PDA

View Full Version : At least I didn't crash the car! Is that not enough?

Shauna
10-20-2014, 03:01 PM
I just sat my driving test for the first time ever today. And I failed, unfortunately. Just in the process of rebooking my test to give it another go in a few weeks time. Next time I will emerge a victorious driver.

How about you guys? Do you drive? Did you fail your driving test first time you took it? Or were you a natural behind the wheel of the car?

NOTE: I realise that different countries have different Learner Driver nonsense. Alter/Apply the questions where necessary.

Freya
10-20-2014, 03:39 PM
I have heard of a lot of UKer's having a hard time with their driving test. Is it harder over there?

I was driving at 14 and was officially licensed at 16 with no fails but that's because my life required me to drive. So that's probably the biggest difference. Many places in the US you have to be able to drive or you can't get anywhere. While the UK, you don't have to drive and have more access to public transportation I believe.

Maybe it's just cause of the city driving or... I'm not sure, is it harder over there?

I'm pretty decent at it. Don't tell the boyfriend but I can drift a car really well ;)

Psychotic
10-20-2014, 03:44 PM
I have heard of a lot of UKer's having a hard time with their driving test. Is it harder over there?Yup. Everything else you said is pretty much spot on.

I failed it the first three times. :)

Both me and my instructor think it was because they have quotas each month that they can pass and fail as I don't think I did anything majorly wrong. My fourth test I booked at the start of the month rather than the end, as it had been the last three times, and whaddya know, I passed. I don't even think I did any better that time than any of the other three times, possibly even worse.

blackmage_nuke
10-20-2014, 05:18 PM
Passed it the first time, drove maybe 5 times over the following 3 years.

Ergroilnin
10-20-2014, 05:28 PM
I was quite afraid of driving before I tried it at first, it seemed like there was so much to focus on but it's really become something automatic and easy now. I took my driving licence test year and half ago and I can't imagine not having it anymore.

I passed the first time which was really surprising because everyone else (like 8 people) who took the test that day with same guy failed and I don't honestly think I was that good of a driver. Lucky me I guess!

Though there are some people who definitely should just go and return their licences, especially those idiots in big cars and trucks in the cities with that mindset "I'm big, fuck rules", one almost got me killed today when he blocked me out of my lane without blinking and with another car right behind me so I couldn't just push down the decelerate pedal (I don't know what is it called in English really...), Thankfully in the end I got out of it with only one wheel broken which I just switched for reserve but goddamn it still like 100 euro worth new wheel dead...

These people make me so angry since they don't understand the cars are really a weapon.

Pumpkin
10-20-2014, 05:36 PM
The Ontario system is very long and drawn out so they can make more money. You can go get your G1 (which is a written test) at 16, which allows you to drive only with someone who has had their full G license for 5+ years, plus a whole crap ton of other restrictions like no highway driving, no driving at night, yada yada.

After a year of that, or 9ish month if you went to driver school, you can take your G2 test, which is actual driving except not on the highway, and it removes almost all restrictions except the alcohol limit is 0.

After a year of that and I think for a maximum of 2 years(?) you can get your full G license by taking another drive test, which is highway driving. They MAKE you take it before a certain period of time or you have to start over because that way they can charge you for another test. Because really driving with a G2 is pretty much just as good so why would anyone go for anything else?

I got my G2 but then I moved and it expired and I haven't gotten my license here because of the absurd amount of ID they want that I just don't have and plus now my car is broken

I'm okay with that because I hate driving so much

Scotty_ffgamer
10-20-2014, 05:36 PM
I got my license over the summer this year. I had a crippling fear of driving before, and it still makes me pretty uncomfortable to do. I've mostly gotten over it though.

Anyways, I failed the first test. The instructor even said she hadn't seen that many things go wrong that were outside of my control on a test. A good number of people tried to run out in front of my car (including a person in a wheel chair), a person just standing behind the building in the exact spot I was supposed to parallel park, cars parked just before the stop sign in a turn lane I'm supposed to go in, etc etc. Took the test again two days later and passed it. Good times.

