PDA

View Full Version : I'm famous! (Or at least my town is)

Bubba
11-11-2014, 10:36 PM
Have you ever seen somewhere local to you that has appeared on TV or film?

Freya
11-11-2014, 10:42 PM
My town has been in national news twice this year. Australia declared that no Australians should come to Oklahoma for the first murder. And just recently we had a guy who murdered his parents and sister and then went and partied at an OU vs TX game.... So that was everywhere too.

OR there was that one time where Halliburton dumped chemicals and many peoples homes were contaminated and the actual erin brockovich came to town to investigate it....

Shauna
11-11-2014, 10:47 PM
A house round the corner from me was on the front page of the East Kilbride News!

A drug baron who lived there was arrested.

Shorty
11-11-2014, 11:14 PM
The entirety of Footloose with Kevin Bacon was filmed in my hometown and around my valley in Utah. (I wish I were joking.) The Bonneville Salt Flats of Salt Lake were used in Pirates of the Caribbean: A World's End. Some of Utah's state parks were filmed in the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade prologue with Young Indy. Utah's deserts and state parks are often used for desert-y and dunes-y scenes in film.

Oh, and a marriage chapel in my current town recently made national news because they chose to sue the city for their right to discriminate against gay marriage (http://boisestatepublicradio.org/post/coeur-dalene-says-hitching-post-exempt-gay-rights-law) after the ban on gay marriage was lifted for Idaho. :shobon: Pride of our community, right there. And also Dante's Peak was filmed here in the surrounding Coeur d'Alene area back in the nineties.

noxious.sunshine
11-12-2014, 12:18 AM
There's this show called Nashville....

I Took the Red Pill
11-12-2014, 12:47 AM
Craigslist Killer graduated from my high school

Iceglow
11-12-2014, 01:12 AM
Dude, I live in Wimbledon, I come from Finchley (chronicles of Naria Pensive Children are from there in the books and the films), I've also never moved outside of London. I'm always somewhere what has been in TV or a film. That being said some smaller things that people may not know:

The IT Crowd, the theater they use in almost every night out is the Wimbledon Theater and I live 1km from it's doors.
There was a drama with Pauline Quirk playing a murderer who stabbed someone with scissors before jumping off the roof of the office block to prevent the cops from arresting her. I worked part time with my mom as a cleaner for an office in that building at the time.
Harry Enfield and Chums was regularly filmed in and around Friern Barnet where I went to Secondary School. I used to watch them filming many a time.
East Enders filmed at the Elstree Studio was next to a close college friend's house and we more than once wound up in the back of the Queen Vic as extras.
The First Mission Impossible movie has a scene which was filmed at Liverpool St Station in London. I was there on the day it was filmed and brought coffees in the line behind Tom Cruise from a shop.
Phone Shop whilst almost entirely filmed in and around Sutton High Street used several interiors of places in Wimbledon.
In the first Inbetweeners film, they go to a night club which had carpet on the dance floor. In the film it's down stairs in a basement bar. In reality it is the upper floor of the Inferno's night club in Clapham Common and I have been there several times (it's pretty crap but friends drag me there)
Waterloo Station is featured in 2 of the Bourne films. I usually pass through the concourse there at least once a month.
Arnie opened the VUE cinema in North Finchley when I was in high school. They paid a lot of money to move the premiere of Terminator 3 to the cinema to ensure it's success. Almost 90% of my class got busted for truancy because we were seen on news cameras.

I could go on, I really could but doing so would be way too time consuming.

Shiny
11-12-2014, 04:52 AM
One of my friends in middle school and high school is a huge Korean pop star now.

The rival town of my hometown had an NBC show shot there it lasted one season I think.

Another person I went to high school with was in Gossip Girls.

Sephex
11-12-2014, 05:07 AM
A number of athletes went to my old High School. Most recent is Julian Wright (basketball). The Red Hot Chilli Peppers Chad Smith went to my High School for a couple of years, but didn't graduate there.

