PDA

View Full Version : SaGa Frontier, or "Diary of the Impulse Buyer"

Edge7
11-03-2014, 10:21 PM
So, I was in a Game Shop earlier today and, as the title would imply, I happened upon a copy of SaGa frontier for about 25 dollars. Now, I had already heard of the game, and had no interest in the series, but seeing it there physically made me want to try it out. So, when I get the chance to play it, I'll update a game journal for this cult classic.

Before that; here's what little I DO know about the game:

I'm aware that the games aren't particularly story-driven, and that the entire world is open from the start. While initially this sounded suspect, I feel like that could give the game a larger emphasis on lore over narrative, which is something I like in RPGs.

The artwork is good. I mean REALLY good. To say nothing of the sprite work in the sequel (of which I have seen on the demo disc included with Vagrant Story); I'm always a sucker for good artwork in my JRPGs.

...and that's about it really. I'm kinda excited, and kinda nervous to see how this game turns out!

theundeadhero
11-04-2014, 04:17 AM
It's a pretty neat game. You get to choose which main character you want to play and then see their story. As you do more of them, you get to see how they all inter-connect into a larger overall story.

Rez09
11-04-2014, 04:44 AM
Personal recommendation, do not start with Lute. His story is far and away the most open ended and it is possible to stumble into the final dungeon right at the start of the game. Red's story is also notable for being particularly tough for a first playthrough, so I'd put that off for a bit.

Edge7
11-04-2014, 10:53 PM
After starting Emelia's story and not knowing where the Hell to go, I decided to start with the Robot's story (whom I have named "Robo" after the Chrono Trigger character.

So, we have Thyme, Rosemary, and... Uncle Taco? The hell? (Like, takoyaki?)

Rez09
11-05-2014, 06:29 PM
T260G has a pretty spiffy story mode and the best last boss in the game. :D

escobert
11-05-2014, 11:58 PM
1 & 2 are probably my favorite RPGs of all time. I hope you enjoy it :)

Edge7
11-06-2014, 04:09 AM
So I've made it past the first dungeon. Gen is like, super cool. I've never been able to play as a drunken master swordfighter who is now on his way to becoming a firearms expert (one of the highlights of this game, I suppose). The scene in which T260G (from here on referred to as RoboG, because Uncle Taco is a git) has to rewrite his priorities to rescue Thyme was seriously awesome. I can see why a lot of people like his scenario.

I'm in the second town now (RoboG's story seems a lot more linear than Emelia's, or is it just me?), and I've gotten Riki and his traveling companion. Beastkin, or whatever they're called in SaGa are REALLY weird.

Rez09
11-06-2014, 05:19 AM
Yeah, monsters are pretty all over the place and it can be difficult to get them just the right skills while maintaining a form you like as well.

From what you are saying it sounds like you have just arrived in Junk, which is where the game opens up for T260, so you should be able to start flying around and exploring soon!
\ ^_^ /

Ayen
11-06-2014, 06:38 AM
They have old PS1 games at this game shop? Gimmie!

I never played any of the SaGa games. I'm only familiar with the first couple being renamed "Final Fantasy Legends" in order to boost sales. Not really all that interested to try them out.

Rez09
11-06-2014, 07:04 AM
They certainly aren't for everyone, and even within the series there's a lot of diversity from game to game, so even if you found one you liked you may not find another one you do. I still wish there were more, though. :'(

Jowy
11-14-2014, 03:51 AM
Go to the junk shop in Scrap, pay the admission to root around for three pieces of equipment. Go to the lizards behind the register again and attempt to sell a Hyperion Bazooka (even though you don't have one). When it makes the "bzzt" noise, go back into the junk pile and start looting. The items get better on each pass so after about forty minutes you'll be totally outfitted with some ballin' equipment. You can sell the weaker swords in Shrike at the robotics plant.

Edge7
11-14-2014, 04:30 AM
Thanks Jowy, that's good to know!

Jowy
11-14-2014, 05:49 AM
I'd keep swords on Gen too, honestly. You're gonna want at least two to three sword-swingers and he's one of the best. You're able to pick up Annie at some point too and she's pretty clutch too. Leave the guns to Emelia and Mei-ling.

Edge7
11-14-2014, 06:29 AM
Yeah, I have no intention of him primarily using guns

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-14-2014, 08:53 AM
Asellus is my favorite character to choose. I like that her quest has multiple endings and the area you start out in is mesmerizing. This game is great, even though it isn't complete. It turns out there was a character named Fuse that was never finished, you can find remnants of unfinished material on the disc.

The fan art and cosplay people make for this game is phenomenal.

