PDA

View Full Version : A bit dissapointed

Pumpkin
11-06-2014, 09:08 PM
So I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed with FFVI.

I played it once not very far in, and then I played it again and finished it a while ago. I'm replaying it for my games list because I remember loving the characters and the customization (choosing who learns what via espers) but the rest didn't stick out. So I'm replaying it now and..... eh

I still think its a very strong ensemble, I have several characters I really enjoy, but the game feels so bleak and heavy. The backgrounds are kind of drab, the gameplay isn't really anything special and the espers come in pretty late considering they're the main source of customization (I was level 19 by the time I got my first 4) and the story has potential but doesn't really grab me.

That being said, its still a good game or I would have stopped playing it by now, I suppose I was just expecting more from what is considered one of the greatest FF games ever

Discuss the things I listed and tell me how wrong I am about everything :monster:

Loony BoB
11-06-2014, 09:15 PM
I think I'm in a similar boat to you. I really love a number of the characters, and most things were okay, but overall I just didn't really love the game itself. Nothing quite tied up right for me. It didn't help that I had no love for Terra at all, she annoyed me more than anything. I can appreciate the game but it's just not an all time fave.

Vyk
11-06-2014, 09:34 PM
Some of that may be key. I adored Terra for some reason. I also adored Locke, and Sabin, and Cyan, and Edgar. A good portion of the most prominent of the main cast. I'm also one of those people who wholeheartedly approve of Kefka

But I suppose like all great games of days gone by, its probably better represented in context of the times, rather than in comparison to other great games that have come along since then. Certainly things have been better expanded by now. The big thing for me is that I can't think of any games before VI that did anything nearly to the degree that it did

And I can see how the bleak dystopian flair may set people off. It is a depressing setting and a depressing story. I for one loved it for that, but it may not be for everyone. I love dystopia settings. I love steampunk. I love when creators manage to do the impossible and build a world where science and magic can co-exist in a believable and cohesive fashion

Pumpkin
11-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Yeah I've never been huge on steampunk so that might be why I have yet to find even one area I like in the game. I'm still not that far yet but considering I can't even remember the areas from when I last played, I don't have high hopes.

I seem to like games that are brighter. Looks wise I mean. Majora's Mask is one of my favourite games ever and that story is downright depressing, especially if you think about it too hard. But the visuals are still bright. Same thing with FFIX. That seems to be my thing I guess. Sad stories in bright settings. Maybe I like the contrast or something

Wolf Kanno
11-07-2014, 03:34 AM
The Esper system was always something that could have been handled better, I feel they were simply trying to avoid stat maxing issues from FFII. It was more impressive in 94 than it is now and I'm understanding that it really isn't appealing for most.

I actually love the dark setting and appeal but I adore dystopian stories and the heaviness of the game is something I really love about it because there really wasn't many games that had that feeling back then that wasn't Japan only and even then it's a short list. It was also the first FF to really be hot and heavy with character driven moments. VI's plot is interesting but not much happens to make it compelling on its own. It's the party's personal journey that is the heart of the story and if you can't stomach the game's apocalyptic setting, then you might miss out on their triumphs. One of the game's central themes is finding hope and a reason to live in the bleakest of places.

With all that said, there is nothing wrong not liking the game, we all have our own taste and some things jive more for us than others and when it comes to classic gaming, sometimes it's the setting of our impressionable minds that make it feel grander than the game really is. So don't feel bad about feeling disappointed with it, but understand I'll probably tease you about it like I do with BoB and Bolivar. :wcanoe:

Pumpkin
11-07-2014, 04:04 AM
Like I said, I don't dislike it, I just was expecting to live it a lot more than I do

Vyk
11-07-2014, 04:38 AM
This makes me try to find or remember the brightest darkest game out there lol I'd be intrigued by the contrast of bright cartoony characters fighting against torture and mutilations or something

Corpse Party springs to mind xD

Sorry for the off-topic

Bubba
11-07-2014, 12:46 PM
But I suppose like all great games of days gone by, its probably better represented in context of the times, rather than in comparison to other great games that have come along since then. Certainly things have been better expanded by now. The big thing for me is that I can't think of any games before VI that did anything nearly to the degree that it did

This is absolutely true.

