PDA

View Full Version : Interstellar

Night Fury
10-26-2014, 04:11 AM
Who else is excited for this?

We saw the trailer when we went to see Guardians of the Galaxy and it just cemented it that we HAVE to see this on the big screen. I am loving Matthew at the moment and I'd love to see him take another Oscar this year! I'm also a big fan of Christopher Nolan after Pheesh and I sat and watched a lot of his movies... I'm so excited for this, it looks like it will be a really emotional film too, my favourite!

zSWdZVtXT7E

blackmage_nuke
10-26-2014, 07:50 AM
Christopher Nolan is my favourite director so I've been super excited and avoiding any trailers and spoilers so I can go into it fresh like I did for Inception

Slothy
10-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Christopher Nolan and space travel. Like anything else even needs to be said.

Shorty
10-27-2014, 09:09 AM
Yeah, super stoked. Between Nolan and McConaghey, I can't wait.

Ayen
10-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Christopher Nolan is my favourite director so I've been super excited and avoiding any trailers and spoilers so I can go into it fresh like I did for Inception

I wish I could do this, but unfortunately this thing has shown at every single movie I went to see at the theaters to the point I'm sick to my stomach of seeing it.

I'm indifferent. Don't really care for astronauts in space all that much. Only reason I'd probably see it would be Anne Hathaway.

Freya
10-31-2014, 07:40 PM
You don't like... space.............................

:|

Yeah, super stoked. Between Nolan and McConaghey, I can't wait.

that

Rantz
10-31-2014, 08:19 PM
Can't really go wrong with Nolan. Excited!

Slothy
11-01-2014, 12:56 AM
I think he meant actual astronauts in space? I hope so anyway. I mean, it's still unforgiveable, but it's better than not liking space.

Shiny
11-01-2014, 01:35 AM
If I could taste this movie it would be delicious.

Ayen
11-01-2014, 10:58 AM
You don't like... space.............................

:|

Space is horrible. Aliens are either trying to exterminate you, assimilate you, upgrade you, eat you, impregnate you, put you on a planet and hunt you for sport, put a microchip in your brain that makes you see them everywhere you go, and when you think the only things you have to worry about are aliens, you get sucked into a black hole!

Seriously though, I mainly just meant the astronauts. I'm sure actually being an astronaut is great, but just watching them floating around is boring.

#heelheat

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-08-2014, 05:26 AM
Just got done watching this movie.

It had me between 'omg this is amazing' and 'ugh, just stop' many times. Mostly towards the end. It all felt very long and drawn out unnecessarily.
The atmosphere of the theater I was in may have made my feelings for the movie worse too. I fucking hate crowded theaters. Ugh.

It was a true science fiction movie. I loved that aspect of it. Some good, hard, theoretical sciencey ideas to move the plot along.

Night Fury
11-08-2014, 05:42 AM
I saw this last night and I loved it. I want to go see it again!

blackmage_nuke
11-08-2014, 11:26 AM
I enjoyed it, not as much as Inception. The people behind me in the cinema would not stfu for the WHOLE movie. They also brought a child with them who had no chance being able to still quietly for 3 hours. I'll probably watch it again if a second group of friends wanted to see it.

The only part I didnt like was when the first astronaut died, GET IN THE FRIKIN SHUTTLE, THE ROBOT WILL RESCUE THE GIRL

On a related note I loved those robots, very creative design.

DMKA
11-09-2014, 03:11 AM
Yeah, I just got done seeing it. It was pretty grand, and certainly didn't feel like it was nearly three hours long.

Jinx
11-09-2014, 03:49 AM
Just got back.

It seems this movie is really polarizing, and I personally can see and understand it's either love it or hate it. I'm personally in the loving it category.

Night Fury
11-09-2014, 04:10 AM
Can I just say though that the part on the wave planet was amazing, those giant waves made me feel ill it was sooooo intense!

Jinx
11-09-2014, 04:24 AM
Yeah...

We saw it in IMAX. The very first scene where he's dreaming of piloting literally nearly collapsed my ears. And so when we got to the wave planet...oh my god. Every time they were hit, you could actually feel it. Amazing. I also thought it was sad that Brand said that the lady had probably died right before they got there.

The real tear-jerker was obviously the ending. I'm glad Coop got to see Murph one last time, but it's still heartbreaking that she was about to die. And her telling him to leave because no parent should see their child die.

Night Fury
11-09-2014, 04:30 AM
Man I was holding back tears the entire time haha! When he left and Murphy ran out, then later when he got the messages from his son all at once with the birth and death of his granchild. Urgh. When he was sending Murph the messages, and then yes the very end. I just thought it was a seriously good movie. I think I found it so emotional because of the Murph/Coop relationship - at times it felt a lot like the relationship I have with my Dad.