Fox
10-20-2014, 06:06 PM
I passed it first time, but by god was there a lot of pressure! I had finished my first year of University, and I had to have a driver's license before I went home, as I'd already bought a car! Basically, if I didn't pass I wasn't going to be able to get home for the summer, or back to university come September. I'd failed my mock as well (how was I supposed to know speed bumps ALWAYS mean 30mph limit?) so I was pretty nervous.

It didn't help that before I got proper lessons, my dad had tried to teach me how to drive and he was so impatient he terrified me off the road. I had to practise changing gear for a week in a simulator before I'd even go out with the instructor!

Shorty
10-20-2014, 06:22 PM
I passed the test the first time, but I had to take Driver's Ed twice because I failed (to show up to class) the first time.

Slothy
10-20-2014, 09:13 PM
The Ontario system is very long and drawn out so they can make more money. You can go get your G1 (which is a written test) at 16, which allows you to drive only with someone who has had their full G license for 5+ years, plus a whole crap ton of other restrictions like no highway driving, no driving at night, yada yada.

After a year of that, or 9ish month if you went to driver school, you can take your G2 test, which is actual driving except not on the highway, and it removes almost all restrictions except the alcohol limit is 0.

After a year of that and I think for a maximum of 2 years(?) you can get your full G license by taking another drive test, which is highway driving. They MAKE you take it before a certain period of time or you have to start over because that way they can charge you for another test. Because really driving with a G2 is pretty much just as good so why would anyone go for anything else?

Jayzus! You want to know what our system is? You write a test to get licensed yo drive with one other driver. After a year or about 6 months if you take Driver's Ed you take the driving test. Bam! You're done.

What's the driving test? In my case I drove down the street, parallel parked in a hotel parking lot, then drove back. Not even 2km in total. Is it any wonder no one in this province can drive?

Pumpkin
10-20-2014, 09:14 PM
The drive test I took was around the town (which was small). I had to do some turns, do a 3 point turn, parallel park, park on a hill, head back to the parking lot. Wasn't hard really

chionos
10-20-2014, 09:37 PM
My driving test, as far as I can remember (it was 17 fucking years ago) consisted of parallel parking, a three point turn, and lots of turning left. I passed the first time. I'd been driving for a while before the test, so I felt pretty comfortable. I love to drive, especially at night, especially at night in the country. If I were a driving instructor, my primary concern would be whether or not the person seems comfortable behind the wheel. All the myriad rules don't matter a bit one way or the other if the person is too nervous to make good decisions on the fly.

Shiny
10-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Do you drive?
No, but I can. Driving in NYC is expensive and pointless. I'm glad that I don't have to spend money on a car and gas.

Did you fail your driving test first time you took it? Or were you a natural behind the wheel of the car?
I failed it the first time because I hit the cone and I was taking it in a big truck. I'm short I can't see well in trucks without the boost. I failed it the second time because the lady was an asshole, she broke the door and then said the car didn't pass inspection...wtf. She still didn't pay for the door, what a :bou::bou::bou::bou:. The third time I failed was entirely my fault, I was just overly tired and making dumb mistakes. Oddly enough, I did swimmingly on the parallel parking. Fourth time would have been the charm if I didn't stupidly forget to back out after parallel parking right after a perfect park. Then finally the fifth time I passed, I was super nervous because they basically will not let anyone pass if any mistake is made so I was super cautious this time. Most courses aren't courses -- they really take you out on the road in traffic, so this presents a slew of other problems. I pulled through it and the instructor could see I was nervous so he cut me a break. This reminds me that I need to renew my driver's license. Not looking forward to going to the DMV. -_-

If I had taken driver's ed I probably would have passed it in less than five times, but I just didn't have the money at the time. My dad took me out driving and then I took a 2 day fresher with an instructor for $50.

Shauna
10-20-2014, 11:57 PM
What's the driving test? In my case I drove down the street, parallel parked in a hotel parking lot, then drove back. Not even 2km in total. Is it any wonder no one in this province can drive?

