PDA

View Full Version : Gaming News Outlets

Bolivar
10-22-2014, 06:30 PM
The games media has recently come under scrutiny for its lagging ethics and the growing divide between writers and their audience. I know at EoFF, we've been eye-rolling for years as mainstream journalists come to represent our tastes less and less. But who are the good ones that you follow for your news updates? I'm particularly interested in knowing some of the smaller, more independent enthusiast outlets since I honestly don't follow any right now.

Joystiq has been my mainstay for years. They represent a broad range in tastes and are relatively unoffensive. Their indie coverage has been great, especially since Jess Conditt came on board.

I also really like Gametrailers for high quality videos. They used to be a little fanboyish and The Bonus Round still gets its share of tools but overall I really relate to their current writers and shows right now.

And as embarrassing as it is to admit, I actually follow IGN a bit these days. Their top games lists are consistently terrible but I really like Podcast Beyond and and their PS4 app makes it easy to watch a couple videos to stay on top of things before hopping into a game.

So where do you guys go for your news? Feel free to include specific podcasts or segments you follow as well.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-22-2014, 07:02 PM
I have no issues with IGN. They keep me up to date on what's coming out and whatnot. But yeah, I mostly check up on things like Podcast Beyond and Game Scoop because I like the personalities of the people on there, and they get some cool people to interview on Game Scoop occasionally. I may disagree with lists (though they have multiple working on them at once, so I understand why they are the way they are), and I do disagree with the reviews on occasion. They're alright in my books though.

Outside of EoFF for FF stuff and IGN for everything else, I really don't follow anyone right now though. If I really want to get a grasp for reviews and stuff, I just read a bunch from different websites.

Pumpkin
10-22-2014, 07:08 PM
I read Game Informer or I just watch videos that people link that look interesting

Skyblade
10-22-2014, 07:20 PM
I don't really look for gaming news on the whole. I do have a handful of reviewers on YouTube that I trust when I'm wanting to find out about a game (ProJared chief among them). But as far as "news" goes, I am rarely interested.

Del Murder
10-22-2014, 09:56 PM
I read Game Informer or I just watch videos that people link that look interesting
Same here. GI seems to represent my interests fairly well and I like their coverage.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-23-2014, 05:28 AM
Oh, I do get Game Informer magazine as well. I forgot about those, haha.

Vyk
10-24-2014, 10:30 PM
I receive Game Informer. But I rarely read it. They barely ever have more than a couple opinion pieces. Their interviews are with people and on topics that don't interest me, and their reviews are few, late, and mostly only highlight Triple-A titles. And then generally the stuff I'm interested in gets overlooked, or is relegated to small sections of one or two paragraphs at the end of the review section. They focus very much on just what's trending, and barely do any hard journalism. But I have yet to feel that sensation in my throat where it's blatantly obvious a reviewer was bought, like I get while reading much of anything from IGN and the like. I'm sure it still happens. But it's not nearly as prevalent with them. But still I barely give my magazines from them a passing glance

I read Polygon usually. They do a lot of opinion pieces, and put forth a lot of background information. They cover a lot of indie development. They ask a lot of hard questions. They try to be as transparent as they can get away with, without shooting themselves in the foot. I don't doubt they have a little corruption of their own. But their content interests me at least. Though lately they've been doing a lot of click-baiting on Facebook with sensationalist headlines. So they're losing steam with me quickly. But I was only ever a fan of their format, and frequently the content. I don't know any of the names of reviews or journalists there. I don't consider myself a fan of theirs. But they have built a good community. The forums and comments sections are frequently worth a lot more of a read than the articles they're connected to. I don't know what that really says about them, but it's a good place to have a discussion, none-the-less

Fox
10-24-2014, 11:02 PM
Eurogamer and Rock, Paper, Shotgun are my primary outlets for news and opinion pieces and such. Mainly I go wherever Cara Ellison writes and then just stay there ^_^. I also poke around on Destructoid quite a lot and The Escapist (mainly for Jim Sterling, the rest of their pieces can be very hit and miss).

Someone that's really surprised me lately is Kotaku. I used to hate reading anything on there - inflammatory nonsense constantly using random dudes from NeoGaf as their sources - but recently they've turned it around. Lots of interesting pieces, and lots of really strong ongoing coverage for games that are already out rather than just hyping up the stuff that's coming. So I pop in there from time to time as well now and am happy to give them the traffic whenever a link to one of their articles pops up.

Ayen
10-25-2014, 11:15 AM
I browse Game Spot every now and again when I want to stay informed, but I don't really go out looking for news a whole lot.

escobert
10-26-2014, 12:31 AM
I used to subscribe to PCgamer but, I don't anymore and haven't for a few years. I check their website now and again but other than that I don't really look at any gaming news.

Aulayna
10-26-2014, 01:07 AM
Polygon mostly.

I also still click through clickbait on Kotaku, they're terrible for actual gaming news these days but sometimes have stories about cool merchandise etc.

Other than that I mostly just watch the GameSpot news videos on YouTube and flick through IGN from time to time. IGN gets a lot of flack but a lot of it's more recent reviews have been bang on how I've felt about certain games.

Dr Unne
10-26-2014, 08:49 AM
My source of news includes:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut/videos for PC games

Good subreddits:
http://www.reddit.com/r/games (not the bigger http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming, which is a cesspool of memes)
http://www.reddit.com/r/vita

Youtube: Search for "<game name> gameplay" and judge for yourself. Or look it up on Steam and read the reviews.

I follow game devs and twitch streamers I care about on Twitter, so I can hear about their upcoming games or other games they recommend.

I don't like any big game news outlet. They tend to focus on crap I don't care about (AAA games) or read like advertisements. I'd rather hear the honest opinions of individuals who share my tastes.

Wolf Kanno
11-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Siliconera is my primary gaming news site largely because it focuses on Japanese games and smaller developers. I mainly check out reviews as they come and I don't really discriminate the news site as I'm just there for the review. I do listen to Zero Punctuation but that's largely for entertainment rather than because I want an honest opinion. If I want real fun with reviews I check out GameFAQS cause their user reviews are hilarious. Most of my news comes from tagging the content I care for and having updates emailed to me. I also get Game Informer but that's just because I deal with Gamestop.