PDA

View Full Version : RPG's you want to play but cant :(

Rin Heartilly
12-02-2014, 12:30 PM
As the title suggests, what RPG titles do you really want to play but cant due to reasons like not being able to attain it legally, too expensive to buy, game has bad reviews and you are unsure about trying it....etc

The first game that comes to mind for me is Suikoden II, I've heard so many good things about the game but it's very difficult to get my hands on a hard copy for the PS1 (without paying hundreds, that is). I also dislike emulators so I don't think I'd go that route either.

What about you guys?

Rez09
12-02-2014, 01:14 PM
Romancing SaGa 2 and Tales of Rebirth are two of the big ones for me.

I've always found Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Frontier to be the pinnacles of the series, but I've often heard that RS3 is absolutely nothing compared to the second game and there are no completed translation patches for it yet. Tales of Rebirth also doesn't have a completed patch for it and is one of the few main games in the Tales series I haven't touched at all. It looks great, too. :(

Regarding Suikoden II, I think it's really good, but not at the current admission price. Konami needs to re-release it in the US. ._.

Vyk
12-02-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm surprised more companies don't follow in Square's footsteps and make games more readily available for other systems/generations and not just digitally. I know if Square had the Suikoden property, there would have been at LEAST a PSP/PS2 compilation of the PS1 games, probably some remakes of sorts as well

This is a great topic, one that I consider quite frequently but never really bothered to talk about. I'm with Rez, most of my shortcomings is from a language barrier. Tales of Destiny's remake. Tales of Innocence R. Valkyria Chronicles 3 (which they have patched, but its still not very well done). Shining Force Feather

But the one that bugs me the most came after Valkyria Chronicles 3. And is set in SEGA's Shining universe and plays like a Valkyria game, just all fantasy instead of tanks and guns

Shining Blade

I wants it so badly, and I've even downloaded it. But I'm not one to play an RPG purely for gameplay. I need to be able to read it and understand whats going on and everything. And I can't stand the idea of playing a foreign game with a translation guide next to me. Having to stop at every line of text to read it elsewhere would probably more than double the playtime for me and probably ruin the experience. But I may break down and try that someday

I'll probably post more later as there are some other games I am unable or unwilling to participate in for various reasons

Jinx
12-02-2014, 01:50 PM
FFXIV!

Rez09
12-02-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm surprised more companies don't follow in Square's footsteps and make games more readily available for other systems/generations and not just digitally. I know if Square had the Suikoden property, there would have been at LEAST a PSP/PS2 compilation of the PS1 games, probably some remakes of sorts as well

There actually was a PSP compilation of Suikoden I and II, Konami just decided no one outside of Japan was interested in it. :(

But the one that bugs me the most came after Valkyria Chronicles 3. And is set in SEGA's Shining universe and plays like a Valkyria game, just all fantasy instead of tanks and guns

Shining Blade

o_______o

I did not know this product existed.

Now I too wants it! :argh:

Bolivar
12-02-2014, 02:33 PM
^ lol I just had the same experience in the SE announcement thread.

Same as Vyk, Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Shining Blade. I knew Sega was going to make a game like that one day, as soon as I saw the shield and sword troopers in VC2, that the VC battle system would eventually appear in a fantasy. I'm worried now with VC's success on Steam that these games will come out on PC when I'd much rather play them on my Vita or PS4.

I still never played Shining Force III, either :/

Mirage
12-02-2014, 02:39 PM
As the title suggests, what RPG titles do you really want to play but cant due to reasons like not being able to attain it legally, too expensive to buy, game has bad reviews and you are unsure about trying it....etc

The first game that comes to mind for me is Suikoden II, I've heard so many good things about the game but it's very difficult to get my hands on a hard copy for the PS1 (without paying hundreds, that is). I also dislike emulators so I don't think I'd go that route either.

What about you guys?

What's wrong with emulators? Honest question. Is it that you play it on a small PC display, or that you use your keyboard, or something else?