Geezo. xD I wish I could sit that test. I'd pass in no time.

My grievous error while driving today was cutting in front of a van that was turning left, while I was turning right. I don't even remember seeing the guy, which is the whole problem summed up. Everything else went swimmingly (except all those times I tried to move away not being in gear. Whoops).

Colonel Angus
10-21-2014, 12:01 AM
I passed the written test twice. First time in High School. I didn't bother to show up to range, as I only needed to pass the written test for school.

The second time was after college & I was still trying to be a writer. I passed the written test, then a few months later my uncle took me to the DMV to take the road test, which I failed miserably. I completely choked. I was terrible.

Never bothered again. :(

Denmark
10-21-2014, 01:15 AM
failed my first test because apparently you're supposed to stop at stop signs, at least when people are looking

#INeedDriving because america is big

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-21-2014, 01:22 AM
failed my first test because apparently you're supposed to stop at stop signs, at least when people are looking

#INeedDriving because america is big

I ran a red light.

Other than that I did swimmingly the first time.
Though I can't parallel park around imaginary cars represented by cones.
I can parallel park around real cars like a boss though.

fire_of_avalon
10-21-2014, 04:17 AM
I am impressed by the number of people who failed the driving.portion the first time. I thought I was a member of a sparsely populated, super secret, super sad club.

Of course none of you so far actually hit another car during your test, soooo.

I just tapped their mirror with my mirror! And shattered it.

Sephex
10-21-2014, 04:26 AM
Failed the first time because the tester got nitpicky, and I barely clipped a curb when I backed out of a parking lot he had me pull in. He was cool about it at the same time and just said try again because everything else I did was fine. Just to be sure, I drove around some more on my learners permit and then passed with no problem...besides one part of the test.

I thought I would fail for sure because some kids who were obstructed from my view ran across the street out of nowhere and a different tester (an older female) got mad at me. I kept a cool head and admitted fault, so I think that won me some points with her.

Psychotic
10-21-2014, 07:56 AM
The fail I'm most sore about happened when there were roadworks. There was a sign saying 20mph because of roadworks and so I followed the rule of "stick to the last sign you saw" until I turned off the road a minute or so later. But apparently this was wrong and I should've sped up to 50mph. WHEN? THERE WERE NO SIGNS! I OBEYED THE SIGN YOU MOTHERsmurfER THAT IS LITERALLY WHAT IT SAYS IN THE LITTLE BOOK YOU GET GOD DAMN YOU

this is the same guy that passed me so I can't hate him too much, but god damn :colbert:

Pheesh
10-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Third time was the charm for me. The first time was bull because he took me to a carpark where the wall of the carpark was literally about 1 foot from the curb, so when I went to reverse park in I was used to having the back of my car hang over the curb by quite a bit and my tow ball hit the wall, which was an automatic fail. The second time I was just a bit careless I guess, I apparently didn't come to a complete stop at a stop sign on two separate occasions.

The third time was do or die because in Western Australia after you pass your practical driving test there's 6 months of waiting in which you're supposed to log extra hours of supervised driving time, and I was about to leave for America for 3 months. So naturally I wanted to go on vacation and have the waiting period dwindle down while I was away, to make the whole thing feel much faster. Anyway, I booked it in for 3 days before I was due to leave and got through it without a single fault, I was pretty stoked.

Jess
10-26-2014, 01:07 AM
3rd time, with only 1 minor.

Don't the majority drive Automatics in the US? Here it's standard to drive a manual.

It must be harder to get a licence here in the UK. Most people I know didn't pass first time. Also, our roads are just ridiculous. Driving in the country, or my own town is great. But city driving? Oh God. Serious road stress/rage!

Colonel Angus
10-26-2014, 01:30 AM
Automatic is pretty standard here. I don't remember the last time I even rode in a vehicle that wasn't.

Shiny
10-26-2014, 01:38 AM
It's now the standard in the US unless you drive a convertible. Both my parents drive and learned with stick so they're hellbent on teaching me manual as well.

