PDA

View Full Version : Good point and click games

Freya
11-08-2014, 04:59 PM
I really freaking love them. Well any of these type of games. I recently finished broken age and it was fabulous, can't wait til episode two. The telltale games are great too. I have a few older ones I haven't played much on. I never really gave myst a decent try....

Anyone have any good suggestions for these type of games?

Bubba
11-08-2014, 06:31 PM
There are some classic point and click games from the 80's and 90's. Obvious choices are Broken Sword, Secret of Monkey Island... I really like Sam and Max Hit The Road and Day of the Tentacle too.

One of my all time favourites though is Simon the Sorcerer. It's voiced by Chris Barrie and the first two are absolutely hilarious. Thoroughly recommended.

Vyk
11-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey both arrived late onto the scene right before the genre died at the end of the 90s, and both regarded as some of the pinnacles of the genre. I've owned both, but never really played through them. But I've seen quite a bit of them online, and the impression they've left with people is undeniableThere's also I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, based on a book, and also pretty highly regarded. It's quite a bit darker than most. I don't own this one, but I've also seen bits and pieces of it online, and mentioned in articles and whatnot, and I would actually like to add it to my collection

Dr Unne
11-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Shadowgate (2014) (http://store.steampowered.com/app/294440/) Protip: don't play on the hardest difficulty for your first playthrough, it's nearly impossible. :(

Colonel Angus
11-08-2014, 10:26 PM
Maniac Mansion. One of the games I got to play in computer lab.

Rez09
11-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey both arrived late onto the scene right before the genre died at the end of the 90s, and both regarded as some of the pinnacles of the genre. I've owned both, but never really played through them.

I second The Longest Journey; the game is amazing. It does, however, unfortunately live up to its name and is EXTREMELY long, at least for me the first time I played it, so be aware that it will take a bit of (completely worthwhile) investment to finish. It also has a sequel that's fairly good from a story perspective, though it made some . . . shaky design/control choices that leave it less recommended than its predecessor. It also ends on one of the most painful cliffhangers in the genre, though that's finally been addressed with the release of the first part of the third game earlier this year. :hyper:

The Grim Fandango and the other Lucas Arts titles mentioned so far (Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion, ect) are also very good entries in the genre, as their competition was Sierra during the early 90s pushed LA to release quality game after quality game, and it's rather hard to go wrong with anything they put out during the first half of that decade. That said, if I were to recommend a single title of theirs, it would be Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Is my personal favorite title the company has ever released, effectively being a forgotten fourth film in the franchise where Jones is off to discover Atlantis before the Nazis do. Additionally, the game can be played in different ways, such as a more combat heavy (which I remember NOT being an ideal way to go) or puzzle heavy route, which adds some replayability to the game, and you can get a version of the game with voiced dialogue (which was a big deal back then. :D), which I'm pretty certain is the version on Steam for 6 USD. About the only downside to the game is how clunky it can feel now, you know, after almost twenty years of computer gaming progress, but it's not that bad to deal with.

Moving away from Lucas Arts, I also wholly back Bubba's mention of Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars; it's been my favorite point-and-click since I got it on my PS1, of all places, and clicked on the first lamp post I saw. The game looks amazing, has a great sense of humor and enjoyable puzzles, and leads you on an interesting story that takes place across Europe as you try to piece together what's behind a 'costume killer' and stumble into something quite more than expected. Additionally, there is an enhanced director's cut that was released a few years ago that adds additional sections for Nico, which flesh out the game a bit and make it even more appealing, which is also the version on Steam, as are the sequels: The Smoking Mirror (also quite good), The Sleeping Dragon (Not so recommended), The Angel of Death (Didn't play), and The Serpent's Curse(all of my yes for this title). Oh, and the Director's Cut of the first game was released on the DS, for portable point-and-click goodness. ;) (That said, don't get the GBA port of the original. It is not good peoples.)

Um, beyond that, there were also two Discworld point and clicks on the PS1 that I thoroughly enjoyed, though I don't know where you'd pick them up for the PC legitly now. I don't have much to say about them, as its been ages since I played either, but both games star an Eric Idle voiced Rincewind and contain much of the same humor that make the books great, the first game focusing on a slaying a dragon and the second on Death taking an unfortunate vacation. Probably worth looking into if you are in the mood for some humor with your side of puzzle solving.

Regarding Sierra, the other big adventure game company from the early 90s, their titles are rather notorious for liberal use of character death and, in earlier titles, unwinnable situations, most infamously the bridge in KQ 2 and the Dwarves in the original, so I don't often recommend their games to people. They aren't bad by any stretch of the imagination, mind you, but can be frustrating and I generally find take a bit more thinking and consideration (see also: saving) than most people are interested in. Out of them, I really like King's Quest 3 and 6, the first two Police Quest games, and the original Laura Bow game the most, the latter of which is likely the one I'd recommend despite how unconventional it is. The game requires multiple playthroughs to fully complete, but each time you do you'll figure out where to be at what time to better unravel all of what is going on in the mansion. It's a story that unfolds more with player action than passive inaction like most games, and the more you put into it, the more you get out of it. Unfortunately, however, finding some of the events is still beyond stupid, as I seem to remember one room you had to walk into and fairly quickly leave, but it is an overall interesting experience all the same. If you are up for challenging point-and-clicks, go Sierra.

