PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Game System of Generation 7?

Ayen
10-15-2014, 05:19 AM
Now that Generation 7 is behind us, for the most part, which system was your favorite?

Poll is multi-choice because I'm such a nice person.

The PS3, Xbox 360, and Nintendo DS are my favorites.

Skyblade
10-15-2014, 09:04 AM
Wow, this competition isn't even fair. The PC wins due to the fact that it can run games going all the way back to the DOS era, and can emulate every classical system out there, so it's library utterly crushes everything else. Even cutting off to just releases within the generation time, that includes the rise of GOG.com and DOSBOX.

Ignoring the PC then, for the sake of fairness, I have to go with the DS.

Quindiana Jones
10-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Yeah, the PC being there is just cruel. xD

I went 360 and DS. I had a 360 for a very long time and have some very good memories there. Just got a PS3 and while it's good (FFIX woooop!), it's yet to have the same impact.

Vermachtnis
10-15-2014, 02:11 PM
The DS by far. It has the best version of Chrono Trigger. And HeartGold.

Bolivar
10-15-2014, 02:59 PM
Wow, this competition isn't even fair. The PC wins due to the fact that it can run games going all the way back to the DOS era, and can emulate every classical system out there, so it's library utterly crushes everything else. Even cutting off to just releases within the generation time, that includes the rise of GOG.com and DOSBOX.

Alot of those games have compatibility issues with newer operating systems and counting emulation renders the debate meaningless; consoles can be modded to run emulators as well. As many thousands of hours I've spent across Counter-Strike and Dota, I'll take the PS1 + PS2 library over my PC games any day of the week.

I swear, I can never tell when it's okay for us to count legacy titles in these threads.

I stuck with the PS3 because Sony did what gamers so often clamor for: invest in new IP. It resulted in the two universally-rated best games of the generation (The Last of Us and Uncharted 2), others that were incredibly experimental and ambitious (Heavy Rain and Little Big Planet), and more that were just plain fun (Infamous and Motorstorm). Every "Top 360 Games" list I've seen is dominated by games that are also on PS3. And last generation is the first time I did not buy a Nintendo system as my second console. I probably spent the most time between the DS and PSP but the former's library is far too derivative to be in the running while the latter never differentiated itself enough with its own identity.

NeoCracker
10-15-2014, 03:31 PM
PS3 for me. A fantastic run of Atelier titles and Disgaea 3 and for. Some Great triple 8 goodness in Infamous as well. Let us not forget Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls, a couple of the most unique Big Budget titles.

DS was a strong competitor though, with things like the Devil Survivor Titles.

PC isn't really Gen VII, so I assume you mean the titles released for PC in that time frame.

Of course, even if not, I could just never get into the PC exclusives, so even including all of PC gaming? Eh. A handful of titles I enjoy, like Septerra Core, isn't enough to win it out. (Of course if you count emulation, PC would win for me hands down. :p)

Pumpkin
10-15-2014, 05:23 PM
PS3

Psychotic
10-15-2014, 05:42 PM
I have a PS3 and an Xbox 360 and for me, 360, hands down. Superb console. Halo 3 was the best FPS and Gears of War 2 was the best TPS of this generation.

Not interested in handheld gaming unless we can say the iPhone. :D

Ayen
10-15-2014, 06:28 PM
>includes PC so PC gamers don't complain
>gets complaints that the PC is in there

That's it, I quit. Goodnight. *Jeopardy music plays me off*

DMKA
10-16-2014, 12:20 AM
By far I got the most fun, entertainment, and overall usage out of my PS3. Like 95% of all the video games I've played in the last seven years has been on my PS3. So that would have to be my favorite.

Actually, come to think of it, the vast majority of media I've consumed over that time was via my PS3. I still use it to watch most movies/tv shows, as it makes for a superior media center to both the Wii U and the PS4 and my cable provider at the moment.

Slothy
10-16-2014, 12:36 AM
I have a PS3 and an Xbox 360 and for me, 360, hands down. Superb console. Halo 3 was the best FPS and Gears of War 2 was the best TPS of this generation.

You're so cute when you're wrong. :love:

Colonel Angus
10-16-2014, 01:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/MiXaeFb.jpg

Ayen
10-16-2014, 01:14 AM
http://i.imgur.com/MiXaeFb.jpg

I was wondering when someone would.

Wolf Kanno
10-16-2014, 04:14 AM
Barring PC since it's kind of unfair in this discussion, I will probably say the DS overall was my favorite and the one that I spent the most time on. The World Ends With You, Devil Survivor, the FF remakes, Phoenix Wright, SMT: Strange Journey, a chance to finally play DQV without importing or emulating, KH:358/2, FFTA2 not to mention still playing all my great GBA titles on it, it was by far my favorite system.

In second place is a tie between the PS3 and Wii, the PS3 had a strong library of good game though very few really grabbed a hold of me like some titles, whereas the Wii had some of my favorite games this last generation which happened to be few a bit few and far between for my taste. The PSP was the last for the systems I owned, I loved the games I had for it, I just wish 90% of them weren't ports of older games from better systems. The PSP, for me, just couldn't really stand on its own merits and I probably spent more time playing old PS1 games on it than actual games designed for it. Still happy it gave me a chance to finally play Persona 2 Innocent Sin without emulating/importing so there is that.

My interest in the 360 only extended to Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, both of which I have accepted I will probably never play anytime soon cause I simply can't justify a system for two games. So I never bothered with it.

Del Murder
10-16-2014, 06:31 AM
PS3 was my console of choice. As has been mentioned it has the vastly superior exclusives over Xbox. Uncharted, MGS4, Last of Us, and God of War would have been enough to sell me the damn thing right there.

But my choice in the poll was Nintendo DS. I played the smurf out of that thing and I took it everywhere.

Psychotic
10-16-2014, 06:48 AM

You're so cute when you're wrong. :love:You have never played either of those games, so :greenie:

Bright Shield
10-18-2014, 05:36 AM
If you count emulators, then the PC owns all of them combined.

If not, easily the DS.

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2014, 05:35 AM
The games listed here as reasons the PS3 kicks ass are all games that I either really don't like or just don't particularly care about. xD

Ayen
10-25-2014, 11:37 AM
PC isn't really Gen VII, so I assume you mean the titles released for PC in that time frame.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

MoogleSky
11-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Might be biased, but PS3 without a doubt. It's still chugging along, spitting out those JRPGs that I love dearly and that's the main reason why I stick with PlayStation consoles: for their exclusives. Though I did purchase a 3DS late last year as a Christmas gift to myself, but have barely touched it since :\

Polnareff
11-15-2014, 01:40 PM
PS3. Waaaay more exclusive games, even now.

I never saw the big deal about PC. No JRPGs, racing games, or even fighting games (for the most part) go to it. Not to mention, all the consoles last generation had many games that PC didn't.

Slothy
11-15-2014, 01:55 PM

You're so cute when you're wrong. :love:You have never played either of those games, so :greenie:

Not sure what gave you that idea.

Mirage
11-15-2014, 03:50 PM
You should divide up "PC" into generations too if you're to include it. How? That's difficult, I would go by DX-versions, even if that's not entirely accurate.

Sephiroth
11-15-2014, 04:07 PM
PSIII.

It has:

Final Fantasy
Nier
Atelier
Bayonetta
Beyond Two Souls
Heavy Rain
Ni no Kuni
The Last of Us
Tomb Raider
Darksiders
Silent Hill
Catherine
Rune Factory
Star Ocean
and software that most viruses are not made for to destroy

Mirage
11-15-2014, 04:09 PM
who seriously still have virus problems in 2014

Vyk
11-15-2014, 05:58 PM
I adore the PS3's library. But a lot of the cross-platform games I enjoyed were a bit glitchier for the PS3 because it wasn't built enough like a PC. The 360 was, and though Bethesda games were notoriously glitchy regardless. They were less-so on the 360. As well as things like War in the North and Enslaved, a couple of my favorite cross-platform hidden gems, were also extremely glitchier on the PS3. I also hated how the PS3 didn't always let you play co-op games with profiles for both co-op players the way the 360 did. And I like the controller more for the 360. If we're talking about general console hardware and set-up, I'd have choose the 360 hands down. I just feel more comfortable playing it. If we're talking about library, then PS3 no question. I'm just happy to have both available in my household. It's also a lot easier for me to hook up an external hard drive to my 360 and play crap tons of movies and music and stuff. The PS3 isn't quite as friendly with these things