Anyway for me, Fire Emblem: Awakening because I don't oh wait i bought that today nevermind :D

Rin Heartilly
12-02-2014, 03:42 PM
This is a great topic, one that I consider quite frequently but never really bothered to talk about. I'm with Rez, most of my shortcomings is from a language barrier. Tales of Destiny's remake. Tales of Innocence R. Valkyria Chronicles 3 (which they have patched, but its still not very well done). Shining Force Feather

Oh gosh, every game you mentioned, I want! Especially the case with VC 3, I played both Valkyria chronicles 1 & 2 and loved it but was disappointed that the third was Japan exclusive. The language barrier is definitely the biggest factor that has prevented me from playing a lot of great rpgs. I even took Japanese units at university to learn how to read, but I'm pretty bad at kanji so it just takes way too long when I'm reading Japanese, so I gave up =___=" There's nothing like reading in your native language hehe

What's wrong with emulators? Honest question. Is it that you play it on a small PC display, or that you use your keyboard, or something else?

Anyway for me, Fire Emblem: Awakening because I don't oh wait i bought that today nevermind :D

I don't really dislike emulators but rather I'm kind of indifferent to them. I didn't mind using emulators for GBA and DS roms but it's just not the same as playing a physical copy, I guess ^^ I'm also very lazy when it comes to setting things up, so when I wanted to set up a ps1 emu (mainly for suikoden 2) I was intimidated by all the set up stuff and didn't bother xD I also remember past tragedies where my save data was lost and stuff so I've been a bit paranoid getting back into emulators, though when I used them in highschool...I really used them a lotttt. xD

Fire emblem: Awakening is a great game! I spent a good 300 hours setting up optimal marriage partners and children with the best stats and abilities for them...now I feel like playing again puahaha

VeloZer0
12-02-2014, 03:44 PM
I keep hearing that both Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia are really good, but I don't have appropriate console.

Rin Heartilly
12-02-2014, 04:04 PM
I keep hearing that both Skies of Arcadia and Tales of Symphonia are really good, but I don't have appropriate console.

I also want to play Skies of Arcadia as I've heard many good things about it. Tales of Symphonia is great too, definitely a classic! Unfortunately the sequel isn't as good as the first, but if you ever get a gamecube or ps3 I'd recommend Tales of Symphonia :D

Mirage
12-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Oh gosh, every game you mentioned, I want! Especially the case with VC 3, I played both Valkyria chronicles 1 & 2 and loved it but was disappointed that the third was Japan exclusive. The language barrier is definitely the biggest factor that has prevented me from playing a lot of great rpgs. I even took Japanese units at university to learn how to read, but I'm pretty bad at kanji so it just takes way too long when I'm reading Japanese, so I gave up =___=" There's nothing like reading in your native language hehe

I don't really dislike emulators but rather I'm kind of indifferent to them. I didn't mind using emulators for GBA and DS roms but it's just not the same as playing a physical copy, I guess ^^ I'm also very lazy when it comes to setting things up, so when I wanted to set up a ps1 emu (mainly for suikoden 2) I was intimidated by all the set up stuff and didn't bother xD I also remember past tragedies where my save data was lost and stuff so I've been a bit paranoid getting back into emulators, though when I used them in highschool...I really used them a lotttt. xD

Fire emblem: Awakening is a great game! I spent a good 300 hours setting up optimal marriage partners and children with the best stats and abilities for them...now I feel like playing again puahaha
my god I didn't even know this was a gameplay feature
this is great

anyway yeah, some emulators are a pain to set up. It's too bad Suikoden 2 isn't on PSN. The first one is.

Pumpkin
12-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Suikoden II, Skies of Arcadia, and Tales of Symphonia are all excellent games. I just finsihed Skies and Symphonia like this month. Glad I got to play them.

As for me, there are a few games that haven't been translated or only have English subs. I know most people don't care, but I really do. Might just play them on mute I guess but I dunno.

