PDA

View Full Version : Cooking for people from other cultures

Night Fury
11-11-2014, 05:26 AM
Have you ever cooked for people from around the world?

When I went to Mexico in 2010, I was living with 5 Mexicans and a Costa Rican and we got to cook for each other a lot! I made risotto one night which they loved and they'd never had it before. I think the Costa Rican ate it out of politeness though because he told me after he hated vegetables but he enjoyed my risotto. :lol:

I also got to make them apple and pear crumble which they loved. They said it was unusual for them to eat a hot dessert.

Things I learned to make were amazing guacamole from one of the Mexican girls "My secret is limes!" she said, the Costa Rican boy showed me how to make a Costa Rican breakfast of Gallo Pinto (which is amazing btw.) Two of the other mexican girls made us Molletes too, and they were yummy too! Mostly for that whole trip though we were eating quesadillas cooked from the oven of the camper van. It was gr8.

noxious.sunshine
11-12-2014, 03:33 PM
I make Mexican and Chinese (but it's like stir fries and fried p for my Filipino bf all the time.

A lady I worked with in the elementary school, she's Peruvian and anytime I brought left overs, I'd share with her cuz she'd always ask to try.

I'd cook southern American food for my exes and my bf as as well. XD

Psychotic
11-12-2014, 04:11 PM
I cook scrambled eggs for a Canadian all the time. The trick is to smother them with maple syrup.

Loony BoB
11-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Outside of the odd stir fry or roast meal for people who happened to be over at my place, I can't think of much that I've cooked at all. I mean, most people I've cooked for have experienced a pretty wide variety of food as it is.

I don't cook too much, though, and when I do it's pretty standard stuff. I'd probably cook more elaborate meals if I was cooking for a larger number of people and/or had more energy at the end of the day and/or it wasn't going to be wolfed down quickly while gaming.

EDIT: Oh, but some people in the UK don't know about sausages in bread and they get so weird about it. It really highlights the lack of barbeque savvy in the UK. Everyone knows you put a sausage in bread with some sauce. It's fast, yum and saves on dishes. What's not to like!?

Psychotic
11-12-2014, 05:25 PM
A sausage sandwich, or...?

Loony BoB
11-12-2014, 05:50 PM
Not exactly. You use a single piece of bread and sort of use it like a hot dog bun, rolling it around into a U shape, in which the sausage and sauce sit. Traditionally only done at barbeques but in the UK we don't have the best weather so I'm happy enough cooking the sausages indoors and eating them in the same way.

EDIT: Many people have fried onion in there too but I'm not a fan.

Shauna
11-12-2014, 06:13 PM
I have cooked people square sausage and tattie scone rolls!

noxious.sunshine
11-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Two of the other mexican girls made us Molletes too, and they were yummy too!.

My ex used to make those, but he called them tortas. & he'd go all out with beans, mayo, jalapeno, queso fresco, avocado, fried egg, and ham

escobert
11-13-2014, 11:15 PM
My girlfriend is from Saipan, she's been in the US for 2 years now so she's always cooking her crazy stuff for me. And I live with a young Chinese man who has been here for a couple years so he likes to cook me stuff. He's cooking me Chinese shishcabobs (how the hell do you spell that!?) right now :) Bena my gf loves my Vermont farm cooking. Mainly stews and meat pies, that sort of stuff.

escobert
11-13-2014, 11:18 PM
Not exactly. You use a single piece of bread and sort of use it like a hot dog bun, rolling it around into a U shape, in which the sausage and sauce sit. Traditionally only done at barbeques but in the UK we don't have the best weather so I'm happy enough cooking the sausages indoors and eating them in the same way.

EDIT: Many people have fried onion in there too but I'm not a fan.
I do that all of the time. I hate dishes.

Pheesh
11-13-2014, 11:29 PM
I cooked once or twice when I was in England with Lockharted's folks... It wasn't a huge success. Spent like 40 minutes making this really nice cauliflower cheese and then found out that her Mum didn't like cauliflower -_-

Calliope
11-28-2014, 04:14 AM
I cook scrambled eggs for a Canadian all the time. The trick is to smother them with maple syrup.

Smothering Canadians is a good way to get them to concede to anything.