PDA

View Full Version : Dairy Free Ice Cream!

Night Fury
11-10-2014, 08:39 AM
I mentioned in the Peanut Butter (http://home.eyesonff.com/showthread.php/160094-Peanut-Butter) thread I was going to give dairy free ice cream a crack.

I used a recipe from The Londoner blog (http://www.thelondoner.me/2013/07/guilt-free-chocolate-peanut-butter-gelato.html) and made it today!

I used p. much the same amounts, but I had two big bananas and I think I used more than a tbsp of Peanut Butter. I did freeze the bananas first but if I do it again I will probably make the mix and then freeze, as those frozen bananas are a bugger to get through the blender. The end result is lovely though, it's definitely not ice cream but it's strange because it's not like eating bananas. It tastes like banana but it doesn't feel like that's what you're eating. It's like a chocolate banana frozen pudding! Really nice!

Bubba
11-10-2014, 08:53 AM
MissH is the dairy-free Queen as she couldn't eat dairy for four years. I know there are some fabulous recipes that are completely dairy free.

I'm pretty sure I tried some dairy-free ice cream when MissH had some in the freezer... I wouldn't kick it out of bed.

Shorty
11-10-2014, 05:21 PM
Sorbet? Is this a thread about sorbet?

I like sorbet, but nothing replaces dairy ice cream.

Ergroilnin
11-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Is this another one of those hippie things like vegan steak, eggs and bacon? No thanks.

Shorty
11-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Is this another one of those hippie things like vegan steak, eggs and bacon? No thanks.

Or maybe it's a way to treat people who suffer from lactose-intolerance?

Night Fury
11-11-2014, 05:06 AM
Sorbet? Is this a thread about sorbet?

I like sorbet, but nothing replaces dairy ice cream.

I love Sorbet, but I wouldn't call this a sorbet as it's not made with the sweetened water and is just frozen banana really mixed up with peanut butter! After having some last night after dinner, I must say it definitely doesn't hit the spot like dairy ice cream but it's an okay alternative. It's very chocolatey!

Erm, nope.

This is not a vegan thing at all. I just wanted to try an alternative to dairy ice cream as I do suffer from a bit of lactose intollerance, yes, and I also wanted to try something that was a bit healthier. Not a vegan/hippie thing at all. Not that there is anything wrong with those things.

Ergroilnin
11-11-2014, 09:21 AM
They really need to invent sarcasm font.

Rez09
11-11-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks for posting this, as I was wondering about it after you posted it. I think I will try to make some later if I manage to find some cocoa powder in the house. I was reading the comments on the blog page and I think I'll try the manual mixing method someone mentioned, along with your idea of not freezing the bananas since it will make the mixing easier and I'm planning to freeze it afterwards instead of eating it right away. My hopes are high.
:quina: