time I checked the only ones available were the Hong Kong knock-offs. Which worked fine, but had to be set up a special way by going into your device manager and telling it that the receiver was actually an official 360 wireless receiver rather than whatever generic functionality it initially installs as

But really, if you get a wired 360 controller you should just be able to plug it in and go. But there is that official driver set-up as well, which adds extra functionality, but isn't generally necessary. It is nifty though that if you do get it and use it, you can test your controller by hitting the center button on the controller and a little XBox thingy will appear on your screen that allows you to play with some options if you want

So PS3 controller installation almost as complicated as XBOX 360 controller.

Cord? corded XBOX 360 controller? I haven't heard it. Yeah wired ones is much easier. But I can't find one in some store I've been to. They only sell the wireless ones. They say the wireless is the newer version of XBOX 360 controller or something like that. The only way to buy wired XBOX 360 controller is from Microsoft site directly, which take some time to ship it here.

Microsoft didn't make wireless gaming reciever anymore? So if I get wireless one I need to buy from other people who make it. Yeah in Amazon there is an almost exact wireless gaming reciever named by Microsoft. But it's fake, according to buyer review, it's ripped off from the original Microsoft product by whoever sell it or something like that.

It seems that XBOX 360 controller comes with more feature software from Microsoft. I asked one of the official game seller which sell console accessories, they didn't even know how to connect XBOX 360 controller.

Ok thanks Vyk :)

Mirage
10-15-2014, 01:30 AM

I had to use MiJ and that's not a program I would call simple. I found it to be the least stable driver/program I have ever put on my PC. In fact, it was so bad that I eventually just went out and bought a cheap Logitech controller and used that instead. The only thing I regret is that I didn't get a more expensive controller instead right away.

CimminyCricket
10-15-2014, 02:25 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Play-Charge-Cable-White/dp/B0011E4J7O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1413379451&sr=8-2&keywords=xbox+360+charging+cable

Here's a play and charge cable for the controller. It will let you plug the controller right into your computer. hope this helps

Vyk
10-16-2014, 02:47 AM
If I remember correctly, it's a misconception that the play-n-charge cable turns a wireless controller into the same thing as a wired one. It doesn't actually transmit any information. It only powers it. So the wireless receiver would still be necessary. And I have no idea why they'd design it that way. So dumb

Spuuky
10-16-2014, 05:51 PM

I had to use MiJ and that's not a program I would call simple. I found it to be the least stable driver/program I have ever put on my PC. In fact, it was so bad that I eventually just went out and bought a cheap Logitech controller and used that instead. The only thing I regret is that I didn't get a more expensive controller instead right away.MotioninJoy is awful and I would never support it. It's an awful, malicious-at-worst and offensive-at-best piece of software.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/1zgn97/tired_of_motioninjoy_heres_a_pnp_tool_that_makes/

Colonel Angus
10-17-2014, 06:07 PM
I always thought that you couldn't use a wireless XBox controller on the PC, that you need the wired one. I know Microsoft will automatically start downloading the driver when you plug it in.

Rantz
10-17-2014, 06:23 PM
I just bought the standard 360 controller for Windows (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-gb/p/xbox-360-wireless-controller-for-windows), worked perfectly and the installation was quick and simple.

DanielCLFFF13
10-23-2014, 12:10 PM
Ok thanks guys for the information :) I just found and bought the wireless XBOX 360 controller that comes with wireless gaming reciever. But will it work or not, I haven't test it yet, my PC is still on the work until tomorrow, or at least that's what my father's friend said.
Once again thanks guys :)

Vyk
10-24-2014, 10:20 PM
If it's not the official receiver from Microsoft, don't get too stressed when it doesn't work. There's tutorials online and even on the Amazon pages that sell them to tell people how to set it up in the Device Manager

Mirage
10-26-2014, 12:41 AM

I had to use MiJ and that's not a program I would call simple. I found it to be the least stable driver/program I have ever put on my PC. In fact, it was so bad that I eventually just went out and bought a cheap Logitech controller and used that instead. The only thing I regret is that I didn't get a more expensive controller instead right away.MotioninJoy is awful and I would never support it. It's an awful, malicious-at-worst and offensive-at-best piece of software.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS3/comments/1zgn97/tired_of_motioninjoy_heres_a_pnp_tool_that_makes/

I didn't know about that. This is very interesting, thank you!

DanielCLFFF13
10-29-2014, 01:15 PM
If it's not the official receiver from Microsoft, don't get too stressed when it doesn't work. There's tutorials online and even on the Amazon pages that sell them to tell people how to set it up in the Device Manager

I've tried it and it work. I don't know if this official or not, but there's Microsoft written on the box and comes with the CD/DVD driver also there's Microsoft logo in the GUI driver installer program, so maybe this is offical, maybe. I try it on The Witcher 2 and it work perfectly. Haven't try it on other games though.

