PDA

View Full Version : The Thread of Holiday Foods, Desserts and Beverages You Look Forward To All Year

Shorty
11-07-2014, 06:42 PM
It's that time of year, folks. CANDY CANE ICE CREAM AAAAAAAAH

http://www.sheletthemeatcake.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/dec3a.jpg

I also really enjoy eggnog with brandy in small doses, and since it's been cold again I've been craving mulled wine.

What holiday yummies do you look forward to all year? It doesn't just have to be holiday-specific stuff! I tend to like milky booze drinks like Brandy Alexanders more during this time of year, too, same with baked pies and hot desserts.

Out with your food, nerds!

Shauna
11-07-2014, 06:59 PM
I look forward to getting all sorts of weird stuff from Lidl. Imported Christmas treats from Germany? Yes plz.

noxious.sunshine
11-07-2014, 09:39 PM
Cheeseball. Bacon wrapped walnuts. I think I'm going to try making like little treat bags of snacks for people. Like send a batch of my mom's fudge with some other homemade goodies to Jay-Z sister and brother in law.

But. IDK.

I need for my little sister to get her mom to give me her recipe for tamales. I miss that tradition of spending 4 hours making the filling and assembling the tamales with friends/family. And then having a bajillion. And then that's all you eat for a month. XD They do it for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and NYE lol

Colonel Angus
11-08-2014, 05:58 AM
Egg Nog
Jingles Cookies

Night Fury
11-08-2014, 06:10 AM
Christmas cake. I'm gonna make a few of them this year as gifts I think, I don't know what I'm more excited about - decorating them or eating them.

Pumpkin
11-08-2014, 06:15 AM
EGGNOGGGGG

Loony BoB
11-08-2014, 09:41 AM
I can't actually think of any food that I look forward to that is only generally eaten during a certain kind of celebration. D:

MissH
11-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Pigs in blankets!!! And smoked salmon mousse- nomnomnommmmm

Bubba
11-11-2014, 04:06 PM
Pigs in blankets!!!

The greatest festive treat of all time.

EGGNOGGGGG

What the hell is eggnog? I've heard it referenced but have no idea what it is.

Pumpkin
11-11-2014, 04:08 PM
It is nog of egg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggnog

I never have mine with alcohol though

Shorty
11-11-2014, 04:12 PM
I freaking love eggnog with rum and or brandy. Bubba, you should look for it!

Anything that has that lovely cinnamon clove spice flavor I love when it gets cold. Coffee cake, banana bread, cinnamon cupcakes. Give it all to me.

Bubba
11-11-2014, 04:13 PM
Yeah I checked Wiki but I need more than that. Milk and egg? It might as well be an uncooked omelette with sugar added.

Tell me more about this thing called "eggnog with alcohol".

Pumpkin
11-11-2014, 04:15 PM
Its like... thicker, creamier milk. Almost like a cakey milk if that makes sense...? That's the regular eggnog though

Shorty
11-11-2014, 04:19 PM
She's right, it's a thick creamy milky sweet rich drink with cinnamon and nutmeg flavors. Emphasis on rich. We always add cinnamon to ours, but it's not listed here for some reason.

Alton Brown has a recipe for you. (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2.html)

Ingredients:
4 egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 pint whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
3 ounces bourbon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 egg whites

Directions:
In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Add the milk, cream, bourbon and nutmeg and stir to combine.

Place the egg whites in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat to soft peaks. With the mixer still running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

Whisk the egg whites into the mixture. Chill and serve.

Cook's Note: For cooked eggnog, follow procedure below.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the 1/3 cup sugar and continue to beat until it is completely dissolved. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, over high heat, combine the milk, heavy cream and nutmeg and bring just to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and gradually temper the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Then return everything to the pot and cook until the mixture reaches 160 degrees F. Remove from the heat, stir in the bourbon, pour into a medium mixing bowl, and set in the refrigerator to chill.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. With the mixer running gradually add the 1 tablespoon of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whisk the egg whites into the chilled mixture.

I don't really know what the difference is between cooked eggnog vs. uncooked, but I'm guessing it cultivates the flavor more. Eggnog should be served cold.

sharkythesharkdogg
11-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Eggnog, deviled eggs, and cranberry sauce. I guess those last two aren't totally seasonal, but I really don't see them until this time of year.