Internet famous people live fairly close to where I live, as well. The Nostalgia Critic lives just north of me. I actually know how to get to several of the outdoor locations that he has filmed in throughout the years. Spoony from the Spoony experiment used to live in Arizona, but now he lives close to the area I just mentioned with his girlfriend. There is an asain market there that he did a couple of v-logs about, and it was a bit surreal to see someone I've been following online for nearly a decade talk about an area I know pretty well (again, out of my immediate area, but not much of a drive to get where I am talking about).

I've gotten to know the speedrunning community a bit better because my sister is dating and lives with Cosmo (one of the best known speedrunners) in the actual city of Chicago. I actually lent him my copy of Symphony of the Night since he needed it to set a world record of sorts, which he did. He is much more notable for setting Zelda: Wind Waker world records and his most recent insane Ocarina of Time world record. My sister has also gained some minor notoriety by speedrunning herself, and actually had the Chrono Trigger new game + world record for about a week. She mainly experiments with lesser known games and tries odd challenges as of late, though.

Spooniest
11-12-2014, 05:10 AM
Moline, IL had a song written about it by Pearl Jam. Also, some dude got arrested yesterday for putting spy cameras in a tanning salon's bathroom.

Moline, IL is across the river from Davenport, IA (where I lived till I was a teenager). My clearest memory of it is that it was the place that had the only Airport around.

MissH
11-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Where I live has been on tv for being the kinkiest place in the UK because most bondage is sold here or something?! Ha!

Crop
11-12-2014, 07:36 AM
Yeah, Gavin and Stacy was filmed and set in my town. Some of Torchwood was filmed here too.
They also film Dr Who in the area.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-12-2014, 08:56 AM
One of my coworkers pointed out that the name of my hometown is on either a truck or train car in the first episode of The Walking Dead when Rick's walking around alone.

My high school was on the news a few years back for trying to deny someone their diploma for being cheered on at their graduation ceremony. The idea was that they didn't want anyone who didn't receive applause to feel left out, so cheering from anyone was discouraged. Needless to say it wasn't a very successful endeavor.

Loony BoB
11-12-2014, 05:47 PM
Most notably, Xena and Hercules were filmed not far from my high school. A bunch of our students were extras, although none that I'm still in touch with. Spartacus, Life of Pi, Evil Dead, the Chronicles of Narnia, Bridge to Terabithia, King Kong, The Almighty Johnsons, The Last Samurai, Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, Battleship, 30 Days of Night, Elizabeth, The Piano, Whale Rider and other films/series all have Auckland in their filming locations according to IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/search/title?at=0&locations=Auckland,%20New%20Zealand&sort=num_votes). I doubt many were there a lot of the time, though.

For Edinburgh, Trainspotting is the obvious one. Chariots of Fire. The Da Vinci Code. Cloud Atlas. Filth. Sunshine on Leith, dunno how well known that is, but it's filmed in the location where our favourite Italian restaurant is (ie, Leith, a region of Edinburgh).

On a bit more research...

Auckland
The Tommyknockers: Full movie
In Life of Pi: the strain station
In King Kong: the New York Alhambra theatre
Narnia Chronicles: Monte Cecilia grounds and "House scenes"
Spartacus: War of the Damned: Full series
Xena: Warrior Princess: Full series
Hercules: Full series
Evil Dead: Full movie
Underworld: Rise of the Lycans: Primary location
Bridge to Terabithia: Primary location
The Piano: Full movie

Edinburgh
Trainspotting: Opening sequence (I walk/travel through this area almost every day). To anyone who has visited Edinburgh, you've almost certainly been down these roads, too, considering it includes the main street of Edinburgh (Princes Street). Apparently Cloud Atlas had a scene filmed in Princes Street, too, but I haven't seen that yet.

Bubba
11-12-2014, 08:20 PM
Where I live has been on tv for being the kinkiest place in the UK because most bondage is sold here or something?! Ha!

Also, it has held this title since the year that MissH was legally allowed to buy bondage equipment.

Coincidence? You be the judge.