PDA

View Full Version : I'd Ship it...

Wolf Kanno
10-17-2014, 06:35 AM
For those who don't know what shipping is, you can either read this informative wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_%28fandom%29) or just watch this hilarious AMV below.

CTBqP9JyCi8

So who has shipped some characters togethe? What are your thoughts about shipping in the various fandoms?

Shiny
10-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Occasionally I have shipped a character or two to a friend but I prefer to give them collectibles in person because UPS often ignores the fragile label.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-17-2014, 08:16 AM
Sometimes I think of the "what ifs" of characters coming together. None come to mind right now.

I get annoyed when people make ships that don't make sense even in the best of circumstances, like Light and L from Death Note. That ship makes negative sense. Same goes for a lot of twincest.

There's a difference between a good ship between people who would actually be good together and awkwardly putting them together for your own weird fetish, and I think the latter is where shipping gets its negative stigma from.

Shlup
10-17-2014, 08:33 AM
That video was what they call "baller as fuck." Bailey also enjoyed it.

I pretty much stick to canon relationships... Once in a while I'll go off-canon, but nothing unrealistic. I recently stumbled upon the subreddit for people who ship the sisters from Frozen and there was a thread where they were seriously saying it's totally canon and the writers really honestly meant to subtly hint at incest. WTF.

Night Fury
10-17-2014, 08:36 AM
I ship Quistis and Seifer, if only because their name is Quifer.

Shlup
10-17-2014, 09:00 AM
I find both that ship and that reason to be perfectly reasonable.

Jinx
10-17-2014, 01:36 PM
If we're talking non-canon...

Not really. Generally the characters I "ship" that aren't already together get together eventually. Probably the only couple I can think of is how hard I ship Carson and Mrs. Hughes on Downton Abbey.

Shorty
10-17-2014, 04:56 PM
I don't really ship non-canon. Canon couples are put together for a reason.

Pumpkin
10-17-2014, 05:21 PM
As catchy as that video was, I never really ship couples. When playing a game or watching a show while it is developing, I might speculate over who will get together, but if they don't it pretty much ends there. Or if they do.

Spooniest
10-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Shipping...

And then comes the fun part

..Handling.

*runs away laughing maniacally, clicking heels together*

MJN SEIFER
10-17-2014, 05:57 PM
I've been "shipping" since I was a kid (though obviously I didn't know it had a term). It's such a cute and innocent thing when it's done propperly, as long as we accept that it's our own opinion, and everyone (including the writers of the show) are allowed to "ship" who they want.

don't really ship non-canon. Canon couples are put together for a reason Your opinion, but you kind of backed yourself into a corner with "non-canon", that's exactly the point - non-canon or fanon isn't canon, it's the fan's view. It's the same as not liking a fanfiction because it no longer matches canon. It was never meant to completely match canon.

Oh, and there's another thing I need to add, that several people miss; "shipping" isn't just for romantic couples, it can be for friends or for being so close that you "feel like family" as well. Romantic Shipping just stands out because it's the most well known.

Jinx
10-17-2014, 06:11 PM
There's nothing wrong with not liking fanfiction because it isn't canon. There's nothing wrong with liking it either, but I'd say being put off by the fact that it's not canon is a really legitimate reason to not like it.

Spuuky
10-17-2014, 06:19 PM
I've always utterly loathed this term (and, also, the entire concept; but that's another matter).

And yeah, Shluppy, the Elsanna subreddit is something else, I regrettably discovered it the other day also.

MJN SEIFER
10-17-2014, 06:48 PM
There's nothing wrong with not liking fanfiction because it isn't canon. There's nothing wrong with liking it either, but I'd say being put off by the fact that it's not canon is a really legitimate reason to not like it. I understand that not everyone like's fanfiction, but you're right to say it's not a legit reason to not like it because it's "not canon". Ironically, the reverse also happens - I have seen people moan about what canon has done because it "ruins" a fanfiction for them (canon and fanon are seperate worlds, they may crossover, but they do not have to obey eachother).

I've always utterly loathed this term. Why, if you don't mind me asking?

Spuuky
10-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Largely because "shipping" is already an actual word with an actual unrelated meaning, and also because you're taking the least linguistically relevant part of the word the presumed longform (relationshipping) and using that as the new word rather than the actual important part.

MJN SEIFER
10-17-2014, 07:47 PM
Largely because "shipping" is already an actual word with an actual unrelated meaning, and also because you're taking the least linguistically relevant part of the word the presumed longform (relationshipping) and using that as the new word rather than the actual important part.
Other words have more than one meaning, but I guess I see your point.

I still love the term myself though, but I respect your opinion.

Shiny
10-18-2014, 04:44 AM
It should be called relationing but that would terrible. Coupling makes more sense even.

Hannibal_Khan
10-18-2014, 06:52 AM
I'M CONFUSED BY ALL OF THIS!!

MJN SEIFER
10-18-2014, 01:49 PM
It should be called relationing but that would terrible. Coupling makes more sense even.
Coupling would only work with romantic shipping at the end of the day. I get that "two characters" are "a couple of characters", but when I hear couple in that context, I think romantic couple.

Relationing kind of works, but it may make people think of when you pair characters together as "fake family", which is a type of shipping (basically when the characters are so close, they're practically family - father/mother figures, or brother/sister figures).

Spooniest
10-18-2014, 06:23 PM
We have derailed.