PDA

View Full Version : Unused (or possibly false) details about games you've seen over the years.

MJN SEIFER
10-29-2014, 02:04 AM
I've been meaning to do this for a while. What have you seen, be it in magazines, websites, trailers, or anywhere else that has been stated (or at least rumored) to be in an upcoming game, only for it to be changed or not included at all (assuming it was ever true to begin with).

I will start this off with some non-existent (for the most part) Tekken 4 characters, who were revealed (to me, at least) in issue nine of Essential PlayStation, during their review of Tekken 3. These characters were referred to as "(apparent) leaks from Namco" by Essential Playstation that "can't be taken as certain". In actual fact, very little of what was said turned out to be true.

60289 60290

The first character to be revealed is Katja Gordo, who is described as having "the perfect combo of Eddie Gordo's footwork, and Nina's impressive multipart throw". I remember thinking as a kid that (like Tekken 3) Tekken 4 would be set several years after the previous game, and that Katja would be Eddy and Nina's daughter (like how Jin is Kazuya and Jun's son, and in Tekken 3 at least, a combination of both character's fighting style). However, no characters named "Katja Gordo" have appeared in Tekken so far, so this is either a scrapped idea or was never true.
Additional: a Google search on another character revealed there was indeed a rumor that Eddy and Nina would have a daughter, but she is referred to as Nialva Gordo on that site.

Jin of course, is not a new character, but the magazine states that Namco would give him a "Toshin/Ogre aspect", which would be reminiscent of Devil Kazuya. It was said that the second version will have wings, which will be used in attack, and that the lasers will be replaced by a "devastating sonic boom". This actually turned out to be sort of true, but for Tekken 5, and it had nothing to do with Ogre. I am of course referring to Devil Jin, who sadly did not replace his lasers with a sonic boom. :(

The characters on the second page are given very basic information. The character on the top left, is apparently named Asuka, and is theorised as being "the replacement for Lei Wulong", and is described as having a similar fighting style to him. There was a character named "Asuka" in Tekken 5, who was actually a Jun replacement, and Lei still existed in both Tekken 5 and Tekken 4, so if this Asuka was ever true, it is possible Namco recycled the name of this unused character.

The Hwoarang lookalike on the top right is supposedly his brother Charlie. According to the article, Charlie was created as a response to the fans being "disappointed with Hwoarang" and wanting him to be "closer to Baek from Tekken 2". I have no idea if these were real complaints or not, but Charlie has never been in any Tekken games, and it has not been stated officially (to my knowledge) that Hwoarang has a brother.

The final character to be revealed appears on the bottom right, and is stated to not have an official name, but was at the time of the article referred to by the work-in-progress name Hsiang. She is believed to be a relation of Ling Xiaoyu, and she is stated that she "takes a more brutal approach to fighting while using the same style". The closest (by the bare minimum) I can find to Hsiang being real is the fact that Tekken 4 included a new character named "Miharu Hirano" who is a friend of Xiaoyu's, and doesn't resemble Hsiang (and by extension, Xiaoyu) at all, nor does she seem to have a more brutal version of Xiaoyu's style (though she still fights in Xiaoyu's style).

By far the strangest fake character in the article is not even mentioned in the article at all, but can be seen between Asuka and Charlie. Can you see him? Yes, that's Eric Cartman of all people, and try as I might, I can't find anything about him, or any South Park characters ever being stated to be in Tekken 4. If this was an actual rumor, why didn't Essential Playstation mention it? Maybe they thought it was too silly? Notice how the picture doesn't even seem correctly focused, suggesting it may have been a photo edit. Having Cartman in Tekken would have been pretty interesting though.

Additional: The website where I found Katja's alternate name also contains other supposed rumors, feel free to read them here (http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/1750/t144506-false-rumors-about-tekken-4-before-was-released/).

I Took the Red Pill
10-29-2014, 03:41 AM
There were tons of these kind of rumors flying around before the internet was a widespread thing. I remember people telling me you could unlock Toad in Super Smash Bros Melee if you shot ALL of the names during the credits scroll (this is effectively impossible to accomplish).

Way further back some kid in school told me if you beat the Elite Four over 100 times you get to battle Red's mom. I did it and was crushed when nothing happened.

Scotty_ffgamer
10-29-2014, 05:22 AM
I had a similar thing with Pokemon, except that I was told that beating the Elite Four 100 times would change some of the dialogue with Professor Oak at the end in which he opens up a secret room called Pokemon Heaven where you could catch some really rare pokemon or something like that. There was probably something about battling Oak in there too.

Old Manus
10-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Tidus used to have dark hair (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72vckLXI7x4)

escobert
11-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Was the nude thing ever true for the first couple Tomb Raider games? I always remember hearing about that.

DMKA
11-02-2014, 02:44 AM
Was the nude thing ever true for the first couple Tomb Raider games? I always remember hearing about that.
No, at least not until modders came along and made it true. :p

Skyblade
11-02-2014, 11:22 PM
While I could easily post hundreds of Aeris revival rumors, or rumored characters for any Smash Bros. sequel, I'm choosing the only one I can remember that actually got me to believe it.

The Mew Truck.

Why is it there?! We know so much about the development of the original games, yet that truck remains a mystery to this day. Two unique floor tiles that exist in a (normally) unreachable area. I spent way too long searching from every angle, trying every move and item, looking for a way to do SOMETHING with this truck. It drove me nuts.

Polnareff
11-03-2014, 12:23 AM
Akuma being in Resident Evil 2. Which happened when modders put him into RE2 for PC.