PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Tumblr themes

NorthernChaosGod
11-05-2014, 05:34 AM
Hi, I just want help blocking people's Tumblr themes because the majority of them are annoying. I have Adblock Plus and NoScript installed, but am struggling to find a way to just disable all the nonsense people put on their blogs. I specifically would like to block them from changing my mouse pointer, the opacity thing with hovering over pictures, and annoying frames. Is this possible?

Vyk
11-07-2014, 04:17 AM
I'm surprised NoScript doesn't give you the option. I haven't used it, but it sounds like those pages are using CSS and/or JavaScript. I'm pretty sure there's some HTLM tags that let you do some of that crap, but barely anyone uses them anymore. Are you running NoScript in a default fashion, or have you tried to actually go into the options and see if it will let you set stricter rulesets for those pages?

For example with AdBlock, you can get pretty specific and tell it to block ads from certain subdomains, or allow ads for a specific page on a site and stuff like that

I would presume NoScript would let you choose to block CSS and JavaScript as well as any advertisement scripts or XML or whatever else it may be designed to do by default

I'm no real techie, and it's been years since I was into web design. And my ignorance as to how NoScript actually functions sort of hampers my usefulness. But since nobody else has replied, I'm just assuming this sort of thing is what NoScript was designed to do. It may just need to be told to be more strict

Hope that helps. Though I think the last time I played with Chrome's settings, I thought I had seen options for even Chrome to be told not to run scripts on specified pages. Whatever browser you're using (guessing Firefox) may have options available for you to manually block scripts on specific pages without third-party support. But again, I could be wrong

Edit: Been a while since I looked under my browser's hood. And apparently there's only options to block JavaScript for specific sites. I can't find anything regarding CSS blocking. Which is the more likely culprit.. If all else fails, you may be able to find a secondary extension for your browser that is designed with CSS blocking in mind if NoScript is failing to be useful in that regard

PS Edit: It may be useful to know that JavaScript blocking was under privacy settings for me. They're kinda hidden. Not sure how other browsers treat it. I had to google it to find it again lol

NorthernChaosGod
11-07-2014, 07:58 AM
I tried messing around with NoScript and ABP for about 30-40 minutes before I even turned to Google for an answer. I came here after I didn't find an answer on the first or second page. :/

blackmage_nuke
11-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Not really what you're looking for but if find a tumblr theme too irritating to navigate I just go

nameoftumblr.tumblr.com/archive

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2014, 08:22 PM
That does actually make things a bit better. Thanks.

blackmage_nuke
11-11-2014, 03:24 AM
The only problem is I don't see difference between an image and an image set in archive mode so what might seem like a lone bland image is actually the first of a great image set. So if anything looks mildly interesting in any way I have to click it to see if it gets more interesting or if its just a meh by itself