PDA

View Full Version : Best first FF Boss

Omni-Odin
11-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Ok, so I just wanted to get an opinion. We always talk about final bosses. What about first bosses. Which game's first boss kicked the game off right? Which boss left the lasting impression on you through the game. You decide!!!

Rez09
11-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Well, quickly running through the ones I remember:

FF1: Garland is a frill-less boss that is little more than a basic enemy.

FF2: The Sergeant suffers from the same situation.

FF3: The Land Turtle as well.

FF4: The Mist Dragon was a pretty great first fight since it had a gimmick to it that made the fight more than mindless whacking with pointed sticks, and then you feel like a bad person when you see what you have done. Q_Q

FF5: The bird thing, I think, has a gimmick to it as well, but I've never noticed a downside to repeatedly slapping it until it dies.

FF6: Whelk was cool because you had a bunch of skills to mess around with, not that which you used really mattered, and you had to employ some basic tactics in the fight. Then everyone died. Except for you. Because you had plot importance. ;)

FF7: The Guard Scorpion fight was about on par with the past three first bosses, but I don't particularly like it for whatever reason. It did feel nice and rewarding to unleash your limits on it, though.

FF8: Ifrit is . . . meh. I think I was supposed to feel badass taking down Ifrit so early, but, really, the fight is the same kind of dull mindless whacking I didn't think highly of in the first three games. Now, if the X-ATM had been the first boss, this'd be my first pick by a landslide. <3

FF9: Isn't Baku the first boss in this game? And, like, the first encounter too? Super tutorial fight, but I don't really think that poorly of it, since it rewards the player for stealing from him instead of just pummeling him right off the bat. Something interestingly true for most of FF9 when I think about it.

FFX: I think the first boss here is with Auron in Zanarkand, right? And you just, like, mindlessly attack things and can't lose. Kind of like the last boss fight. ._. Pretty dull.

FFXII: I actually forgot the first boss in this game existed, but that's because I often forget Reks exists. I have good things to say about Firemane too, which is too bad since he doesn't count, but the Remora is completely forgettable attack mash. Boo.

FFMQ: The Behemoth boss I . . . can't hate. I love that it seems completely random if I win the fight or not, and I always get a laugh out of its damaged sprites. Actually one of my favorite first bosses.

FF Tactics: Wasn't . . . Algus technically the first boss? Or were only the Zodiac demons really bosses? It's been so long I don't even remember, but I'm sure someone else does and will correct me. :) Anyway, I remember Algus, and I hated him, so if he was the first boss, he's probably one of the best since I had an emotional investment in smacking him down. >: o

I haven't played X-2 or XIII, so I have no opinion on bosses from those games.

Soooooo, out of the ones I remembered . . . my pick goes to the Mist Dragon from IV: the fight has more than mindless attacking to it and provides one of the best 'you done goofed' moments in the series after you win it. Whelk is a solid runner up for similar reasons. I'd have considered selecting the Behemoth in FFMQ but there isn't anything tactical about the fight, it just amuses me, and I'd vote Algus if I wasn't so super sure I'm wrong about him being the first boss.

VeloZer0
11-06-2014, 01:13 AM
If you are going by encounters that you have to defeat character 'x' to win then Milleuda would be the first boss of FFT.

I'm going to vote Garland, he is the least throwawayable (yes, I made that one word) of all the bosses. I mean, having the first boss and the last boss be the same thing is kind of cool.

fat_moogle
11-06-2014, 01:28 AM
Another vote here for the Guard Scorpion. You know, in the one where you play as a white lead and a black male party member with a gun.

Oh yeah! VII and XIII. FFVII was my first FF and fighting that boss for the first time was great. It's definitely the most memorable for me. Also with XIII my hype for the game was sky high so of course I loved the first boss! Sure there was nothing fancy about it but it was basically a remake of the first boss in VII and made me a bit nostalgic :D

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-06-2014, 02:28 AM
IX has you take on your first boss before the opening credits are done and you can steal a Mage Masher while you're at it :monster:

Ayen
11-06-2014, 03:12 AM
Guard Scorpion all the way.

Cloud: Barret, look out! Attack when its tail is up--
Barret: Got it! *attacks*
Cloud: NO!
Guard Scorpion: *blast the smurf out of Barret*
Barret: *KO!*
Cloud: Could I have phrased that better? Nah.

metagloria
11-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Guard Scorpion and it's not close. Hearing that battle music for the first time...oh man.

Wolf Kanno
11-06-2014, 07:13 PM
Either Garland or the Mist Dragon for most of the reasons already stated.

Never cared for Guard Scorpion seeing how he was a blatant rip-off of the Whelk fight from VI. the fights from II, III, and V are forgettable. Ifrit is kind of a joke of a fight even with the timer. IX's first proper boss is actually the Rafflesia boss which was pretty clever but the auto-Trance for the fight made it a cinch, X-XIII all have forgettable first bosses.

So I guess what I'm saying is that I prefer having my first boss actually have some connection to the plot and story.

VeloZer0
11-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Guard Scorpion and it's not close. Hearing that battle music for the first time...oh man.
It would have been better if they had the actual boss music rather than saving it for Air Buster.

Depression Moon
11-06-2014, 11:15 PM
IX has you take on your first boss before the opening credits are done and you can steal a Mage Masher while you're at it :monster:

Is that really a boss fight? I considered the plant creature that kidnaps Garnet as the first boss of the game. I honestly don't think that any of the games first bosses are special out of the ones I've played. I can't even remember what the first ones were in III, IV, V, VI, and XII.

Rez09
11-06-2014, 11:31 PM
60367 Gruuu... ...

Depression Moon
11-06-2014, 11:39 PM
I'm going to take a guess and say that was the first boss from VI?

Rez09
11-06-2014, 11:41 PM
Yep, in all his mighty snail glory. :)

metagloria
11-07-2014, 08:53 PM
It would have been better if they had the actual boss music rather than saving it for Air Buster.

Oh...my bad. I thought it was the actual boss music. I guess 16 times through the game weren't enough...

Magic Pot
11-08-2014, 11:40 AM
Guard Scorpion gets my vote too, if only for the botched-ish translation and the fact that the Bombing Theme is possibly my favourite FF tune of all time.