PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Food

noxious.sunshine
10-15-2014, 03:37 AM
I've probably made this thread before...

Mexican is one of my ultimate favorite cuisines.

Tacos, taquitos, enchiladas, caldo de res, elotes (Mexican style corn), ceviche and shrimp cocktail and grilled cactus... And of course rice and beans.. Omg . .. Gimme it all.

I love making different salsas- toasting up some dried chiles and roasting tomatoes or tortillas and garlic and onion and jalepeno until their skins are blackened, peel them, And blending up in a blender before "re-frying" in a skillet to reduce it all..

I made basic chicken tacos last night, but with my Pico de gallo, I added chopped cucumber.. Soooo good.

I want to make tacos al pastor soon.. And tamales with chicken and salsa Verde.. nom nom.

Talk about Mexican food!

Shorty
10-15-2014, 05:45 AM
Chimichangas are my favorite things ever and ultimate go-to comfort food.

Miriel
10-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Tacos are life.

Carne asada, corn tortilla, some onion and a spicy spicy hot sauce. Yuuuum. I'm also a huge fan of chicken sopes. And I know it's not super authentic mexican but I loooove nachos. Nachos nachos nachos!

noxious.sunshine
10-15-2014, 02:20 PM
Carne asada.. <333

Spicy spicy salsa is a must. I love the avocado tomatillo salsa they have at taquerias omg.

I'm trying to perfect my corn tortilla making skills but so far.. No dice. I make dopes a lot tho cuz I have a big bag of masa in my cabinet.

metagloria
10-15-2014, 02:22 PM
Mexican food? Put it in my mouth.

It's definitely the wife's and my favorite cuisine. Best Mexican place we've ever been was actually in Honolulu.

My wife has a self-invented recipe called chicken enchilasagna, which is, as you might intuit, a cross between echiladas and lasagna. You just layer enchilada ingredients – meat, sauce, onions, peppers, cheese, beans, whatever else you like – between layers of soft tortillas and bake/crock-pot. It's divine.

Night Fury
10-15-2014, 02:48 PM
I like mexican food. I got to eat lots of good stuff when I was over in Mexico. I think my favourite is a pulled beef burrito though, there's an amazing little burrito bar in newcastle called Zapatista, I took BoB and smittenkitten, and also Pheesh when he visited. They do amazing burritos!

noxious.sunshine
10-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Mexican food? Put it in my mouth.

It's definitely the wife's and my favorite cuisine. Best Mexican place we've ever been was actually in Honolulu.

My wife has a self-invented recipe called chicken enchilasagna, which is, as you might intuit, a cross between echiladas and lasagna. You just layer enchilada ingredients – meat, sauce, onions, peppers, cheese, beans, whatever else you like – between layers of soft tortillas and bake/crock-pot. It's divine.

Haha they do that in Texas - stacked enchiladas. They sometimes put an egg on top before serving

Shiny
10-15-2014, 09:01 PM
Grilled cactus? Hmmm I have to try that. The only reason for me to go to Texas is the Mexican food and I can probably get just as good Mexican cuisine in California without the racism and guns.

Colonel Angus
10-15-2014, 10:09 PM
Where I'm @ there are Mexican restaurants all over the place. Places like Taco Bell are actually a little hard to find, as you can get the good stuff almost anywhere & usually cheap.

chionos
10-15-2014, 11:13 PM
What I like about Mexican food: Tomatoes, chiles, tortillas, rice, sombreros, honky-tonk en espanol, and salsa (which is redundant, I know, as it is mainly tomatoes and chiles, which were already covered, but I still thought it was worth a mention).

sharkythesharkdogg
10-16-2014, 05:03 PM
I really enjoy Mexican/Mesoamerican food. My favorite thing is smoked beef and/or chicken tamales.

I love the breading, and I love how they're cooked in the leaf wrapping. I can't ever seem to find a restaurant that serves them though. :(

I'll have to learn to make them.

Pumpkin
10-16-2014, 05:11 PM
Oh we found this amazing restaurant near here that serves the best chicken. I forget what the dish is called but it was excellent. I'm also a huge nacho and taco fan

noxious.sunshine
10-16-2014, 07:06 PM
I really enjoy Mexican/Mesoamerican food. My favorite thing is smoked beef and/or chicken tamales.

I love the breading, and I love how they're cooked in the leaf wrapping. I can't ever seem to find a restaurant that serves them though. :(

It's rare that typical Mexican place make their tamales wrapped in plantain leaves.. You'll have to find someone who makes them like out of their home and sells them.

Making tamales is tricky but it's not too hard. The biggest thing is getting the dough right. And it can be really tedious if Just one or two people are assembling them. Especially if you make a ton of them at once.

Colonel Angus
10-17-2014, 12:53 AM

It's rare that typical Mexican place make their tamales wrapped in plantain leaves.. You'll have to find someone who makes them like out of their home and sells them.

Making tamales is tricky but it's not too hard. The biggest thing is getting the dough right. And it can be really tedious if Just one or two people are assembling them. Especially if you make a ton of them at once.
I think it depends what area you live. Around here, there are supermarkets that have the tamales wraped in husks a la homemade ones. A lot of the better Mexican Restaurants will also have them like that. From hot dog stands you get the Tom-Tom types that are wrapped in paper.

noxious.sunshine
10-17-2014, 02:18 AM
There's dried corn husks and then there's plantain leaves for wrapping a tamales in.. Typically, corn husks are used. But I assume he's asking about Plantain leaves. Which aren't used as commonly in commercial places.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-17-2014, 04:23 PM
I've had both, but I was referring to plantains.

I like both, and can find neither.

I don't want to learn to make them, I'm too busy being lazy and whiny about it. :mad2:

I guess I'll have to learn.

Colonel Angus
10-17-2014, 05:18 PM
I've never seen the ones w/ plantain leaves. After researching, the Oaxacans use banana/plantain leaves for their tamales, as do Central Americans. It's probably just a regional difference.

noxious.sunshine
10-17-2014, 05:23 PM
http://www.mexicoinmykitchen.com

That's probably my fav Mexican food blog.. There's a couple of recipes for tamales- neither with plantain leaves.. But all of the instructions and the recipes for different salsas to put in.

Make shion learn for you lolol

black orb
11-10-2014, 07:32 PM
>>> Not exactly food but I dig mezcal and tequila..:luca: