PDA

View Full Version : So I'm giving Chrono Cross another try

Pumpkin
10-16-2014, 05:43 AM
I had only ever played to that beach thing part very early in the game because the battles were just... ahem anyways

So I'm trying again and giving it a fair shot. I got sharky the Chrono Cross strategy guide for his birthday (he opened it early, he has another present coming) because it is one of his favourite games and he collects strategy guides. Yay me!

So we decided it might be fun to play it together. I'll post up my thoughts in this thread

1. I'm getting used to the battle style. I'm still not a fan, but I can endure it now since I actually found the dude who gave me a semi useful explanation
1.1. Speaking of that, he knocked me out and kept explaining things as I was knocked out
1.2. I still maintain that it is an overly complex battle system. There's like 7 pages of explanation in the walkthrough. That is too much. Some people might love that but it is not for shion

2. I got to say no to Kid which made me very happy. Got Leena in the party. I do like how she's 16 and talks like she's 60. "Kids these days" "Remember when we were young?" "GET OFF MY LAWN YOU RASCALS!!!"
Okay maybe I made that last one up

3. I like the doggie. I was sad when she got punted off a cliff

4. The story is interesting. I enjoy the game when there is no playing and just story stuffs

5. The guide told me not to give all of the same colour elements to one character (meaning all blue for x character, all yellow for y character, yada yada) because it makes them unbalanced, but that's part of who I am so they'll have to deal :colbert:

6. I was so happy when I found out I could change the dialogue box

7. Nowhere did it mention pressing square to give people things. I had to figure that out after yelling at a child to take the stupid scale thing for like 20 minutes

8. Speaking of which, mass genocide on lizard-chickens for the sake of jewelry is not cool. Cool kids don't do that

9. Got the Mojo thing. Not in my party currently

So yep, Chrono Cross :monster:

VeloZer0
10-16-2014, 07:07 AM
I actually really liked the battle system, but then again I really enjoy juggling numbers. I don't get why people knock on it for being complicated.

1) Attacks and Magic cost action points
2) When other character members attack or use magic you gain action points
3) The last three elements are recorded on the battlefield and affect the elemental strength of any new elemental attacks used.

Now, if you don't like it because it isn't dynamic enough that is another thing.

I Took the Red Pill
10-16-2014, 11:25 AM
There's a bar or inn or something in the home village in which there is a barrel in the corner. If you press X on it, it says something like "No response. It's just a barrel." Keep mashing X on it for a pleasant surprise. There are a lot of cool little things like that throughout the game.

Glad to see people give the game another chance, it's my favorite of all time and the reason I started posting here.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-16-2014, 12:52 PM
Observations from the outside.

Karsh is still a Diva. Solt and Peppor are still tactical geniuses. I all still think their innate element colors should have been black and white.

We also stole a bird egg from a mother bird, and shion wanted to know "why it was acting so crazy." So that's one dead mother lizard and all her babies, and a bird family destroyed.

Shion hates Kid.

It'll be fun to play the game again!

Pumpkin
10-16-2014, 05:01 PM
I actually really liked the battle system, but then again I really enjoy juggling numbers. I don't get why people knock on it for being complicated.

3) The last three elements are recorded on the battlefield and affect the elemental strength of any new elemental attacks used.

Now, if you don't like it because it isn't dynamic enough that is another thing.

I'm glad you enjoy it, but it just doesn't work with my brain for some reason. I'm sure some people enjoy it BECAUSE its more than just, select action from menu, but it doesn't do it for me :P

Freya
10-16-2014, 05:06 PM
I need to also give this game another chance but there are so many obtainable characters, I just dunno which one to get. I use to like trying to get the straw man thing.

metagloria
10-16-2014, 05:47 PM
This game is so good!!!! Very excited you're giving it a full chance.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-16-2014, 07:11 PM

I'm glad you enjoy it, but it just doesn't work with my brain for some reason. I'm sure some people enjoy it BECAUSE its more than just, select action from menu, but it doesn't do it for me :P

I'm not saying it will suddenly become your favorite battle system, but I still think after some more playing it will begin to make more sense and not feel so forced.

