PDA

View Full Version : Best Film adaptation of a Comic Book Hero

Loony BoB
11-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Go on, fight this out, too. Money is probably on Batman because Batman, but y'never know.

Ayen
11-01-2014, 11:40 AM
It depends on what fits your criteria for "best." If we're talking faithful adaptions, the winner would probably be Watchmen, with them only really botching it by not having the giant squid.

If we're just going by story, entertainment and all that, it's between The Dark Knight, Avengers, and Winter Soldier for me.

Slothy
11-01-2014, 02:29 PM
Yeah, faithfulness would go to Dredd for me. Just plain enjoyable would have been the Dark Knight, but holy shit Marvel's been so good during their second phase. Might have to give it to Winter Soldier.

Raistlin
11-01-2014, 06:45 PM
The Dark Knight will be tough to beat as the best comic book movie ever; "second best" would probably be more of a debate. I have ridiculously high hopes for the Avengers Infinity War series, though, so they will probably be either the best or most crushingly disappointing movies.

Psychotic
11-01-2014, 06:48 PM
Watchmen's opening is an absolutely incredible piece of cinema and that alone takes it for me.

Del Murder
11-02-2014, 03:03 AM
Watchmen was about as faithful as you could have crammed into a single film. But like others, my favorite is the Dark Knight. That one will be hard to top since it transcends 'comic book movie' and is just all around a terrific movie.

Colonel Angus
11-02-2014, 03:22 AM
The Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dark Knight
The Avengers
The Wolverine

I Took the Red Pill
11-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Batman Begins.

Shorty
11-03-2014, 01:30 PM
The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises are the bets to beat for me, and I don't think they will ever be one-upped. I also really enjoy how true to the story Sin City stays, and they did an excellent job at an adaptation, and Watchmen is good stuff too.

Shiny
11-07-2014, 12:13 AM
The Dark Knight

Winter Soldier had too much of Nick Fury.

Shorty
11-07-2014, 12:15 AM
You're goddamn right it did. And it was stupid.

Colonel Angus
11-07-2014, 05:47 AM
:onoes: Too much Nick Fury?

Winter Soldier was a masterpiece.

Shorty
11-07-2014, 06:59 AM
It would have been a masterpiece if there was about 90% less Nick Fury! He's already a centerpiece for the goddamn Avengers movies!

I went in wanting a tsunami of Chris Evans and instead I got Samuel L.'s frowny mug glaring at me on screen for half the duration of the film :colbert:

Ayen
11-07-2014, 10:16 PM
I would side with you, Colonel, but you put The Dark Knight Rises over the Dark Knight. You're on your own on this one.

Forsaken Lover
11-08-2014, 12:19 AM
If we're going with "unpopular" opinions here, I thought The Avengers was pretty boring. Let's get this out of the way -
1. Loki is overplayed. He was good in the first Thor movie, but he was a caricature of himself in The Avengers
2. RDJ's Iron Man is played out. I GET IT, YOU'RE THE SNARKY ONE. IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.
3. There's a EEEEEEEEEEEEEVIL Group of Puppet Masters controlling the World/United States/something. I mean, damn Whedon, could you be any more unoriginal? They were in like shadows too weren't they? On big TV screens? Lame as all hell.

Now...as for best comic-based film, it really frickin' annoys me when everyone forgets The Crow.
OB8uD8FaPXU

Shorty
11-08-2014, 12:28 AM
2. RDJ's Iron Man is played out. I GET IT, YOU'RE THE SNARKY ONE. IT'S NOT FUNNY ANYMORE.

Yes, a thousand times yes. I am fully and 100% forever put off of Iron Man.

But we are fighting because you called Joss Whedon unoriginal. :colbert: What are you referring to? Hydra?

Ayen
11-08-2014, 12:33 AM
RDJ Iron Man is the best.

I didn't even know Crow was a comic book.

Forsaken Lover
11-08-2014, 01:23 AM

Yes, a thousand times yes. I am fully and 100% forever put off of Iron Man.

But we are fighting because you called Joss Whedon unoriginal. :colbert: What are you referring to? Hydra?