Jinx
11-09-2014, 04:32 AM
The entire movie was just one emotional smack to the face, honestly. The other scene that really got me was when Coop releases himself and lets Brand live. She looks so lost and lonely and of course betrayed.

I do like that the end implies that Coop will indeed reach her and they'll have each other to rebuild humanity.

Slothy
11-11-2014, 02:01 AM
I need some time to reflect, but my initial impression is that that may be my favourite space movie that I've ever seen now.

Beautiful is the only word I feel adequate enough to describe it. Anything more would sully the feeling and fail to capture it anyway.

Bubba
11-11-2014, 04:09 PM
Possibly one of the biggest fall from graces of all time for Christopher Nolan. The set pieces were always gonna be visually appealing but as for the rest? Awful.

Script was so poorly written and made even worse by the cast. I really hope this is just a one-off because I love all Nolan's other films.

Night Fury
11-11-2014, 04:28 PM
....Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!??!

Slothy
11-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Get out Bubba. :colbert:

Pheesh
11-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Dude, Bubba, you're talking like a crazy person right now. I can't even bear to see you like this.

Slothy
11-11-2014, 04:57 PM
How the mighty have fallen.

Jinx
11-11-2014, 05:03 PM
I'm also in the WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT camp.

However, I will say this: it's one thing for the plot to not really be your thing, it's another to say the acting was bad.

Bubba
11-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Yeah, I haven't even seen it yet. I'm just jealous of everyone else who has.

It's gonna get 10/10 from me before I've even ejaculated into my popcorn.

Pheesh
11-12-2014, 12:59 AM
Ohh you tricky trickster, I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Jinx
11-12-2014, 01:13 AM
Wha....what? I've seen you post in two threads about how much you hated this movie, Bubba. Were you trolling? :confused:

Pheesh
11-12-2014, 02:04 AM
Neil deGrasse Tyson tweeting about interstellar:

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/11/neil-degrasse-tyson-tweets-interstellar/ (http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/11/neil-degrasse-tyson-tweets-interstellar/)

McLovin'
11-12-2014, 07:15 AM
when matthew mackay is exiting the tesarrect dimension, his expression was my expression for the whole movie.

like 0.0

Chris
11-12-2014, 08:52 AM
I saw it last night, and I enjoyed it. However, I am not blown away by it. It dragged in parts, and I thought the second half became waaaay too much Hollywood. But overall a good movie.

Slothy
11-12-2014, 10:49 AM
I thought the second half became waaaay too much Hollywood.

I don't know what this means.

Bubba
11-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Wha....what? I've seen you post in two threads about how much you hated this movie, Bubba. Were you trolling? :confused:

I most certainly was.

Jinx
11-12-2014, 02:04 PM

I most certainly was.

*sigh of relief*

Aulayna
11-12-2014, 05:46 PM
I wish I was advised beforehand that I should've taken some tissues in. So many tearjerking moments.

Slothy
11-12-2014, 06:30 PM
I almost wanted to tear up seeing the wormhole and the black hole for the first time. Probably the most realistic depictions of both I've ever seen. Especially in sci-fi.

Aulayna
11-12-2014, 06:41 PM
*dons Bubba hat* I was tearing up because it was such a bad film */Bubba*

Yeah the special effects were really great.

This video, while very infomercial, is also pretty cool regarding the black hole

MfGfZwQ_qaY

Dat Matt
11-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Went to go and see Interstella. Was pretty funky

http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/10500000/Daft-Punk-daft-punk-10563101-1600-1200.jpg

Actual thoughts on the movie. It was pretty. PRETTY DULL! Ha, zinger. It was a very good looking movie and all the actors did a great job. It's just nothing happenes for about 75% of the movie except dealing with the bleak nothing that is space. Then the ending happens picked up the pace and finished.

Gravity was the same. A lot of high paced action interlaced with long periods of boring nothing.

Slothy
11-12-2014, 10:44 PM
You've got a funny definition of boring.

Rantz
11-12-2014, 11:49 PM
Dudes. Loved this movie. I had unusually high expectations going in and I was still very impressed! Super emotional, super exciting, super epic (in the literal sense), and just a top-notch production overall.

Denmark
11-13-2014, 12:07 AM
when can i become a 12-dimensional hyperbeing

McLovin'
11-14-2014, 06:35 AM
when can i become a 12-dimensional hyperbeing

You just gotta follow the signs your ghost leaves for you.

