PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Cake

Night Fury
11-09-2014, 04:53 AM
Who here loves Christmas Cake?

I don't mean Christmas Pudding, but cake! I looooooooooove it. I love traditional spice fruit cake. Me and my Mum make them every year together, she usually does all the booze stuff and I like to decorate at the end of it. I hate that I can't eat it straight away though and have to wait til Christmas. Wah!

I think it's a very British thing, the ol' classic Christmas cake! Ours was always a bit more like a Scottish Whisky Dundee though. I think I'll probably make mine closer to Christmas than I would at home, I don't know how the Australian heat would affect the cake if I were to make it weeks in advance so I might just do it 10 days before. I think the taste will suffer a little bit honestly I like the cake without all the booze anyway sooo :p

This year I'm hoping to make a few to give away as gifts, although it seems they really divide people. People either love them or hate them. I'm proudly waving the flag of 'LOVING IT'

If you're not a Christmas Cake lover, what do you have instead? Do you prefer the Christmas Pudding or do you stay away from them altogether? What is the 'Christmas Cake' of your country?

Pumpkin
11-09-2014, 04:57 AM
I actually really dislike fruit cake, so I have this instead :monster:

Night Fury
11-09-2014, 05:05 AM
I was thinking of giving a Yule Log a go too now I have an electric whisk! I think they're quite showstopping when they're done well!

black orb
11-10-2014, 07:25 PM
>>> Christmas Cakes are one of my favorite cakes. The only problem are the calories, just one slice is probably over 9000!!..:luca:

MissH
11-10-2014, 09:48 PM
I'm with shion on this one. Chocolate yule is just heaven in a bowl!

Spooniest
11-10-2014, 10:49 PM
:/

"Christmas Cake" is a Japanese term for a woman who is too old to get married. The kicker?

The idea comes from the fact that nobody wants Christmas Cake after the 25th of December. So Japanese women are considered "old maids..." at 25.

Japan's birth rate is, I imagine not coincidentally, falling.

That being said, my family never baked cake at Christmas, but damn it, do they bake a lot of cookies.

Night Fury
12-18-2014, 10:50 AM
*Casts Raise on the thread*

So, my Christmas cakes are in the oven! Well, 2 of them anyway! Got another 4 to do! They actually smell amazing - even if it is super hot in my kicthen now... Made them pretty late but I still think they'll be good!

Can't wait to decorate them, I'm going to have a go at making my own fondant for modelling the decorations! So excited! :D :D :D :D

Night Fury
12-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Decorated one today! For me and Pheesh! His present is the lovely guitar there, and I have two mysterious boxes.... Oooooooeeer!

This was my first real go at some proper fondant decorating and I'm chuffed to pieces with how it looks! :D :D :D

Bubba
12-19-2014, 02:57 PM
I can't believe you can do all that with cake. I literally couldn't even draw something that good.

Pumpkin
12-19-2014, 02:59 PM
Wow, looks awesome Locky!

Shorty
12-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Oh, is christmas cake with fruit? I thought it was all cinnamon cloves and spices and things D:

Night Fury
12-20-2014, 03:39 AM
Aww thanks guys! :D

It tastes p. good too! :D :D :D :D