PDA

View Full Version : Obviously, I'm watching Pokemon.

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Because how else would a grown man spend his evenings?

Today has been a very nostalgic day for me, concluding with watching some Pokemon season one. Did not know they showed off Ho-Oh in the very first episode. Hot damn! :D

How often do you succumb to the whims of nostalgia? How often are you left disappointed by your memories being far better than the thing you remembered?

Psychotic
10-23-2014, 12:37 PM
It was a Moltres wasn't it? I didn't think Ho-Oh existed at that point.

Shauna
10-23-2014, 01:03 PM
Matt and I recently watched the first two seasons of Pokemon because Netflix.

And it was a Ho-Oh, which is crazy.

Quindiana Jones
10-23-2014, 05:13 PM
Yeah, that's the thing. My friend walks in to find me watching Pokemon and immediately asks "Have you seen Ho-Oh yet?"

I was sure - yet couldn't believe - it was Ho-Oh, but refused to accept it. Holy shit.

Like, really. Holy shit. That's so cool of them.

Pumpkin
10-23-2014, 05:33 PM
I just rewatched the Pokemans not long ago actually.

And the Digimans

Perducci
10-23-2014, 10:27 PM

I think most of the Pokémon from Gen II had already been designed when they were working on the original games and the anime came a little later than Red and Blue so Ho-Oh was thrown in to tease us all.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Yup, it was Ho-Oh.

I watch Pokemon from time to time. It's always a nice little nostalgia trip. I did Yugioh a while back as well. Yugioh was a bit more disappointing to me for whatever reason, but I had low expectations going into my rewatch. DB/DBZ never let me down though.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Like, really. Holy trout. That's so cool of them.

Missed the opportunity to say Ho-Ohly trout.

http://i.imgur.com/QU1rESy.gif

Tavrobel
11-01-2014, 09:38 PM

I think most of the Pokémon from Gen II had already been designed when they were working on the original games and the anime came a little later than Red and Blue so Ho-Oh was thrown in to tease us all.

It was Ho-Oh. It had already been designed at this point.

jRed/jGreen, jBlue, usRed/usBlue actually had 190 Pokemon programmed into it. However, 39 of the Pokemon couldn't be implemented fully into the game because of the storage limitations of the cartridge. These Pokemon can be generated and fought as different MissingNo.s by forcing the game to give you an encounter for the corresponding Pokemon's index number.

Eg., Ho-oh is actually index number 34. Victreebel is actually number 190. Rhydon is number 1. (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_(Generation_I))

If you can successfully transfer them into the Gen II games, they turn into the Pokemon they were supposed to be. If you generate and catch a Pokemon with an index number above 191, you can't transfer it into Gen II. It's just garbage data.

Miriel
11-03-2014, 11:37 AM
I watched the first season of Pokemon last year while on the plane to New Zealand. It was amazing! Still loved it after all this time. I also binge watched most of Gilmore Girls while I was pregnant. But that show didn't hold up as well for me. It's oddly racist which I don't really remember it being.

Ayen
11-03-2014, 12:07 PM
I go on many nostalgia binges. Just recently with Castlevania, Luigi's Mansion, and Resident Evil. Only disappointment I can remember is when I replayed Spider-Man 2 Enter: Electro last May.

Can't remember the last time I watched through Pokemon.

Rez09
11-06-2014, 11:23 PM
I love this show and still watch it from time to time if I see it on. It has some damn fine moments in it, like a Wingull (or maybe it was a Pelipper) that is immune to electricity because it places one wing on the ground and catches the lightning with the other, supposedly grounding out the attack and totally ignoring the current running straight across its chest in the process, or Brock's grand exclamation that "Cranidos' defenses are amazing!" in one of the Gen IV episodes. Pretty sure I saw Deoxys randomly jack a hotdog stand in one of the movies too.

Maybe I like this show for the wrong reasons.
._.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-07-2014, 07:59 AM
IAR5cqVYQKw

Bubba
11-07-2014, 09:57 AM
it was a Ho-Oh

it was Ho-Oh

Yup, it was Ho-Oh.

It was Ho-Oh.