But thanks Vyk :)

Mirage
10-29-2014, 05:35 PM
but why would you play the witcher 2 with a gamepad? :confused:

DanielCLFFF13
10-30-2014, 10:30 PM
but why would you play the witcher 2 with a gamepad? :confused:

Well I haven't install much game to try the controller, since my PC only finished couple days ago. So I only could try it with The Witcher 2. And especially the arm wrestling mini game is pretty difficult with mouse, so I use the controller.

Vyk
10-31-2014, 01:54 AM
I haven't really played the game much. I know it was designed with gamepads in mind, and it was pretty well ported to a console because of it. I tried it with a gamepad and the camera was soooo touchy and wonky compared to the mouse. And honestly some of their button choices leave a lot to be desired

DanielCLFFF13
10-31-2014, 03:02 AM
I haven't really played the game much. I know it was designed with gamepads in mind, and it was pretty well ported to a console because of it. I tried it with a gamepad and the camera was soooo touchy and wonky compared to the mouse. And honestly some of their button choices leave a lot to be desired

Compare to Watch Dogs, The Witcher 2 is better, I meant in camera sensitivity and mouse sensitivity.
In The Witcher 2 both in battle control and movement are fine with mouse or controller. It's just because the arm wrestling mini game is slightly better in controller. If I use mouse, the indicator always slide to quickly.
In Watch Dogs when try to choose the skill in skill tree or whenever mouse indicator shows up, the mouse sensitivity is too high, so the mouse indicator always slide to quickly. My mouse always slides away (is this the right word?) from the selected skill. In controller I just need to use left or right and up and done.
Maybe it's because I use wireless mouse.
But in Dota 2 it works out just fine.

Vyk
10-31-2014, 04:12 PM
Interesting. I played through 90% of Watch Dogs on PC with a gamepad and never noticed any fidgetting with the camera or anything. Though I have an AMD computer, and that game was optimized with that in mind. I don't know for sure, but considering I immediately encountered problems, I find it safe to assume The Witcher 2 was designed with nVidia in mind instead. I usually have problems with lower budget games that didn't have AMD in mind. I played even less with Mouse and Keyboard of that game, and I think I still had problems with lagging and sensitivity and stuff. I had my Catalyst Control Center attempt to optimize it for me, but I haven't tested to see if it worked yet. I may have to just get it for console since it's super cheap that way these days

Edit: Oops. I was thinking of Sleeping Dogs. Not Watch Dogs. I haven't played Watch Dogs :(

escobert
11-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I just use the wired 360 controller since it's plug and play. But, I hardly ever use it.

DanielCLFFF13
11-01-2014, 07:47 PM
Interesting. I played through 90% of Watch Dogs on PC with a gamepad and never noticed any fidgetting with the camera or anything. Though I have an AMD computer, and that game was optimized with that in mind. I don't know for sure, but considering I immediately encountered problems, I find it safe to assume The Witcher 2 was designed with nVidia in mind instead. I usually have problems with lower budget games that didn't have AMD in mind. I played even less with Mouse and Keyboard of that game, and I think I still had problems with lagging and sensitivity and stuff. I had my Catalyst Control Center attempt to optimize it for me, but I haven't tested to see if it worked yet. I may have to just get it for console since it's super cheap that way these days

Edit: Oops. I was thinking of Sleeping Dogs. Not Watch Dogs. I haven't played Watch Dogs :(

For Sleeping Dogs I use mouse and keyboard, haven't tried it with controller, maybe I should install it again. I haven't played it in while, so I kinda forgot how the camera and mouse sensitivity. But I think it works out just fine with the past GPU I used, other than graphic which I need to set low for it to work, if I recall it right. I was using NVIDIA GT 430 series, but with my current GPU I think it would work just fine.

For the The Witcher 2, I haven't experience any issues except for the arm wrestling mini game. I don't know about the lagging issues, since I only started couple days ago. Haven't experience any perfomance issues. But I think I'll see some lagging issues.

You should play Watch Dogs :) the graphic is amazing and the gameplay is pretty good too. But I experience some lagging issues or maybe it because I haven't install the latest driver for my GPU. I use mouse and keyboard for Watch Dogs because I'm not used to controller for driving kind of game.

I just use the wired 360 controller since it's plug and play. But, I hardly ever use it.

I like to use the wired ones, but I asked the seller about it they say wired Xbox 360 controller didn't come with the driver installer for Windows. So I bought the wireless ones. One of the downside (is this the right word?) of wireless Xbox 360 controller is that I need to buy and change the battery once it out.

The reason for me to buy the Xbox 360 controller, it just because I want to play Final Fantasy XIII PC.