It actually does work well once you get a chance to work with it a while. Although I have to admit that it was had to change the entire field to whatever element you want during a boss battle.

Colonel Angus
10-17-2014, 12:25 AM
Glad you're giving it another chance, shion. You know, you could go the whole game w/o getting Kid.

when you have the chance to "save her" just say no (in fact, this is the only way to get Glenn & avoid the obnoxious KorCHA). There's still an opportunity to get her afterwards if you don't "save her", but I think you can avoid that. But even if you get her in your party, it's not as if you have to play her.

Pumpkin
10-17-2014, 03:17 AM
I don't want to save her but to get one of the characters I want, according to the guide, I have to :colbert:

Colonel Angus
10-17-2014, 04:11 AM
Mel or Razzly?

Pumpkin
10-17-2014, 04:18 AM
The fairy one I think

Colonel Angus
10-17-2014, 04:29 AM
That's Razzly.When you get her, don't have her in your party in the fight against the Hydra. This causes something sad to happen, but it has to happen to get her Lvl. 7 tech.

Pumpkin
10-17-2014, 04:30 AM
Okay? Thanky

I Took the Red Pill
10-17-2014, 04:46 AM
Since the game doesn't get much love 'round here, can we start general CC discussion?

Favorite party member? For me, probably either Radius or Glenn

Most useless character in the game?

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090519212417/chrono/images/1/1f/Poshul.jpg

Also, for those who have completed the game (or at least through Viper Mansion), which is your favorite of the 3 different paths in? For me it's probably busting right through the front gate with Pierre.

Pumpkin
10-17-2014, 04:51 AM
I like Poshul ;___;

I Took the Red Pill
10-17-2014, 04:54 AM
Haha that's totally OK though, that's the great thing about the game. Everyone's got their own favorite cast of characters. Don't let my h8 for Poshul bring you down.

VeloZer0
10-17-2014, 07:09 AM
I liked Nikki's path, though I like Guile better the Shadow Forrest/Underground cave felt like the 'proper' way to do it.

As for favorite, I like Glenn but that is kind of cheating. Outside of him (curse my nice guy instincts the first time I played the game) it was Karsh and Kid. I like Karsh much better as a party member, but I also have a fondness for central storyline characters.

metagloria
10-17-2014, 02:46 PM
I love Glenn and Karsh, but never used them at the same time because I always tried to have one of each element-pair. The third with Serge and Glenn usually ends up being... Fargo, because you have to use him anyway to snag the plates from the dragons.

Pumpkin
10-18-2014, 02:56 AM
Tonight we went to Termina. I chose the Nikki path. The drawing the monsters to the other monster was a bit frustrating but NOWHERE NEAR TO THE LEVEL VIPOR MANOR HAS BEEN

AND I'M NOT EVEN INSIDE YET

ARGHG%^$^&%&*%$^&

Pumpkin
10-20-2014, 05:59 PM
Okay so I just did the Hydra Marshes thing. I choose to rescue Kid because Razzly.

The boss fights are getting infuriating. They were pretty easy up until the marshes. They kept whooping my butt there. Now I just got whats his name who says CHA a lot and wants to marry Kid.

I am sad because I want to use NeoFio and Razzly and Leena but I can't ;____;

Stupid Serge

Colonel Angus
10-20-2014, 11:50 PM
New Game + you get the Relief Charm from the get-go. You can use that to replace Serge w/ any of the characters you had already accumulated.

Also, KorCHA is a butt.

Forsaken Lover
10-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Chrono Cross....I think someone else made a thread about that game recently....

Hm....

Kid is the best.
And then Karsh.

Also WHY NO TALK ABOUT THE SOUNDTRACK OF THE GODS!
zMEb6XXXi08

You know you chose to play the right game when you hear this.

Wolf Kanno
10-21-2014, 04:41 AM
Okay so I just did the Hydra Marshes thing. I choose to rescue Kid because Razzly.

The boss fights are getting infuriating. They were pretty easy up until the marshes. They kept whooping my butt there. Now I just got whats his name who says CHA a lot and wants to marry Kid.