I have a Wii and a DS, but I probably only have about 10 games per system, and none of them completely blew me away. I missed out on all the major releases for both systems and am only now digging into that stuff. Same for the PSP, honestly. I have a couple of Castlevanias for the DS, and Xenoblade for the Wii, but those are the most notable. And all the big ones for the PSP just don't keep my attention long enough. FFT, Jean D'arc, Trails in the Sky, P3P, Crisis Core (as far as ones that I physically own). They're alright games, but I didn't play any of them for more than a few hours before losing interest. The pacing was usually pretty off for me. The tactics games had too much battle/plot going on continuously, like every strategy game, and the other games sadly seemed to have too much down time. Never a good balance. I sincerely wish they hadn't nerfed the Valkyria Chronicles series on the PSP. I didn't want to play as generic teenage anime tropes in high school. I loved the first game, and for a JRPG with no overworld or really any NPCs to interact with, it wasn't just strictly battle after battle with only major plot points in cut-scenes. There were a LOT of character building scenes that added to the pacing and build up and love of the characters and world. It was pretty much just right. And I think if Fire Emblem Awakening had a little more of that, I probably wouldn't keep taking breaks from it. I always thought my problem with SRPGs were the lack of towns and real overworld like Shining Force (the only real SRPG series I can fully tolerate [and love]). But Valkyria seemed to break that mold. I can't get enough of that game, and Emblem should be the same, so I'm thinking that's it. I just want more of the characters

But enough of that rant. If I could get the PS3's guts into my 360 or get an adapter to let me use my 360 controller on my PS3, I think I'd be happy. As it stands, I really do need both consoles for their respective purposes

escobert
11-15-2014, 06:33 PM
PS3. Waaaay more exclusive games, even now.

I never saw the big deal about PC. No JRPGs, racing games, or even fighting games (for the most part) go to it. Not to mention, all the consoles last generation had many games that PC didn't.
Because PCs are more Multiplayer and FP games. Now that they're making console controllers work on PC more and more racing, sports and fighting games are coming over. Drift, Drift 2, The Grid games are all great acing games on PC. NHL and NBA are on PC. Also Mouse Keyboard is 2983209572398759832 times better than a controller any day imo. I can't do anything with analog sticks. I just stare at the sky or ground. -_-

Alos DayZ and Civ are the greatest games ever made ;)

Mirage
11-15-2014, 06:37 PM
All first/third person shooters (or whatever other games where you aim a crosshair) are better on PC. PC is also almost the only place you find serious strategy games, and MMOs. For other games, I prefer to use my consoles, however.

Vyk
11-15-2014, 06:42 PM
My wrist goes numb and arms hurt from laying them on the desk to play for extended hours of PC. I hate it. It's so much better to have a controller relaxed in my lap. Most PC games I play, are controller compatible. But that's probably due to my desk being too high for my seating arrangement. I've debated on getting a wireless keyboard to set on my lap or something. But I also hate WASD. People hate how clunky analog is to look around. I hate how clunky WASD is to walk around. I actually enjoy being able to move the analog stick slightly, and my character moves slightly. I don't like only having two walking speeds, and having to hold shift to switch between them

Slothy
11-15-2014, 06:46 PM
who seriously still have virus problems in 2014

Mac users. But they don't know it because most don't have any anti-virus software.

Pumpkin
11-15-2014, 06:53 PM
My wrist goes numb and arms hurt from laying them on the desk to play for extended hours of PC. I hate it. It's so much better to have a controller relaxed in my lap. Most PC games I play, are controller compatible. But that's probably due to my desk being too high for my seating arrangement. I've debated on getting a wireless keyboard to set on my lap or something. But I also hate WASD. People hate how clunky analog is to look around. I hate how clunky WASD is to walk around. I actually enjoy being able to move the analog stick slightly, and my character moves slightly. I don't like only having two walking speeds, and having to hold shift to switch between them

I also dislike gaming on le computer. Consoles for me

escobert
11-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't want to play a platformer or those type of games on a keyboard. Not that I ever play them anyways :p Or multiplayer games like Super Smash bros ect. I like how DayZ has it set so my natural movement is a jog. I can double tap w for sprint and hold shit to walk or move slowly if crouched or prone. I;m so used to the keyboard that it feels very natural to use shift, ctrl, tab and capslock for coms and running/walking. Also DayZ just has so many damn buttons that it would be a pain mapping a controller out. I've tried in the mod. I gave up after mapping for flying and driving.

I exclusively play PC games so my set up is very comfortable. Although I could use a new desk chair.