PDA

View Full Version : CPU Upgrade?

Aulayna
11-30-2014, 11:23 AM
So I just upgraded my graphics card from a GTX 560Ti to a GTX 970, I'm wondering if it's also time to upgrade my processor. Mostly just use the computer for general gaming, photoshopping and occasionally video rendering (that's something left overnight though)

I'm currently using a:

Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155

Not sure if it's worth looking into an i7 or not.

Mirage
11-30-2014, 12:43 PM
Well, do you feel like it's slowing you down?

I don't think I would

Aulayna
11-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Yeah I decided against it, the performance increase is negligible, so I just got a 2nd SSD instead.

Vyk
11-30-2014, 03:44 PM
Yeah, I've heard ram is way more important for performance, especially across the board, so you can enjoy better gaming and a better computer experience. CPU would enhance how quickly things' minimize animation goes though :P

Mirage
11-30-2014, 03:49 PM
I basically only consider CPU upgrades when my GPU starts staying way below maximum load even if my framerate isn't maxed out. CPU speed for everyday things like file compression and just normal internet stuff is rarely an issue. I also use Adobe Lightroom, but I have a feeling that RAM bandwidth has a bigger impact than CPU speed there, considering the enormous amounts of data that needs to be transfered from RAM to CPU every time I change a tiny little color adjustment value on a 20+ MP RAW file. Photoshop seems to use higher amounts of RAM and more CPU, but doesn't need as high bandwidth. I've got a 3GHz i5 myself, not even sandy bridge i think.

btw feel free to send me your 560 cause I've only got a 460 :p

escobert
11-30-2014, 04:28 PM
the only reason I care a lot about my CPU and not much about my GPU (running a MSI 480GTX) is that DayZ and Arma games are very CPU dependent. A lot of MMOs can be as well. But, if you have a top tier i5 I wouldn't see much point in going up. maybe just more RAM.

For me I have the best i3 that was out at the time so if I'm going to upgrade I'm gonna go for an i7.

Aulayna
11-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Yeah I have 16GB of RAM so RAM is pretty much not going to be an issue until one of the sticks dies. Just going to get a second SSD to put my most regularly played games on and let Windows have free reign of the current one. :)