PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory Thanksgiving Thread

noxious.sunshine
11-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Turkey Day is right around the corner.

Are you traveling? Staying home? Maybe have friends over instead of family for whatever reason?

Jay and I are driving to Texas so that we can be with our families. I'm dreading it. It's 22 miles to my dad and an additional 4 to Dallas where his sister lives. I know I'm the daughter of truck drivers, but it's been ages since I've gone on a trip this long. Especially with the short time frame we have.

But anywho. I'll be with my dad and we're taking Penny and picking up my girl along the way. I'm hoping to cook for my dad and everyone, but we'll see how it goes. My dad will probably insist on picking up an already put together boxed Turkey dinner. Plus his oven isn't that big. Idk.

Shorty
11-07-2014, 06:35 PM
I thought two of my sisters would be coming home this year, but I guess not. It will be my mom, stepdad, and my third sister. And then I will go to my second sister's in-laws for boozy Thanksgiving. Nothing too big or special, but lots of delicious food.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-07-2014, 06:38 PM
I'll be at work most likely and get to eat leftovers later.

Psychotic
11-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Here's John Wayne at the First Thanksgiving. Happy Thanksgiving, Pilgrims.

Pumpkin
11-07-2014, 08:35 PM
I had thanksgiving in october. I celebrated by forgetting it was thanksgiving. Fun times were had by everyone

Slothy
11-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Happy fake thanksgiving Americans. Always late to the party.

Ayen
11-07-2014, 08:47 PM
I really should start traveling to Canada in October so I can have Thanksgiving twice.

No plans. Just staying home per usual. I look forward to the day I can have dressing and mashed potatoes.

Freya
11-07-2014, 09:10 PM
No plans to go anywhere besides the family here in town. Thinking about making my double layer pumpkin cheesecake again though.

Slothy
11-07-2014, 09:24 PM
I really should start traveling to Canada in October so I can have Thanksgiving twice.

Celebrating thanksgiving in October is a lot better than celebrating a man responsible for the genocide and enslavement of indigenous peoples.

Ayen
11-07-2014, 09:33 PM

Celebrating thanksgiving in October is a lot better than celebrating a man responsible for the genocide and enslavement of indigenous peoples.

We're not allowed to talk about that.

Shiny
11-08-2014, 02:46 AM

What do you mean "man"? It was multiple people responsible and they were probably your ancestors.

I'm going to be with family for Thanksgiving as usual. Hopefully my boyfriend will be able to come to dinner too. I look forward to Thanksgiving because it's one of the few times I get to eat be at dinner table with my family to eat a great meal and play board games.

Sephex
11-08-2014, 02:56 AM
sigh

*closes thread*

Colonel Angus
11-08-2014, 03:09 AM
I love Turkey Day! I even changed my profile pic for the occasion:

http://home.eyesonff.com/user/photo/profilepic39814_10.gif

Slothy
11-08-2014, 03:24 AM

What do you mean "man"? It was multiple people responsible and they were probably your ancestors.

Of course it was more than one man that did it, but it's pretty easy to peg Columbus as one of the ones most directly responsible when he stumbled upon North America and decided to enslave people and ship them off when he didn't find any gold. To say nothing of the people he personally ordered killed if they didn't bring him enough gold later on when his investors were a bit upset at most of the slaves dying in captivity.

And if some of the people killing natives over the past few hundred years were my ancestors (and I'm reasonably certain none of the people that came with Columbus or directly supported him were, but the English alone have enough blood on their hands that that doesn't matter) then so what? I wouldn't celebrate any of those assholes either. And if you're arguing I wouldn't exist without them doing it then that's fairly obvious, but it doesn't mean I feel proud of that on any level.

I'm simply not sure what the hell you're trying to get at here.

Shiny
11-08-2014, 03:41 AM
I'm sorry, are you saying something important? No? Okay then, move it along.

Shlup
11-08-2014, 04:05 AM
Of course it was more than one man that did it, but it's pretty easy to peg Columbus as one of the ones most directly responsible when he stumbled upon North America and decided to enslave people and ship them off when he didn't find any gold.
American Thanksgiving celebrates the joining of cultures between the pilgrims that landed at Plymouth Rock and the local natives because they wouldn't've survived the winter without the natives. The events you're describing (Columbus's raiding) was almost 200 years prior. I'm sure you could find a connection between the two, but without Columbus I think it's likely Europe would've begun to colonize North America sometime in that 200 year span.

Different holidays, dude.

Not that you can't grouse about the mass slaughter of indigenous people regardless.

As for the original topic: I have no idea if I'll even have the day off work. If I do, I'll be at my in-laws', where dinner is large and very festive. Last year I missed a proper dinner because I had a fussy overstimulated baby on my boob, trying to unwind her.

Arc_Master_14
11-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Driving six hours to have dinner with my family. I really don't want to go.

Last year I had Thanksgiving at my gf's place with her parents and it was so much more enjoyable and lax, but she is abroad in Scotland right now so that isn't an option. I really have stopped enjoying anytime around my family because I can really see how insane they are with a comparison.

I have to run around between two different dinner's because my mom and dad's family don't get along. My dad's side is ultra religious and shoves their beliefs down your throat and it pisses me off. My mom's side is really overbearing and just shoves themselves on me. The only reason I'm going home is because I miss my grandparents, one grandma is really sick and the others I haven''t seen in months since they travel so much. Also I miss my best friend and pumpkin pie is my favorite thing.

Loony BoB
11-08-2014, 09:38 AM
I live in the UK. We ain't thankful for nothin' but being able to complain! :D

Kalen
11-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Working in the ER. Hopefully no one tries to fry a turkey again. :lol::cry:

Colonel Angus
11-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Do you guys have any holidays based around just food?

I know Thanksgiving is supposed to celebrate the Pilgrims and Natives getting along for a dinner, but really we just still do it to stuff ourselves.

Shauna
11-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Do you guys have any holidays based around just food?

Uhhh... Christmas...? I think that's it, really.

Bubba
11-09-2014, 12:24 AM
Nothing too big or special

I'll be at work

No plans.

No plans to go anywhere

I have no idea if I'll even have the day off work.

dinner with my family. I really don't want to go.

Working in the ER.

It's lovely to see this iconic American holiday celebrated with such gusto and enthusiasm. Enjoy yourselves, you crazy cats!

noxious.sunshine
11-09-2014, 06:01 AM
I am doing a small Thanksgiving Dinner for us and our roommate. I think I'm gonna do Rachel Ray's Thanksgiving in an hour with just a bone in turkey breast and some sides. Yay!

Denmark
11-09-2014, 06:15 AM
deliberately decided to work the day after in order to not have to do any family things (since any family things are a several-hour drive away)

i think we're gonna order some food from a place so as to not have to cook our own food

also i just love the non-american supremacy that continually shows up on the internet! that shit never gets old!

Mirage
11-09-2014, 11:11 AM
I'll be doing what I always do on thanksgiving.