It wasn't Ho-Oh.

Sephex
11-07-2014, 10:17 AM
it was a Ho-Oh

it was Ho-Oh

Yup, it was Ho-Oh.

It was Ho-Oh.

It wasn't Ho-Oh.

When my sister was very young she was trying to catch that Pokemon in one of the Gen II games. I was only a passive player back then. She still didn't quite pronounce things that clearly since she was still pretty young.

Basically, for months I wondered why my sister was trying to catch a ho in Pokemon.

Bubba
11-07-2014, 11:43 AM
Basically, for months I wondered why my sister was trying to catch a ho in Pokemon.

Grand Theft Auto VI: Lumiose City

I'd buy it.

Quindiana Jones
11-07-2014, 02:21 PM
My favourite thing so far is the fact that rock doesn't conduct electricity and so cannot be harmed by Pikachu so they just jacked him up and electrified it harder.

Also...

Gym Badges Ash has won: 0
Gym Badges Ash has been given: 2

Scotty_ffgamer
11-07-2014, 04:34 PM
My favorite thing with the show is that Ash really isn't that good of a trainer. He also sucks at catching 'em all.

Shauna
11-07-2014, 05:55 PM
My favourite thing so far is the fact that rock doesn't conduct electricity and so cannot be harmed by Pikachu so they just jacked him up and electrified it harder.

Also...

Gym Badges Ash has won: 0
Gym Badges Ash has been given: 2

By the end of it all, I think he's actually earned about 2. He is a terrible trainer.

Also Matt was legitimately the most mad guy in the world when we watched Pokemon for all that electrifying rock and other nonsense that it pulled.

Pumpkin
11-07-2014, 05:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uDwhEJm.png

Ayen
11-07-2014, 10:35 PM
I agree with everything the above picture says. Now where can I sign the petition?

Denmark
11-07-2014, 11:12 PM
james also buys a magikarp and calls it worthless and fails to eat it. james is kind of a dick in the first season.

pokemon is the only anime that is good.

Tavrobel
11-08-2014, 03:30 AM
It wasn't Ho-Oh.

hahha i like jokes

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-08-2014, 05:32 AM
Gary's so cool he has 10. Out of 8.

Funny videos, top 50 first world problems for pokemon trainers

9C0elOBY5Hw

XH8kGsRXrEk

Bubba
11-08-2014, 05:44 PM
It wasn't Ho-Oh.

hahha i like jokes

Who's joking?

When this first episode aired, Satoshi Tajiri confirmed in interview that the bird at the end was one of the original designs (ultimately not included) for Pokemon Red and Blue. It was a variation on the design for Moltres that Ken Sugimori came up with. Eventually though, it was deemed too similar to Moltres and its reveal was delayed. It was definitely used in the first episode as a teaser though for future, as yet unrevealed, pokemon. Its name at the time was actually Flagron. The name was eventually changed for the release of Pokemon Gold and Silver to (the clearly inferior name) Ho-Oh and was used as a legendary pokemon.

Therefore, it isn't Ho-Oh, at the time of release, it was Flagron.

Shauna
11-08-2014, 05:46 PM
Technicalities. x}

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Alright, but if someone says it's Ho-Oh and you're like "Nah, it's beta Ho-Oh", they don't have to be wrong.

Bubba
11-09-2014, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I made all that up. It is Ho-Oh, always was.

Sounded plausible though, didn't it? Quite impressed with myself!

Shauna
11-10-2014, 08:21 AM
:colbert:

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-10-2014, 11:06 AM
Fell right into that. You even prefaced your paragraph with "Who's joking?" :grover:

I picture someone throwing a pokeball and out of the red light comes a rick roll video.

MissH
11-10-2014, 09:44 PM
I never enjoyed Pokemon as a child. Now, as a 26 and a half year old female, I'm mildly obsessed.

Quindiana Jones
11-12-2014, 05:56 AM
I'm so glad Bubba brought you here, Miss H. xD

MissH
11-12-2014, 04:26 PM
I'm so glad Bubba brought you here, Miss H. xD

*bows* why thank you.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-14-2014, 12:30 AM
CGVDLxa_3rI