PDA

View Full Version : xvidb.com slows me down a lot

Mirage
10-17-2014, 12:58 AM
Often times, page loads are stalled for a long time while trying to connect to this site, even the search result pages are affected, and I don't even know what you need to contact that site for at all when displaying search results.

Sometimes, I can be waiting for that domain for like 20 seconds before the rest of the forums load. Once xvidb.com is done with, the rest of the forum loading is super fast, like it's done within a second.

On one of my other computers, I just used adblockplus to block the entire domain, so i had forgotten about the issue all together. I got back on my laptop again today, and apparently the problem is still alive, even weeks later.

Just a heads up, I guess. If you can't do anything with it I guess I'll just add a blocking rule here as well.

What is that site even used for on this forum?

Rantz
10-17-2014, 06:17 PM
It's for a feature that's supposed to load informative tooltips when you use item names and the like. I don't frequent the XIV forum so I'm not sure, but I had a look through some threads and didn't see it in effect a single time, so I disabled it as it seems a little unnecessary. I haven't noticed any slowdown from that domain, but if you have I'm sure other people do too.

If the tooltips do get used and people like them, we can add them back but host the main files locally so it only loads images for the actual tooltips externally.

Mirage
10-18-2014, 04:26 PM
Oh yeah, that thing. I've seen it here and there and it's a neat feature. I am however still puzzled as to why the forums need to contact that site when viewing pages that do not contain any FFXIV items, such as a search result page. Seems a bit superfluous.

Rantz
10-18-2014, 04:30 PM
To my knowledge it doesn't. It was just linked that way.

Mirage
10-18-2014, 04:48 PM
well i guess the forums don't access the site,but it seems to tell my browser to do so and then it waits for it and stuff