I really want to try the Resident Evil games but I absolutely suck at those types of games so I know I wouldn't make it far

Rin Heartilly
12-02-2014, 04:45 PM
this is great

anyway yeah, some emulators are a pain to set up. It's too bad Suikoden 2 isn't on PSN. The first one is.

The gameplay is very intricate! Completionists and perfectionists will have a great time min/maxing each character (and there are a tonnn of characters lol) :D

I live in Australia so we don't even have Suikoden 1 on our psn store :(

blackmage_nuke
12-02-2014, 04:48 PM
When I was a kid I wanted really badly to play Legaia 2: Duel Saga but my desire slowly ebbed away and now I have the chance to play the game but have little interest in doing so.

I wouldnt mind having a go at The Last Story but I lack a Wii

Pike
12-02-2014, 05:03 PM
FFX HD. C'mon Squeenix I'm not getting a PS3 or Vita just for this. :mad2:

Mirage
12-02-2014, 05:21 PM
this is great

The gameplay is very intricate! Completionists and perfectionists will have a great time min/maxing each character (and there are a tonnn of characters lol) :D

That's actually not a problem. I'm in europe and I've bought like 7 games off of the US PSN store. You just need to make a US PSN account on a new user, then you fill that account with money by buying cash cards online. The stores email you the codes within minutes, and you don't lose a lot of money by doing it. Depending on what games cost in Australia, you might even save money by buying games from the US store, even if the stores that sell the cash card want a tiny bit of money for themselves.

If you use gmail, you don't even need to make an additional email account for it. You can just make another pretend-gmail address that shows up in your regular gmail. All you do is enter whateveryourgmailis+somethingelse@gmail.com when PSN asks for an address and it'll work. You'll get those mails sent to your regular gmail account.

Personally, I just used "+psnus", to keep things simple and easy to remember. I have a "+psnjp" too for access to demos and stuff when they are released in japan. That store is a bit hard to navigate when you can't read japanese, though.

The Man
12-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles mostly.

Mirage
12-02-2014, 05:47 PM
I got a WiiU partially to play that game, but I can't even find it for sale :/. They better bundle a HD version of it along with XCX.

Fynn
12-02-2014, 06:00 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles X because it's not out yet and I don't even have a Wii U :whimper:

Vyk
12-02-2014, 07:16 PM

There actually was a PSP compilation of Suikoden I and II, Konami just decided no one outside of Japan was interested in it. :(

Shining Blade

o_______o

I did not know this product existed.

Now I too wants it! :argh:

^ lol I just had the same experience in the SE announcement thread.

Same as Vyk, Valkyria Chronicles 3 and Shining Blade. I knew Sega was going to make a game like that one day, as soon as I saw the shield and sword troopers in VC2, that the VC battle system would eventually appear in a fantasy. I'm worried now with VC's success on Steam that these games will come out on PC when I'd much rather play them on my Vita or PS4.

I still never played Shining Force III, either :/

lol I was going to mention a few other things in that thread, but didn't figure it was appropriate to keep derailing it to discuss my Shining obsession and disappointments

I don't know if either of you have actually looked it up or just took my word on its existence, but there is good news. The game is gorgeous. I think it may have been made by a higher level team, similar to the one who worked on the original VC. As the second VC was developed by a lower level team, and VC3 was made by another studio entirely and just licensed and published by SEGA. If anyone is interested, there is a fully translated script, which will undoubtedly be used once patching porgress begins, then all they have to worry about is menus and items and stuff

AND! There's a place called Shining Force Central (which used to be my home before I fell in love with this place), they're a strong dedicated following and have acquired quite a few worthwhile hackers and programmers over the years with the specific goal of patching every unreleased Shining game. They're the reason we finally have more than just a script for SF3 Vol 2 and 3 (and yeah, in case either were unaware, those games are patchable in english now, so if you want to set up a Saturn emulator [which is a pain] feel free to go enjoy them~)