I only played this game a couple of years ago and I absolutely loved it. It's one of my big regrets that I didn't play this back in 1994 as I feel it would have had more of an impact than any other FF game. That honour though, still rests with FFVII.

Psychotic
11-07-2014, 05:22 PM
I really like it and it's a fun FF, though I find it best to ignore the oversensationalist hype that comes with it. I think both this and VII are put on pedestals by its respective fanbase and as both games get older and older they find it increasingly hard to live up to the nostalgic vision that its fans have painted - particularly to first timers.

Still a fun charming adventure though.

Edge7
11-07-2014, 07:28 PM
Yeah, both this game and VII have suffered tremendously from nostalgia. I'm currently at Vector in my current playthrough, and while I love the game, I don't think things got really cool until Terra rejoins the party (when you have a ton of Espers at your disposal). That being said, I do love all the characters and how they have their own signature fighting styles in addition to being customizable in regards to magic. I also remember fondly toying around with Relic combinations. I guess what makes FFVI really special is how many incredible set pieces it had for such an early game. The opening credits, the Phantom Train, Fighting off Kefka at the Narshe mines, a Submersible Castle, An entire city of liars and thieves, not to mention the entire World of Ruin (which I'm beginning to realize is the highlight of the game for me, which is a shame because it happens so late).

All that being said, it's not the most engaging title in the series, at least not in my opinion. I admit that I feel like VII and V might have better gameplay due to their freedom of customization.

Ayen
11-07-2014, 10:03 PM
This is what happens when something is hyped to ridiculously high levels until it can't live up to it no matter how good it actually is.

I mean, you are objectively and morally wrong. Go to your room and think about what you've done.

Spooniest
11-30-2014, 03:45 AM
I think you might try the SNES version? If you haven't already?

It's much easier on the eyes and ears.

Note - I remember harboring similar feelings after having beaten the game for the first time...I kinda wish they'd gone into more detail about what happened after that. Apparently the point of the game is that killing Kefka just makes everything better?

Pumpkin
11-30-2014, 03:50 AM
That is the version I was playing :monster:

Vyk
11-30-2014, 04:14 AM
Well taking out a megalomaniacal nihilistic sociopath for a world-controlling dictator is bound to make any existence better xD I liked the bitter-sweet kinda cliff-hanger'y thing where all the magic and esperism was taken and people were just kinda left to their own devices. So it's up to our imagination as to what happened. But I imagine it was just boring normal restructuring and recuperating as life goes on. Without murderous psychos paving the way

Spooniest
12-01-2014, 02:21 PM
That is the version I was playing :monster:

Oh.

Well, then why not try the GBA version? Got a totally redone script, it does, and lots of extra dungeons and junk. Plus if you use an emulator, the Codebreaker code 32002F37 00FF will give you level 99 after one battle. :D

metagloria
12-02-2014, 04:32 PM
It's one of my bottom five FFs. I'm totally with you on pretty much everything you said.

chionos
12-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I admit it. I'm one of those annoying bastards who overhype this game. Part of that is just for fun. Part of it is that I genuinely enjoyed the fuck out of this game back in the day. It still has some of the best music, and I still love the characters. I doubt there will ever be a cast I love as much as FFVI's. The gameplay doesn't stack up compared to a lot of other FF's that came after, but for the time it was near perfect (imo).

Has EoFF ever charted everyone's first FF vs. their favorite FF? I'd love to see a spreadsheet on EoFF favorites vs. EoFF firsts. Why hasn't BoB done this? FFVI was the first FF for a lot of people, and FFVII likewise was a first for a lot of people, so a lot of a lot of people have special memories of those games.

In the end, you shouldn't feel bad, shion, or you either BoB, for having a horrible wrong opinion of a great game. It's not your fault. ;)