Ergroilnin
10-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Driving without the stick is so boring imo, but what I know, I only drove automati once. Here in middle Europe manuals are used the most by far.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-31-2014, 09:36 AM
I took Drivers Ed in school. Passed the driving test at the DMV on the first try.

Parallel parking is super nerve wracking. You're holding up traffic as you try to sandwhich yourself between two super close cars. No thank you.

I'll park in a public parking lot around the block before I parallel park right in front of where I need to be. Will not do it.

Mirage
10-31-2014, 10:01 AM
I passed my theoretical and practical driving tests on my first try. The theoretical test I passed flawlessly, but I made a few mistakes on the practical test. Nothing serious though. Just a few small side roads I didn't notice before it was a bit late.

As others have already mentioned, manual transmissions are standard here. You can take your drivers ed in an automatic car, but then you won't get a license that is valid for manual cars. If you do your driver's ed in a manual, you can drive both manuals and automatics, so it's preferable to just do that.

Personally, I think automatics are more relaxing, but that is sometimes bad for me cause I might start to feel sleepy more easily. Manuals are more engaging and kake driving less boring.

Ayen
10-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Don't drive. Never took the test. Read a manual or something for school, but never went through with it. I'm perfectly content with walking and public transportation.

Shaibana
11-01-2014, 02:48 PM
ive passed the theorie and drivers test in 1x for the car ^^
i remember seeing my nephew at the theorie examen... he was so nervous it was almost funny.

i did fail my motorcycle theorie 1x though, i didnt study (much) becaus i didnt think it could that different from the car theorie

ShunNakamura
11-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I managed to fail the backing up and turn cone portion(or something like that. Hey that was more than a decade ago, my memory ain't that good). How? Well back then I REALLY didn't deal well in social situations or with people I have never met before. Combine the two and well . . . I ended up having a panic attack and blanking out temporary while backing up. Apparently suffering a stranger induced panic attack is worth a fair number of red marks. Or maybe it was swiping that tall cone thing with my side mirror. Hey it isn't like I ran the cone over! Heck it didn't even get knocked over! Whatever happened to no harm, no foul?

Mirage
11-01-2014, 03:16 PM
So to all you guys complaining about the horrible expenses of your country's driving ed:
In Norway, at least 12 lessons (45 minutes each) are required by law, in addition to a long-distance driving lession (takes roughtly 2 hours), and icy conditions lession(1.5 hours or so). There used to be night driving lessons too, but those have been replaced by a much shorter and slightly cheaper quick course now.

The lession for icy conditions is actually pretty fun. You drive on a closed track which is sprayed with some stuff that makes it really slippery, and then you have moving obstacles moved by wires that you have to not hit. Now for the fun part: You're doing this without ABS, traction control or any other electronic assists :p, so it gets pretty wild.

Now, even if only 12 lessons are mandatory, most people need more than that. 15 is common, 20 isn't unheard of. In total, you'll be looking at a total cost of something like 5000 dollars.

Shaibana
11-01-2014, 03:22 PM
lol in Norway i can imagen that 'ice lessons' are needed..
but 5k? thats almost 4000 euro's ..
that double the expenses of the dutch driver!

Sephex
11-04-2014, 06:09 AM
M-more like driving in NOWAY lol

Mirage
11-04-2014, 08:12 AM
wow clever play on words ive never heard that one before

Sephex
11-04-2014, 08:54 AM
wow clever play on words ive never heard that one before

I know. I should copyright the phrase.

Raistlin
11-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Remind me to never get in a car with any of you driving. Bunch of failures here.

I have to drive a lot, but I don't like it. I always get someone else to drive when carpooling for trips or vacations. I never failed any test.

Mirage
11-04-2014, 05:16 PM
Hey now, I'm not all that bad.

Shaibana
11-04-2014, 09:07 PM
me neither !! >:O

MissH
11-05-2014, 05:41 PM
I passed second time just before my 18th birthday. I'd like to think i'm a good driver, I've only ever been in one crash and that wasn't my fault.

