PDA

View Full Version : When do you get excited about Christmas?

Pheesh
11-29-2014, 04:36 PM
My house is full of premature holiday cheer right now. There's Christmas decorations being made by hand with Christmas songs blaring in the background, and I imagine a tree will be up in the next few days. I don't bother with Christmas prep until a week or two before the day, if that, but it's in Lockharted's hands so our house turns into Santa's workshop before December even rolls around.

How festive are the rest of you? Do you leave your shopping till Christmas Eve and decide what everyone's getting on the spot, or do you put your tree up in November like a crazy person?

Shauna
11-29-2014, 04:39 PM
I get all my shopping done pretty swiftly because I hate having to deal with doing the shopping during December. Screw actually being in those horrendous crowds.

But for when I actually start getting excited? Probably following everyone forgetting about my birthday. That's when I can fully commit to Christmas, as the other yearly event relevant to myself has passed!

escobert
11-29-2014, 04:58 PM
I shop at the last minute and yeah not very festive :p

Pike
11-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Early - mid October. I always feel over Halloween already by about then.

Edit : this is for decorations. Shopping is done during Steam sales (I only shop for Huxley and I only get him games :3:)

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-29-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't.

Shorty
11-29-2014, 06:24 PM
I get less festive as I get older :( I have a dream of having a totally nerdy Christmas tree with ornaments of all of my favorite things like Firefly and Harry Potter and book and cat ornaments and just an overall fantastic Christmas decoration spread.

We really went all-out in my family when I was a kid. My mom would shop for rustic santas, have us collect pinecones to put into decorative bowls with spices and potpurri to make the room smell like Christmas, would spray-paint paper mache reindeer (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Xt-NA7wWvOo/UKaL8MfPiZI/AAAAAAAACtY/r8GwdoAP9CY/s400/IMG_4541.JPG) and cut and make dozens of tiny Christmas ribbons to tie onto the glass orb hooks. Lots of ribbon and pinecones and forest-y rustic decor. We were big on Christmas decorations then and I miss it. I'll pick up the festivity again someday when I have more space!

Aulayna
11-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Usually around mid-November. Although these days it usually just makes me homesick and wish I was a kid again, as I've worked pretty much every Christmas for 9 years now (7 of which on Christmas Day itself), so I can be a bit of a negative nancy about it. Especially when people get shitty with me on Christmas Day, it's like... please... go and celebrate, not make my day a misery.

Pumpkin
11-29-2014, 06:51 PM
December 1st

blackmage_nuke
11-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Whenever I think of a funny Christmas facebook status and cant wait to post it.

Mirage
11-29-2014, 08:20 PM
around new years eve

Dat Matt
11-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Likely December 25th. I understand the appeal of festive cheer, but getting people in the Spirit in early November really annoys me. It just means that people are spending money on Christmas 2 months prior to the event, thus ensuring that business receive good sales during November,

Also means working in retail must be hell for anyone in November now too, as well as December,

The actual day is fine, just all this premature build up.

fire_of_avalon
11-30-2014, 04:34 AM
ITT we see the people who are good at foreplay and those who maybe not so much do the whole foreplay thing.

I get in the Christmas mood right after Thanksgiving but it usually gets fucked up somehow and I mope around until about a week before Christmas and then get super happy again.

Night Fury
11-30-2014, 07:10 AM
Also means working in retail must be hell for anyone in November now too, as well as December,

It is. I only worked 2 Christmas periods in retail. First one was awful, second one a little better because I had more authority and less patience for people/didn't feel like I had to be as patient with people.

Seriously, people get like extra self-entitled around the Christmas period. 70% of customers are just awful to be around at this time. You always get a few customers who are just lovely though, and make you want to go out of your way to help them, which is nice.

Pike
11-30-2014, 10:28 AM
"Retail for twelve years and I still start celebrating Christmas in October" reporting in. :cool:

Psychotic
11-30-2014, 10:31 AM
I need to have watched the Muppets Christmas Carol, and I usually - but not always - do that on Christmas Eve.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Thanksgiving has to be in my rear view.

A lot of the Christmas stuff has been pulled out of the basement but not set up yet.

Laddy
12-03-2014, 02:30 PM
To be honest I only get excited before I get my shopping done and then Im good until like two days before. I actually really love Christmas shopping because it's where I get a lot of my Christmas cheer from.

Cloudane
12-03-2014, 10:44 PM
Christmas Eve, or when I finish the stress of buying stuff (Which is usually Christmas Eve)

I also get into the spirit for the work's party, but they're not having one this year (Christmas is cancelled due to a slight wobble in the sales figures, even though profitability has been pretty sound for most of the year, they're punishing us with no party) so Bah Humbug