I'm referring to when Sam Jackson has a meeting with the talking screens about how they don't want to trust the suerheroes or whatever. From what I remember they had their own DIABOLICAL SCHEME.

I only saw the movie once though when it first came out so mayb eI'm misremembering. I have no desire to see it again.

Ergroilnin
11-08-2014, 04:54 PM
I see RDJ's Iron Man (or RDJ as a whole actually) having split fanbase like Apple products. You either love it or hate it because it's popular to hate it.

I personally love RDJ and his portrayals of characters and Iron Man is no exception. What I would like to hear though is why do you actually dislike RDJ's portrayal of Iron Man? What (or who) would be better in your mind?

Forsaken Lover
11-08-2014, 05:59 PM
I hate him because he's one-note. He's the witty one who constantly makes jokes and reacts to everything in a flippant manner. It gets old after, what, 4 movies?

As for a better actor to play IM, I have no idea. I've never cared for the character anyway.

Far as I'm concerned, Thor was the best MCU film. Thor is awesome.

But I'm a crazy man who thinks Hulk 2003 is better than The Incredible Hulk so you can probably discount my opinion entirely.

Shorty
11-08-2014, 06:01 PM
I hate him because out of all the films to feature him, I have witnessed absolutely zero character development while being stupidly overloaded with the snark gimmick.

Colonel Angus
11-08-2014, 06:20 PM
RDJ is Snarkzilla the Killa. I actually like his Iron Man. IMO he plays the character just right. Glad to see he's going to be the antagonist in the next Captain America film.

I do agree w/ Foresaken Lover that the 2003 Hulk movie was awesome. I never saw the more recent one.

Shorty
11-08-2014, 06:23 PM
RDJ is Snarkzilla the Killa. I actually like his Iron Man. IMO he plays the character just right. Glad to see he's going to be the antagonist in the next Captain America film.

I am pretty stoked for the storyline that the new Cap movie is opening up because it WILL mean some changes for Stark's character. But I'm just so smurfing burnt out on him already that I may not be able to enjoy it.

Rez09
11-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Now...as for best comic-based film, it really frickin' annoys me when everyone forgets The Crow.

Fire it up! Fire it up! Fire it up!
I totally forgot this was a comic book movie, and it's one of my all time favorite films(plus has Micheal Wincott in it for mad bonus points), but I'm still going to have to go with the original Batman. I don't think there is a single movie I quote as much as this one and, after all these years, I'm still not bored with the film.

Sephex
11-10-2014, 09:50 AM
There were many adequate adaptations of a comic book hero to film.

Spooniest
11-11-2014, 05:21 PM
Seph are you assuming the middle ground in every thread you post in by default? :/

The specific question was not "the most faithful superhero movie to the comic," but "the most faithful character to the comic that has been in a superhero movie," unless I'm way off here.

That said, I have to say that in the Avengers movie, particularly, Captain America is portrayed exactly the way I always imagined him. I haven't seen the Winter Soldier, and The First Avenger was kind of an odd period piece, but suitable for the character.

The Dark Knight may be a better movie overall, but Captain America's portrayal, to me, is just more faithful to the comics than Christian Bale's barely-intelligible Batman. I swear I can't understand half the shit he says in that movie.

Sephex
11-15-2014, 04:05 AM
Seph are you assuming the middle ground in every thread you post in by default? :/

No, a few days ago I was upset about something and decided to make a bunch of boring posts to make fun of the situation. Not the smoothest way to go about things, but that's what I did.

Vyk
11-15-2014, 04:39 AM
Yeah, from what I gather, RDJ is a good fit for Iron Man. Doesn't mean if you don't like the character that you'd like RDJ's version of him. Most of the people I know who like Iron Man, also like RDJ's portrayal. Supposedly fairly spot on. I don't really care about Iron Man. Or the lack of RDJ's development of the Iron Man character. From what I've noticed, character development is extremely rare in most comic arcs. It's usually just problem -> solution. Once in a while characters develop. But its the exception rather than the norm. Which is understandable. These things go on for decades. It'd be hard to continually evolve dozens, if not hundreds of characters if you're the creator, or a group working on the same stuff all the time. It's just the way the game is played