Another one that comes to mind is the original Clock Tower on the SNES, which has been getting a LOT of attention in the past few years. You can check out the 16-bit gems (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_t31v97HmQ) review of the game for a pretty good look at it, but, simply put, you play as an unarmed girl trying to find her friends and escape a mansion before a maniac with scissors runs you down. The game relies on an evasion mechanic rather than combat and, much like the original Laura Bow game, you can either quickly run through the game, bravely stealing a car and leaving your friends to die, or you can piece together the backstory of what's going on as you work your way into the heart of the mansion. As nice as all of this is, however, the real selling point of this game is, to me, the atmosphere the first time you play it, so if you decide to do so, play alone and in the dark without a guide. :skull::skull::skull:

There are some other's I'd really love to recommend, like Deponia, but I haven't gotten to finish most of them yet, so I can't offer any commentary or recommendations for them. Maybe after I finish what I'm playing now. :'(

escobert
11-09-2014, 03:28 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein:_Through_the_Eyes_of_the_Monster
God I loved this game.

Shorty
11-09-2014, 03:58 AM
Love Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra, and I am seriously surprised that anyone else here has played it. Never played The Colonel's Bequest, but always meant to! I found Dagger of Amon Ra again a couple of years ago to replay it and it brought me immense happiness and joy. I just love the old Sierra games.

Other than that, Grim Fandango is a work of beauty, and I've been meaning to replay it for a couple of years but something else always gets in the way. I also liked Full Throttle, and I wonder if The Journeyman Project would be considered a point-and-click? I have no idea. Also, the Dare to Dream games were creepy beyond measure for their time and were great.

I discovered The Longest Journey a little while ago and have been wanting to play it D:

Jinx
11-09-2014, 04:25 AM
Cookie Clicker.

MoogleSky
11-09-2014, 06:47 PM
Cookie Clicker.
More like a simple clicking game, than a point-AND-click ;P Though gotta admit, those games can be addicting.

Ayen
11-09-2014, 07:29 PM
I was coming in here to say The Longest Journey, so yeah. The Longest Journey. If you like that I'd recommend Dreamfall even though they got rid of the point and click elements.

krissy
11-09-2014, 07:39 PM
longest journey rocks

Rez09
11-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Dreamfall: Chapters has been pretty good so far, too. :)

Ayen
11-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Dreamfall: Chapters has been pretty good so far, too. :)

Trout, did that come out already? I didn't know that was out yet.

Sephex
11-10-2014, 04:25 AM
Minesweeper is sort of fun.

Rostum
11-10-2014, 08:09 AM
Tied for my favourite adventure games of all time are Riven: The Sequel to Myst, and Grim Fandango.

I highly recommend playing through the entire Myst series, it develops quite well and is just a beautiful universe to delve into. The Longest Journey and Syberia series are also really well done and I highly recommend them too. Of course you can't go past things like Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Secret of Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Atlantis series, The Neverhood, and of course the King's Quest and Quest for Glory series.

As you can probably tell the 'point and click adventure' genre is probably my one of my favourites. I wish it were a financially viable genre for AAA developers to bring back.

Freya
11-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Wow you guys are awesome. I'm going to have to go on a downloading adventure. If only I had the time! I wonder if I can get some mobilely on my phone. I am not always at my computer but I am always with my phone.

Loony BoB
11-10-2014, 04:08 PM
I, too, love The Longest Journey and Dreamfall is basically an evolution of point and click games (be it done well or not is up to you, I personally feel it's a tiny bit better). After reading in this thread that Dreamfall Chapters was just released, I am going to go home, turn off Football Manager 2015 which I only just bought and buy Chapters. Because oh man so much build up, so much hype, I have been waiting for this for ages! Can't wait to play the first chapter. :D

11-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Gemini Rue (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gemini_Rue)

Its a bit short but its well worth a play. Very reminiscent of old lucasarts games.

metagloria
11-12-2014, 03:18 AM
Minesweeper is sort of fun.
Dude don't even play with me on Minesweeper, I tore that game up back in the day.

...Or so I thought until I started watching the world's best. My best Expert was 89, which I'm still proud of.

Del Murder
11-12-2014, 03:38 AM
Check out Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward for DS and 3DS and then thank me later.

Forsaken Lover
11-12-2014, 03:48 AM
Might I recommend Darkseed II, starring the greatest video game hero ever, Mike Dawson.

Madame Adequate
11-12-2014, 04:44 AM
Absolutely any made by LucasArts in their heyday. The Broken Sword series. Beneath a Steel Sky. More recently, Telltale's fare fits the niche, though they aren't pure Point and Click. The Longest Journey has been extensively mentioned for good smurfing reason. I think The Last Express might count too? Another one that isn't Point and Click per se, but it's the exact same type of adventure game and though it doesn't entirely succeed in everything it tries to do, it's hugely imaginative and very much worth playing.

I don't know if you can get better than vintage LucasArts and Broken Sword though.

e; the Discworld games were also good, especially the first, which was excellent. I enjoyed Blazing Dragons a good deal although I can't really say it was particularly good as such.

Dr Unne
11-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Check out Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward for DS and 3DS and then thank me later.

I didn't even think of these as point and click games, but I guess they are the console equivalent. Definitely second this. I marathoned through 999 in about a week.

Rostum
11-14-2014, 11:32 PM
Oh shit. How the fuck did I forget about the Zork series?! The first few are just text-based, but once you get the Return to Zork they became amazing. My favourite being Grand Inquisitor, and although Nemesis is pretty good it really deviated away from the feel of the Zork world.

In fact, I'd go as far to say that Grand Inquisitor is tied with Riven and Grim Fandango as my favourite adventure games!