Ergroilnin
11-27-2014, 01:01 PM
God I fell in utter love with this movie. I even went with my friends to another city because it has the only IMAX in our republic and it was so, so worth it. While I didn't find the movie mindbreaking, I found it absolutely awesome and overall really well done. Heck I even liked the slow "boring" hour long intro before they actually left for space. The graphics in this movie were so awesome when it came to space I nearly jizzed my pants. Really the shots that made you feel like you are actually in the space left me shaking with excitement, something no other movie has ever done for me. Also the physics except for the obvious deus ex machina Black Hole inside was pretty good if I say so myself and that's also big reason why I loved the movie.

Seriously getting this on blu-ray.

Rocket Edge
11-30-2014, 07:36 PM
I haven't seen this yet. I thought Inception was okay and forgetful. I've seen most of Nolan's films and the only one I really enjoyed was TDKR. Batman Begins was good too. To a degree I can understand the hype he gets, but a lot of the time I think he's on a mission to portray how great he thinks he is. I can see his idea's but there's many times in his films that drag and is nonsensical & boring.

I'll wait 'til DVD time.

Pike
11-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Huxley and I saw this the weekend it came out and it was sooooooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooood augh I cannot handle it it was so good

best sci-fi I have seen in forever

The Man
11-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Alongside Gravity, this is easily the best sci-fi film I've seen in years, and likely to be in the top ten films of any genre of the decade. This film was pretty much perfect.

I also want the complete soundtrack because of reasons.

Sephex
11-30-2014, 07:48 PM
Finally saw this last night. Much more emotional than I expected. I liked the movie overall, and it certainly was an experience.

Slothy
11-30-2014, 10:14 PM
Alongside Gravity, this is easily the best sci-fi film I've seen in years, and likely to be in the top ten films of any genre of the decade. This film was pretty much perfect.

I loved Gravity too, though I think the plus side to this one is that the science is actually more plausible (which might be hard for some people to understand actually). In fact the fundamental science in the movie is pretty much bang on. The only time it starts getting a bit crazy is when it's getting into science that we barely understand to begin with. And even then it's not out to lunch.

Actually makes me realize that we don't get much hard sci-fi these days.

Ergroilnin
11-30-2014, 10:54 PM
Am I the only one who basically hated Gravity and not just because of Sandra Bullocks? That movie sucked in every possible way in my opinion, heck all the satellites aren't on even nearly the same orbit, the could've easily have connection to Earth. All that "My last time in space, let's be total retard and just fly around in space like a LOT" genious my ass. It wasn't even that impressive graphic wise if you ask me...

Interstellar on the other hand? Hnghnnn...

Mirage
12-01-2014, 12:33 AM
I actually saw interstellar the same day as EoFF went down forever. I was totally excited to write about the movie in this thread when i got back from the theatre, but then the site was down!

Anyway, best scifi I have seen in possibly a decade. Also one of the best movies I've seen in years. I didn't think it was even a minute too long. In fact, I wouldn't have objected to it being even another hour longer.

I haven't seen this yet. I thought Inception was okay and forgetful. I've seen most of Nolan's films and the only one I really enjoyed was TDKR. Batman Begins was good too. To a degree I can understand the hype he gets, but a lot of the time I think he's on a mission to portray how great he thinks he is. I can see his idea's but there's many times in his films that drag and is nonsensical & boring.

I'll wait 'til DVD time.

Mistake of your lifetime. This deserves to be viewed on the big big screen.

Shiny
12-01-2014, 03:26 AM
I felt bad for the son. He was largely neglected the entire film. Otherwise I enjoyed it. I also liked Gravity. One thing I have to mention that should be obvious, is that this film is fiction as was Gravity. You have to suspend disbelief to enjoy works of fiction regardless of them centering around scientific concerns.

Scotty_ffgamer
12-01-2014, 05:17 PM
The science is really what drew me into this movie. It just touches on very specific obsessions I had about space as a kid. It touches on things I'd hypothesize as a kid, things that I was hoping I'd one day get to see. It may just be a movie, but I can't help but feel that hope as a kid was fulfilled a bit. I really enjoyed Gravity, but Gravity was just a visual treat meant to be seen on the big screen in 3D. I can't imagine wanting to ever see it again in any other format. Interstellar has the benefit of having much more going for it for me to think about after watching it. I almost can't imagine seeing it on a smaller screen, but I know I'd still enjoy watching it at home from time to time.

Honestly, I can't really compare Gravity with Interstellar. They may both be space movies, but they are extremely different from each other

Edit: Out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite track in the soundtrack?