PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary Remake?

Jinx
10-31-2014, 01:47 AM
In a little less than three years time, FFVII will be 20 years old. I remember at its 10 year everyone wondering if it would be remade. Twenty years seems like a much more appropriate and likely timeframe.

Do you think we'll see a remake for the 20th anniversary? Do you want a remake then, or would you like to see them hold out a while longer?

Slothy
10-31-2014, 01:54 AM
At this point I feel the safest bet is that a remake will never be made. Second safest bet would be that if one does happen it'll be when they've either run out of ideas or are desperate to make a giant hit of a game so they can fill their corporate bank account.

That or we might see one on the 25th anniversary. That seems like one they might really celebrate.

Jinx
10-31-2014, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I personally think 25th would be more likely and probably a better release as well.

Colonel Angus
10-31-2014, 03:59 AM
By then it'll be on the PS6 & XBox 7200.

Carl the Llama
10-31-2014, 08:06 AM
I wants it. I needs it... my precious...

Wolf Kanno
10-31-2014, 09:43 AM
Only so fans would finally shut up about it but frankly I feel not only is 25th a better number but that a remake has more value as a trump card in case SE royally screws up their relationship with the fans. Nothing keeps fans coming back like the out of reach possibility of a remake of their favorite toy...

Loony BoB
10-31-2014, 01:17 PM
I think a remake is more likely when the current generation of graphics quality becomes 'easy' or at the very least affordable. I don't think SE like to commit huge teams to remakes.

I'd also expect a FFVI remake first.

Slothy
10-31-2014, 01:21 PM
That will basically never happen BoB. Not unless they're making it for PC, targeting present day graphics levels, about five years from now. Even as companies get better at developing for consoles, any time and money they save from having that experience gets used up doing more optimizations than they could do before.

Colonel Angus
11-01-2014, 05:37 AM
I'd honestly like to see one change in this game. I'd like a battle system where you could switch out characters a la FFX.

Ayen
11-01-2014, 10:31 AM
With how long they keep claiming it would take to make, I doubt we'd be getting one in the next three years even if they wanted to do it.

Rostum
11-03-2014, 02:08 AM
With how long they keep claiming it would take to make, I doubt we'd be getting one in the next three years even if they wanted to do it.

Those comments were during the Crystal Tools (see really dumb as hell development pipeline) era. Now that they have incredibly more efficient development tools and engine (see the Luminous tech demo with Maya integration, and the latest FFXV open world tech demo, as well as recent company restructuring and business model changes), I'd bet they could easily do it in a typical AAA development timeline and budget.

VeloZer0
11-03-2014, 03:40 AM
Until they actually demonstrate an ability to churn out titles rather than tech demos I will remain skeptical as to how efficient they have actually become.

Skyblade
11-03-2014, 05:07 AM

Those comments were during the Crystal Tools (see really dumb as hell development pipeline) era. Now that they have incredibly more efficient development tools and engine (see the Luminous tech demo with Maya integration, and the latest FFXV open world tech demo, as well as recent company restructuring and business model changes), I'd bet they could easily do it in a typical AAA development timeline and budget.

You mean "look at the era of tech demos and a game that has not seen release after nearly a decade of development" as a sign of efficiency and ability to crank out a quality FFVII remake?

NeoCracker
11-04-2014, 06:46 AM
I'd be down. I may rate FF VII rather low on the FF Quality scale, but I still enjoy it. It would be nice to see the game upgrade it's models. :p

Rostum
11-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Until they actually demonstrate an ability to churn out titles rather than tech demos I will remain skeptical as to how efficient they have actually become.

This is a very different scenario to previous hazy and non-transparent attitude they showed before recent restructuring and tech development.

You mean "look at the era of tech demos and a game that has not seen release after nearly a decade of development" as a sign of efficiency and ability to crank out a quality FFVII remake?

You do realize how recent their restructure, business model change, and technology change has been right? Tech demos and issues with projects before the showcase of the Luminous engine and those recent announcements are irrelevant to any point I was trying to make. The fact that they have actually showcased workflows and pipelines in a lot of detail with Luminous proves my point with how incredibly efficient the engine and their tools (again, just like the Autodesk Maya integration) is from an industry standard. This is coming from someone with game development (see character rigging and animating, as well as 3D sculpting/modelling) that has spent a lot of time in Maya and various engines until recently.

Ayen
11-04-2014, 05:48 PM

Well then. Final Fantasy VII Remake for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
I can already hear the outcry to it being on the Xbox One.

Slothy
11-05-2014, 12:28 PM

This is a very different scenario to previous hazy and non-transparent attitude they showed before recent restructuring and tech development.

You do realize how recent their restructure, business model change, and technology change has been right? Tech demos and issues with projects before the showcase of the Luminous engine and those recent announcements are irrelevant to any point I was trying to make. The fact that they have actually showcased workflows and pipelines in a lot of detail with Luminous proves my point with how incredibly efficient the engine and their tools (again, just like the Autodesk Maya integration) is from an industry standard. This is coming from someone with game development (see character rigging and animating, as well as 3D sculpting/modelling) that has spent a lot of time in Maya and various engines until recently.

It's been more than two years since they demonstrated the Luminous Engine and they've released nothing. Most AAA studios in the west could develop entire games in that amount of time, or at least have a release date in mind. And FFXV, for all of your talk about how good the Luminous Engine is, uses it's own proprietary engine and only shares certain components with Luminous like the lighting. And Kingdom Hearts 3 is using Unreal Engine 4.

So for a company that supposedly has a great engine with a great pipeline and have their shit together, they aren't actually using it which means they don't have their shit together. At all.

Bubba
11-05-2014, 12:57 PM
It will happen at some point. Pretty much guaranteed.

Of course I will buy it. I don't think it will happen on the 20th anniversary though. 25 sounds good to me.

Shiny
11-08-2014, 02:48 AM
For once, they need to give people what they want. We want a high def remake!

Psychotic
11-08-2014, 09:55 AM
They need to suck it up and get it done.

Sephex
11-10-2014, 06:26 AM
A remake would please and displease fans of the game.

Spooniest
11-11-2014, 05:44 PM
We will only see a remake when SE have exhausted all other financial options.

Basically, when they need their trump card, they'll pull it. Not before.

The solution?

If you want a remade FFVII, you must refuse to buy anything else from SE until they agree to make it.

Simple, no? :radred:

black orb
12-08-2014, 04:59 AM
>>> Who cares? the unpleased fans will buy the game too, SE will have their full money bag and then the FF7 fans can bitch at the remake to their hearts` content. Everyone wins.:luca:

Sephex
12-09-2014, 06:06 AM
>>> Who cares? the unpleased fans will buy the game too, SE will have their full money bag and then the FF7 fans can bitch at the remake to their hearts` content. Everyone wins.:luca:

This was a tongue in cheek comment. I am very cynical when it comes to a remake of this game, as well as Square-Enix fans.

Aulayna
12-09-2014, 10:13 AM
I am approximately 49.86% sure it's happening.

Bubba
06-16-2015, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I reckon 20 years is a good round number for the remake.