Rez09
11-15-2014, 01:02 AM
Yeah, it's too bad development got rushed along like it did near the end, as you can really feel how incomplete the game is in some areas. There's an incomplete school of magic, Fuse's removed chapter you mentioned, tons of deleted story scenes and areas, ect. Considering how good the game is even with those elements missing, one would have to wonder just how much better it would have been if the developers had been able to fully complete it. :( It's rather sad people like Virgil aren't really explored in the game, with only Riki having any notable interaction with him, which is pretty nuts considering he's one of the most powerful characters in that universe.

Also, For a fun read (http://tcrf.net/SaGa_Frontier). :)

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-15-2014, 07:26 AM

Jowy
11-15-2014, 07:29 AM
the help line would say not to play as Lute until you're 6/7 deep!

Jowy
11-15-2014, 08:12 AM
double yet relevant post:

Emelia
T260G
Asellus
Red
Riki
Blue
Lute

This is the order to play through to minimize difficulty and have some awareness as to how the game transpires. Riki is proof that monsters have always been the most difficult characters in SaGa games to master. Blue's an asshole. Lute's story involves around accidentally walking into the final dungeon.

Don't smurf around in Baccarat with Emelia...get out as soon as possible. You probably can't kill the boss with her, Annie, and Liza. Nor will that get you the good ending if you do. Emilia's also got the best story aside from her inability to function with mecs. Roufas, Zozma, Annie, and Liza?! smurf me, Diva's gonna die in eight turns (you suck if it takes longer!)

TURBO EDIT:

Emelia will pick up LifeSprinkler and RosarioImpale faster than Annie. I'm not saying to take the LaserKnife away from her in Despair, but grab a weapon ASAP. Focus Annie on learning katana skills alongside her easily acquired swordskill.

I DIDN'T GET THE GIFT FOR TIME MAGIC LIKE AN INTELLIGENT PERSON UNLESS I AM BLUE EDIT:

let kylin die. time magic sucks aside from Overdrive which only Blue can use. space magic is even worse. Give your A+ squad the gifts for Light and Runic. Dark magic has one decent spell and Arcane is only relevant if you wanna drain all of your JP to do as much damage as a DSC and/or LifeSprinkler in one turn (Tower; gifted). Only the mystics can magic their relatively useless school of magic, Blue/Rouge can only be gifted in Realm, and Zozma is the only bad-ass motha-smurfa to have the gift of EVIL MAGIC!

regardless, just train two people for LifeSprinkler, one for Dream Super Combo, and the other two to do what the fuck ever. Keep heals on hand.

Pete for President
11-15-2014, 09:28 AM
This game sounds intriguing.

Rez09
11-15-2014, 09:30 AM
double yet relevant post:

Emelia
T260G
Asellus
Red
Riki
Blue
Lute

This is the order to play through to minimize difficulty and have some awareness as to how the game transpires. Riki is proof that monsters have always been the most difficult characters in SaGa games to master. Blue's an asshole. Lute's story involves around accidentally walking into the final dungeon.

Personally, I'd start with Blue over Emelia, as his story will run the player through all of the main quests that repeat with other characters and the bonuses he gets for completing his mission make for the smoothest end game of the main cast. Lute last though, 100% agree on that one. Stupid Captain Hamilton. >_<

Don't smurf around in Baccarat with Emelia...get out as soon as possible. You probably can't kill the boss with her, Annie, and Liza. Nor will that get you the good ending if you do. Emilia's also got the best story aside from her inability to function with mecs. Roufas, Zozma, Annie, and Liza?! smurf me, Diva's gonna die in eight turns (you suck if it takes longer!)

Man, Emelia was the character I started with when I got the game and I was stuck in Baccarat for soooo long. X_X I knew there was something to avoid with her, but I forgot what it was, so that is REALLY good advice.

. . . time magic sucks aside from Overdrive which only Blue can use. . .

I dunno, I've always found time magic completely busted. Time Leap works on every enemy in the game, including bosses, and rarely misses, meaning nothing ever gets a turn if the caster is faster than it, and Time Twister stacks with Shadow Servant, as I recall, allowing people to attack four times a turn, which is pretty insane, especially if they are Soul Rune, Awakening, Tower, or (assuming no servant) DSC or Light Sword.

EDIT: Pete, this game is all kinds of awesome and you should try it. :)

Jowy
12-02-2014, 04:47 PM
This game sounds intriguing.

I think you'd like it. If you're gonna emulate it, be sure to use memory card slot 2. (ePSXe and psX will freeze if your save file is in slot 1). Start with Emelia to learn the basics, and then take the training wheels off and pick anyone but Lute.

Blue's story is the least enjoyable and best recommended after learning the gameplay mechanics. That and he's an asshole. :)

Never bothered with Tower or most arcane magic...it seems like a waste of JP; I'd rather use Runic magic to buff all of my stats and proceed to steamroll with LifeSprinkler / RosarioImpale / DSC.