Saying that. A few weeks ago I was absolutely exhausted one morning, got into my car to go to work, didn't see my Mum's car behind me and reversed straight into it :-( I caused almost £1000 worth of damage and it was in the garage for repairs for almost 2 weeks:(

Yamaneko
11-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Europeans shouldn't drive. Stick to your socialized public transportation. :)

MoogleSky
11-09-2014, 06:37 PM
Remind me to never get in a car with any of you driving. Bunch of failures here.
Haha, that's the general opinion whenever my friends offer to drive and I know that they've had their license for a shorter period than myself or less experience. Though whenever the opportunity arises where I actually trust one of them enough with my life, I'd be more than willing.

I drive myself to and from school everyday which can range from 1-2 hours every day, or worse, 3 hours. Not going to lie, it is nice knowing there's a vehicle for every family member so we don't have to work around each others' schedules to accommodate.

Værn
11-13-2014, 11:12 PM
Have any of you guys ever considered bribery? I managed to pass my test on the first try :bigsmile:

Shauna
01-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Kerb strikes are evil and I hate everything.

rofl failed again i am the worst driver (I'm not really I mean what self respecting driver cares when they mount the kerb? That's right not a single one especially when doing a reverse park (who even does these irl?!))

Mirage
01-08-2015, 10:51 AM
I reverse park all the time. It's so much easier when you want to leave again :p.

Europeans shouldn't drive. Stick to your socialized public transportation. :)

That doesn't work anymore. The bus lanes are filled with heavily subsidized Teslas!

Shauna
01-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Oh, parallel parking is what I mean. Not like reversing into a parking space in car park.

I maintain that people would avoid doing these and would not care if they mounted the kerb during. :colbert:

Mirage
01-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Oh, well, I didn't parallel park on my driving test either. Which is good, cause I probably would have failed that <,<.

krissy
01-09-2015, 02:56 AM
failed the ontario one the first time around too
merging into highways sucks when there's a giant truck parked on the side of the on ramp and i freaked out

let's not even talk about how many times i had to do the written

y'all might not believe me after saying these things but i'm a pretty good driver

Calliope
01-09-2015, 06:39 AM
I do not drive. When I was a teenager, our household didn't have a car (my mother had a DUI and sold the car to attempt to pay off debts) and we walked and took public transport everywhere. When my mother attempted to teach me to drive, she was always drunk, and it ended with her almost crashing and threatening to kill me in the rain. Fun times! Since then, I have relied on public transport, although if I ever want to get "a real American job", I will have to learn how to drive. Until then, I don't really care too much.

Shiny
01-09-2015, 06:44 AM
Have any of you guys ever considered bribery? I managed to pass my test on the first try :bigsmile:

That worked only when I had a male instructor all the others were crotchety women. The dude was in a good mood when he passed me because he had just won the lotto.

Psychotic
01-09-2015, 08:06 AM
The last time I parallel parked was five and a half years ago. On my driving test.

Pike
01-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Yeah everyone should just avoid parallel parking, it's not worth the trouble.

I never failed my driving test but on the other hand it was literally half my life ago (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/smiley/magical001_zpscb2ec6fc.png) so I don't remember any of the details.

I do remember my drivers' ed teacher showing us this insanely obnoxious music video that was some sort of mega cheesy rap about staying the appropriate distance behind semi trucks. Before he put it on he warned us that he would never forget the tune. He was right.

I also remember that the first time I got behind the wheel of a car in class there was a major snowstorm raging and I had to dodge a herd of deer.

Uhhh yeah other than that I enjoy driving and I do own a car. Paid it off a few years ago. It's a Toyota Corolla so hopefully it lasts another ten years.

Mirage
01-09-2015, 01:40 PM
I hope that by the time I have to parallel park, I will be in a car that can do it for me.

Shorty
01-09-2015, 03:03 PM
I used to have to parallel park four times a day.

Pumpkin
01-09-2015, 04:05 PM
I passed my drivers test but then again the guy giving me the test was my instructor I'd been working with for a few months and he honestly couldn't care less. Although he did actually mark me off points for something so I guess he was paying attention