To date I have completed:
Interview with the Vampire
Queen of the Damned
Memnoch the Devil

I've read like 99% of:
Tale of the Body Thief
The Vampire Armand

I abandoned "Tale" because I hated it.

Armand I didn't finish because I was more or less done with it and got distracted, which commonly happens to me.

I think a legitimate criticism of her later books is that they are indeed too bloated for their own good. I used to think it was just a personal problem - that I suck for not being able to get through how long they were. But a lot of people have this complaint and it seems like a generally accepted idea that her novels could and should be much, much shorter than they are. I mean, I'm not objecting to the copious amount of sex in "Armand" but some of it could have been cut.

I know a lot of people say her first two books were by far her best but I skipped The Vampire Lestat because, from what I was told, it's largely a mess of contradictions of what was in "Interview." And I loved that book! Besides, if I had one great criticism of the series, it's Lestat. Maybe the original idea was "hey, Lestat was a more likable character than Louis. He wasn't constantly moping and shit. So I'll write a book about him instead." But along the way, the Lestat I liked from the first book disappeared. The thing about every later incarnation of Lestat is that EVERYBODY LOVES HIM. I'm so goddam sick of it. Even the characters who hate him actually love him. Maybe, just maybe I could brush this all off as him being delusional, but not for every damned book. And Armand loved him too in his book so there goe sthat theory.
This pretty much sums up how I feel about Lestat and, ironically, it's from my least favorite book. (Tale of the Body Thief)
Lestat: I'm going to weep if you don't stop.

Louis: Weep. I'd like to see you weep. I've read a great deal about your weeping in the pages of your books but I've never seen you weep with my own eyes.

Lestat: Ah, that makes you out to be a perfect liar, I said furiously. You described my weeping in your miserable memoir in a scene which we both know did not take place!

Basically, in my mind, Louis wa right, Lestat is an egotistical douchebag and I don't believe half of what he says or thinks.

Now....getting away from that....

Has anyone here read "Memnoch?" The thing that interested me so much about this book, and allowed me to forget Lestat, was that it wasn't so much a book to me. Oh yes there were characters and a story but I read it mostly as an insight into Mrs. Rice's ideas of spirituality, religion, God, etc.. Of course a lot of people say an artist's works ar ea good way to look into their mind but I never bothered much with that kind of "analysis." But, in Memnoch, it seemed unavoidable to me. The character of Memnoch had so many ideas and speeches and questions that it made me sit back and say "is this Mrs. Rice talking to me right now?" I didn't necessarily mind this because it was intriguing but it was very....different.

So what have you read and what do you think?

Shorty
11-14-2014, 05:09 PM
I love these books, even though I consider Interview With the Vampire to be the only good one. You're correct that the later books are too bloated for their own good. I feel like in a way poor Mrs. Rice should be taken away from her franchise like George Lucas was, but she's such a sweet old lady that I would never wish that on her.

The Vampire Lestat is a mess. The origins of his story are neat, but it's mixed in with this weird feeling that you get of Anne Rice herself being in love with Lestat while she has confessed in the past that Lestat is in fact an alter ego of herself. So that weirds me out. And then it's filled with the pompous assholery of Lestat's narcissism, and then I just hate in general how it begins with the lines, "The vampire Lestat here." Like he's on a radio speaking to his readers. I will never forgive her for that stupid line! :argh: I don't like how Louis was basically turned into a little bitch from Lestat's point of view. I sympathize quite a lot with Louis and I found his story pretty tragic, and then Lestat just shits all over it.

Queen of the Damned was not awesome, either. Lestat as a rock star? Are you freaking joking?

I wanted so badly to like Tale of the Body Thief but it was just so bad ;-; It was such a cool premise but ugh such a bad book. And then I started reading Memnoch the Devil but got bored.

Lestat could be such a cool character if Anne Rice wasn't so busy in trying to live vicariously through him. I've heard that her Mayfair Witches stories are pretty good, and I've been meaning to read those for a while. Mostly, I take her stories with a grain of salt and don't have any real expectations for them, but I do enjoy the mythologies she has created. She will always appeal to the little teenage gothy me.

also I got to meet her and she signed my fancy hardcover edition of The Vampire Chronicles :love:

Freya
11-14-2014, 06:20 PM
I heard she had a new one coming out in this vampire series. Anyone know about that?

Jinx
11-14-2014, 06:26 PM
I own a collection of the first three or four books.

Love Interview With the Vampire. Read about 3/4 of The Vampire Lestat, it was complete nonsense and total shit, gave up and never went back.