PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hill 4: The Room

Forsaken Lover
10-27-2014, 01:22 PM
NdXCsXcs6nA

Given my preference for trying out games with a huge split between fandom and hatedom, I chose this as my first SH game. It was so long ago that this was actually the latest in the series and man oh man was the backlash against it palpable. People didn't have Homecoming or Shattered Memories to bitch about yet. Although, after playing SH3, I fail to see why the first three games are all held in such high esteem while 4 was singled out.

Putting it frankly, I think the premise was great. SH2 has a lot of what made people adore SH2 - it gets away from the Culty Magic Mumbojumbo and is far more focused on the psychological aspects. Oh sure there's still magic and The Order factors into the backstory but really, the game is about getting inside Walter Sullivan's head. I think that is largely the key to appreciating SH4 - you have to realize Henry is all but a Silent Protagonist. He's just our avatar to learn about Walter's past and motivations. I think it worked perfectly. Walter is one of my favorite SH characters.

But that's my thoughts to kick things off. How about you all, SH fans?

Slothy
10-27-2014, 01:29 PM
I thought it was quite good myself. I wouldn't say I liked it as much as the first three, but it was still a damn fine game overall. I think much of the backlash was about it not feeling like the typical Silent Hill game and to he fair, not much of it takes place in Silent Hill and it was originally not going to be a SH title at all so that explains some of the disconnect people felt. Still, it was a fine horror addition to a fine horror franchise. And it was certainly head and shoulders above what's come after it.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-27-2014, 05:33 PM
I still have yet to play it, but there is a definitely a split amongst my friends about how they feel about the game. I've only played 1, 2, most of 3, and Shattered Memories. I'm sure I'll like 4 as its own thing, but I won't see it as Silent Hill probably.

Also, people complain about Shattered Memories? I thought it was pretty great personally. I mean, it's different, but it has to be the best thing to come out of when the Americans took over developing Silent Hill. Well, that and the joke ending in Downpour. That ending was magnificent.

Slothy
10-27-2014, 06:23 PM
Downpour was done by a team in the Czech Republic actually.

Wolf Kanno
10-27-2014, 06:24 PM
I really enjoy SH4 actually, hell my only beef with the game was the freaking invincible ghosts that can't be killed, or stunned for long, can go anywhere in their stage to come murder you, and just being near you hurts you can be pretty brutal in the higher difficulties. In terms of story and premise I think the game is brilliant it just has a few extra annoying game flaws in a franchise that was already pushing it.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Downpour was done by a team in the Czech Republic actually.

Huh. I did know that, but for some reason as I was typing that I was thinking it was the same team who did Homecoming.

Fynn
10-27-2014, 07:31 PM
I'm actually gonna play this for the first time with my wife this Halloween. I love Silent Hill so much :D

Yamaneko
10-29-2014, 01:03 AM
It's actually the scariest and most inventive game in the series. It was also the last good Silent Hill game.

The only reason I would give Silent Hill 2 the edge over it is because I didn't quite care enough for the character in four. Two's story had you much more emotionally-involved.

Ayen
11-02-2014, 05:10 PM
I haven't played it yet. I only recently played the first game and plan to go through all of them in order. Going from 3 to this game probably won't do it any favors.

Fynn
11-05-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm playing it right now and I love it! The story is really creepy and the whole mystery in the main plot makes me really curious. Now, SH2 remains my favorite, but if this keeps up, then this game is gonna be a very close second!