Stupid Serge

They did a good job making sure you could never complete the game in one playthrough. ;)

I Took the Red Pill
10-21-2014, 05:14 AM
iirc they also give you the "fast-forward battles" function in New Game+, which would've been nice as I sat watching the Fireball animation for the billionth time during playthrough #1.

Mercen-X
10-21-2014, 06:19 AM
Love:
Serge (would love him more if he spoke and the graphics could do justice to his original representation)
Kid (don't really fully grasp how old she is, so don't know if it's wrong to think she's sexy... but she is)
Lynx (love animal-people)
Mojo (reminds me of Scarecrow)
Guile (I don't care if he's Magus or not, he's awesome)
Sprigg (only because she can become Slash)
Glenn (I can finally use the Einlanzer... times two!)
Nikki (I love being able to play a rock star)
Harle (female harlequins are so sexy, just like French maids)
Norris (I created a character named Hauser for my own fiction who is based off of Norris)
Radius (it's Roshi!)
Pierre (Is he a Musketeer? Where's his gun?)
Greco (wrestler characters are rare)
Skelly (I love skeleton characters)
Grobyc (I love robot characters)
Karsh (was he the samurai character?)
Viper (I love pirate characters)
Zoah (I love masked characters)
Orcha's Hell's Cook form (he is SO awesome)
Garai (he's effing HUGE)
Turnip (he may not be Frog, but he's just so adorable)
Orlha (sailor someone?)
Steena (she gotz skillz)
Dario (I just wish could've played as him)
The Shakers (some may find them annoying, but I just wished they could have had a chance to shine)
The Radical Dreamer versions of Kid and Serge
Serge's weapons
The Masamune/Mastermune (obviously)
The Einlanzer (obviously)

Dislike:
Kid's accent (makes me think of the Artful Dodger: another cool character with an annoying voice)
Fargo (I dislike his name, mostly, but he also makes me think of Burt Reynolds, who I am not fond of)
Luccia (she's not Lucca)
Korcha (wrong word is dislike... I HATE Korcha)
Poshul (he's not Red XIII. I really don't want a fluffy furball as a battle companion. like fighting alongside a freakin' Tribble)
Orcha never uses his Hell's Cook form when in your party (they could've at least had a tech for him to use his cleavers)
Doc (I'm not fond of a Hippie as a doctor)
Guile's original name (Alf) could have been Alfard (a reference to a celestial body, the brightest near constellation Hydra)
The process of making Mastermune (and the name... I mean, come on, big sister Dora/Doreen, whatever? Seriously? Shouldn't that have been Masdormune? Stupid...)

Forsaken Lover
10-21-2014, 09:46 AM
Kid's like 15 or 16. She's legal. And with that miniminiskirt she has on, who couldn't find her sexy.

I Took the Red Pill
10-21-2014, 11:12 AM
Fargo (I dislike his name, mostly, but he also makes me think of Burt Reynolds, who I am not fond of)Quote of the year right here holy trout

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/cc/images/faces/fargof.gifhttp://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/cc/images/faces/fargof.gifhttp://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/cc/images/faces/fargof.gifhttp://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/cc/images/faces/fargof.gifhttp://shrines.rpgclassics.com/psx/cc/images/faces/fargof.gif

Pumpkin
10-21-2014, 02:23 PM

Stupid Serge

They did a good job making sure you could never complete the game in one playthrough. ;)

I really doubt I'm ever going to play this again after finishing it

metagloria
10-21-2014, 03:35 PM

Stupid Serge

I really doubt I'm ever going to play this again after finishing it
That's a mistake. You should at least do one NG+ because of all the super cool features. You can beat the entire story in another 10 hours or so, or you can end it early.

Pumpkin
10-21-2014, 04:03 PM
I'll make you a deal. If the thing in the spoiler appears anywhere in the game, I will play the New Game+

aanqnyJy-JU

Forsaken Lover
10-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Yes, Gato is in Chrono Cross.

Pumpkin
10-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Same song?

Forsaken Lover
10-21-2014, 06:51 PM
Um, no, no song. Gato's Theme is amazing but it wouldn't really fit when you meet him.

Pumpkin
10-21-2014, 06:56 PM
:|

:|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!