PDA

View Full Version : What FF monster is Scarier?

Freya
10-29-2014, 04:46 PM
It's almost time for that spooky event known as halloween! Let's talk about spooky monsters in Final Fantasy!

We're talking about reoccurring monsters here.

http://criticalhits.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/malboro.jpg
Marlboros are giant monstrous amounts of teeth, tentacles, and eyeballs. They have such horrible breath that can one shot our party and sometimes even devour them whole. Even though they are huge, they move very fast and most often aren't seen by the party (http://youtu.be/Fbhg77-eAGM?t=5m25s) before it's too late in various entries in the series.

vs

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/8b/8b2aa6ddc9036248fac3642ac100e324c861ecf08608df871175c6698f5f15d5.jpg

Tonberries slowly walk toward you with their butcher knife. When they reach you they will usually deliver a one hit kill to you.

The worst thing about Tonberries is trying to figure out what attacks like "Karma" and "Everyone's Grudge" mean in-universe. And it gets even worse in the games where they get some sort of dialogue. "So long have I hated. Hated you, hated them, hated till I grew weary of hating . . . Once more, I pick up my knife. I'm coming for you. (http://home.eyesonff.com/content.php/2329-final-fantasy-tactics-advanced-2)"

Or is there a creature that scares you more than that? Please share!

Ayen
10-29-2014, 05:57 PM
I think Tonberry only because you're not expecting it to be dangerous and then it ruins your whole day. With the Malboro you kind of know what to expect right off the bat.

Vermachtnis
10-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Malboro's are like a "SURPRISE MADAFUCKER" kind of scary. But the Tonberry is a whole other level of scary. You try and fight it and it won't go down. So you run away. You think you've escaped that it's all over and you go to bed. Suddenly in the middle of the night you wake up and look around and there it is walking towards you. It's been chasing you. And it will continue chasing you until you're too exhausted to continue and the weight of all your past sins catch up with you and you collapse.

Colonel Angus
10-29-2014, 11:54 PM
Malboros are stank.

Depression Moon
10-30-2014, 03:04 AM
Malboros are stank.
You crack me up!

There's not one in particular for me. Some of the creature designs in XII looked pretty scary, like some of the ones in Gaza Plains. I know there are more examples but I haven't played the game in years. Final Fantasy always have some demonic looking creatures, but only the ones in XII I found actually scary at least a little bit.

The wraiths and monoliths in X were pretty cool looking.

Night Fury
10-30-2014, 04:56 AM
The Demon Wall in FFXIV.

Wolf Kanno
10-30-2014, 07:03 AM

Nothing says hit restart like running into a group of these guys. It says something when a creature reappears in the last few titles only as a boss and even in the few games where they are encountered as normal enemies they are treated as something to be feared. The Red Mindflayers in FFTactics tend to be most veteran players first priority kill. They have only shown up in half the series and still get more respect than either Malboro or Tonberries where they are only serious threats in a few games.

theundeadhero
10-30-2014, 07:14 AM
I can handle running into a Tonberry but unless you can expect and prepare for it a Marlboro is always going to ruin your day.

Psychotic
10-30-2014, 08:51 AM
God damn Marlboros are just trolls. Unless you have a ribbon there is no point in even trying to stand and fight.

Carl the Llama
10-31-2014, 07:56 AM
Definitely Malboro. I remember the first time I went to The Island Closest to (Hell or Heaven, cant remember which) and I had heard about how tough the monsters on those islands were and sought to fight a few of them, first was a hex dragon, I took him down easily enough... then it happened, Malboro came on the scene and Bad Breathed me... then proceeded to rape my poor heroes. I lost 3 hours of gameplay that day.

Tonberries on the other hand... they were pretty easy to beat, sure they have the death attack, but you get so many turns in before they close in on you it renders them mostly harmless.

Shiva95
10-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Tonberry because you can't expect that it is dangerous.

Karifean
10-31-2014, 02:30 PM
I'm going with Tonberry for one reason and one reason only: the Mega Tonberry from FFX-2.

That is probably THE most scary enemy in the entire series. I still vividly remember my first time jumping into one on accident and promptly getting hit for 30000 damage repeatedly. From that point on it's time to descend carefully but as you go deeper and deeper they appear more and more, sometimes surprising you around corners. So many scares were had.

Malboros are scary too but over time it's gone from being scary to "oh come on, again!?", drawing more of an annoyed reaction than a scared reaction.

Mirage
10-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Malboro is a strong contender, both visually and in terms of combat strength. In combat, behemoths also make me worried. Mindflayers get scarier and scarier as the graphical level rises.

black orb
11-05-2014, 07:10 PM
>>> Ahrimans are kind of creepy..:luca:

Rez09
11-05-2014, 07:41 PM
I'd have to give it to Malboros. Unlike Tonberries, Malboros actually have the potential to kill me in most games, and confusion, berserk, and sleep can all be pretty brutal unless you are prepared beforehand. If I run into a Tonberry unexpectedly, it's like, "Oh damn, I'll just . . . hit this thing a lot and heal/revive". Malboros, on the other hand, are more like, "uh . . . I think I can figh-- {bad breath} run, run, run, run, run, run".

Vyk
11-07-2014, 04:04 AM
Yeah... I'd have to go with Malboros out of the options, as well. With Tonberries, once you know what they're about, you know that anytime you run into one, you just have to bring the pain down upon them, and hope to hit them hard enough before they eventually hit you. It's usually a 50/50 chance they'll end up killing a character, but that's about it. A phoenix down once its over and you're good

Malboros are different. You can be aware of them. But if you don't have a ribbon, and a lot of luck, running into one is still terrible. I think it's more telling that an enemy's reputation is enough to make you want to avoid them, and regret whenever you run into one unprepared

Bubba
11-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Definitely Malboro. It gave me nightmares as a child, especially when it ate the shop owner.

In hindsight, I think Seymour regrets feeding him as much as he did.

Magic Pot
11-08-2014, 11:42 AM
I dunno why but FFIX's Abomination always freaked me out a bit.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130627213221/finalfantasy/images/2/2d/Abomination-ffix.png