PDA

View Full Version : I am ashamed of myself

Rowan
10-21-2014, 12:46 AM
Its fairly obvious what my motivations were for posting all of that utter tripe. Fear. Straight out fear of others. Fear of loss of my own identity and sheer ignorance. I dont blame anyone of the people involved with replying for getting annoyed/angry with me. It was a very ill informed post and I had nothing but my emotions fueling my arguments. The truth is, I have many friends of different nationalities and it wouldn't be possible had Australia not been the wonderful place it is to live. Sure, its not perfect, but there are far more positive things I should have been focusing on before I went down that trail. After some long introspection I decided that the only way to move forward from this was to acknowledge that this was not who I was. Its not particularly important to a lot of you, I realise this. But I would like to rejoin this community with a fresh slate. Hopefully thats possible. Thanks for taking the time to read, for those that did.

Shorty
10-21-2014, 04:24 PM
Of course it's possible! If we all judged eachother on posts we made years ago or even in our teenage years, we'd be a pretty sad group of people. Many of us have changed over time, and I'm happy to see you have as well!

Welcome back. :) Will you be sticking around this time? What made you want to return?

sharkythesharkdogg
10-21-2014, 04:47 PM
Welcome back.

Self-criticism, self-awareness, and the ability to acknowledge that you feel you have done something wrong is incredibly difficult. So, without knowing what exactly you feel you did wrong because I haven't read that thread, I'll still give you a tip of the hat for sitting down and doing some intense self-reflection.

After acknowledging that you feel you've done something wrong it takes even more strength to decide to do something about it, and even more strength of character to make an open statement about it to others.

So if you feel you really screwed up somewhere, it can be really tough to get others to forgive and forget. It can be tough to forgive yourself. Still, I respect you for trying. It takes guts. So even though you're ashamed, you deserve to give yourself some credit.

Does this seem like an EoEo type thread?

Rowan
10-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Of course it's possible! If we all judged eachother on posts we made years ago or even in our teenage years, we'd be a pretty sad group of people. Many of us have changed over time, and I'm happy to see you have as well!

Welcome back. :) Will you be sticking around this time? What made you want to return?

Sure, Ill stick around. I wanted to return because I had been coming to this site since its very early days, back when you had all the soundtracks for each FF game up for download. I believe that was back in 2002? Anyway, its very active here and I would have stuck around if it wasn't for the reason I thought everyone disliked me off the get-go. But as I said, I don't blame those particular people. Going back to that thread, it seems multiple people who participated have actually been banned.

Welcome back.

Self-criticism, self-awareness, and the ability to acknowledge that you feel you have done something wrong is incredibly difficult. So, without knowing what exactly you feel you did wrong because I haven't read that thread, I'll still give you a tip of the hat for sitting down and doing some intense self-reflection.

After acknowledging that you feel you've done something wrong it takes even more strength to decide to do something about it, and even more strength of character to make an open statement about it to others.

So if you feel you really screwed up somewhere, it can be really tough to get others to forgive and forget. It can be tough to forgive yourself. Still, I respect you for trying. It takes guts. So even though you're ashamed, you deserve to give yourself some credit.

Does this seem like an EoEo type thread?

Read the opening post for a bit of an idea, if you like. Sure, if you think this belongs into EoEo, be my guest if you'd like to move it. Perhaps it might get a little more attention in there. I was kinda hoping to get some acknowledgment from some of the people involved in the thread too. In any case, Im a far more positive and level-headed person now. Far more open to reason without getting emotionally charged. While I continue to have some rather strong views on some controversial topics, I would hate that the above thread I linked be a representation of how I think, because It's nonsense.

Thanks for the welcome back!

Slothy
10-21-2014, 11:49 PM
I saw you post in another thread and knew I recognized the name. I thought you might be someone that I argued with about something at some point. Glad to see my memory isn't going in my old age. :D

But no worries man. If you've done some introspection and come back better for it then you're more than welcome. Hell, even if you didn't, you'd still be more than welcome. We'd just disagree on some topics that get discussed in Eyes on Each Other I'd imagine. But there's no reason for the things said or discussed there to turn personal. Even when I disagree with someone I try not to hold it against them, or at least not make it personal. Stick to attacking the argument and all that. And even if I do disagree politically with someone it doesn't mean we can't talk about games, movies, TV shows, etc. in the other forums.

Loony BoB
10-22-2014, 01:20 PM
Absolutely agree with the others - if you have changed, then people should judge you on who you are now, not who you were then.

Raistlin
10-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Everyone starts from a place of ignorance. People shouldn't be judged based on their views going into a discussion, but their views coming out of one. I remember that thread, and I am happy for you that you grew intellectually away from those ideas.

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2014, 07:10 AM
Rowan. I never knew you or that thread, but I want to thank you - with every aspect of my being - for introducing me to it. I have the absolute largest and most enthusiastic nostalgia and justice boner in my life, and the justirection is only amplified by the person you have become and the acknowledgement of your previous flaws. That's a very difficult thing to do, and you should be proud of yourself.

My favourite part of that thread was old school foa coming in and kicking the shit out of everybody. Jesus Christ, that was amazing. Also, Baloki's addition made me very happy. xD

Rin Heartilly
10-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Another fellow Aussie :D

What you did takes courage, you shouldn't feel bad either because no one's perfect. I'm sure there must be comments I've made on other sites that I wouldn't want to see the light of day xD So welcome back!

Hannibal_Khan
10-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Tough read, pretty cringe worthy at times. But i won't hold it against you.

Ayen
10-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi.

I wasn't around when all that happened, but welcome back anyway.