The team is like 80% done with Shining Force Feather for the DS and intends to immediately move onto Shining Blade (I believe? Unless there's another game I'm unaware of)

But on that note, we will be getting Shining Force Feather available in english here shortly (a relative term, it may be like a year, but still)

But yeah, there's most of the info I have. I've spent way too much time following these projects.. lol

Skyblade
12-02-2014, 07:26 PM
Golden Sun 4
Shining Force 3
Persona 5
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 3

Pumpkin
12-02-2014, 07:31 PM
Xenoblade Chronicles X because it's not out yet and I don't even have a Wii U :whimper:

This too

Vyk
12-02-2014, 07:45 PM
Those answers seem like cheating :P In that regard, there is a new Mass Effect in the works I'd like, but there's no threat of me not getting it, it's just a matter of waiting :3

Ys: Memories of Calceta is out of my reach, because no patch has been made for it to work on VitaTV in the west yet :(

Speaking of which, though. I should acquire Ys Seven finally. I can get that off PSN and play it on VitaTV >.> that should be good enough I suppose, for now at any rate

Bolivar
12-02-2014, 08:19 PM
I spent an inordinate amount of time setting up a Saturn emulator a few years ago to no avail. I would hope the community has come further along since then but that's a pretty niche console so who knows. Good to know all three Shining Force III episodes have been patched, though!

Del Murder
12-02-2014, 08:29 PM
Mother 3 and Seiken Densetsu 3. I know I can emulate fan translations but every time I've tried it just doesn't feel right. I want to play them on a console or handheld!

Also some others I haven't had the chance to play since I didn't have the right system at the time of their release:

Mass Effect
Tales of Symphonia
Skies of Arcadia

At least the first two are now out on PS3 so I'm going to give them a go once I have time. The Walking Dead Season 2 and Suikoden 2 are taking up my time currently.

Rez09
12-02-2014, 08:37 PM
I don't know if either of you have actually looked it up or just took my word on its existence, but there is good news. The game is gorgeous. I think it may have been made by a higher level team, similar to the one who worked on the original VC. As the second VC was developed by a lower level team, and VC3 was made by another studio entirely and just licensed and published by SEGA. If anyone is interested, there is a fully translated script, which will undoubtedly be used once patching porgress begins, then all they have to worry about is menus and items and stuff

I didn't realize a different team made the second VC game, though that may explain part of why I wasn't fond of it like I was the first one. It was anime high school the game, and I just . . . could not take it. Unlike a lot of people I know, I tend to care more about combat systems and exploring in RPGs than stories and characters (dungeon crawling carry over, me thinks. ._.), and I can put up with a lot of inane drivel from the latter as long a game is fun to play -- which VC2 was, sans drop hunting for promotions --, but eventually the my irritation with the entire school crap managed to bore its way into my skull and forced me to drop the game. I haven't touched the third game due to my experience, and low expectations, carrying over from the second, but knowing it's from a different team gives me some hope. Is it worth my time?

AND! There's a place called Shining Force Central (which used to be my home before I fell in love with this place), they're a strong dedicated following and have acquired quite a few worthwhile hackers and programmers over the years with the specific goal of patching every unreleased Shining game. They're the reason we finally have more than just a script for SF3 Vol 2 and 3 (and yeah, in case either were unaware, those games are patchable in english now, so if you want to set up a Saturn emulator [which is a pain] feel free to go enjoy them~)

The team is like 80% done with Shining Force Feather for the DS and intends to immediately move onto Shining Blade (I believe? Unless there's another game I'm unaware of)

But on that note, we will be getting Shining Force Feather available in english here shortly (a relative term, it may be like a year, but still)

But yeah, there's most of the info I have. I've spent way too much time following these projects.. lol

I'll have to look into Feather now, me thinks. The Shining series is a really interesting one, with a lot of variation between the titles, so I never know what to expect in terms of quality. I think the most recent one I played was Tears, which was . . . interesting. I heard there was a followup to the game we didn't get, which I might be interested in playing. Would you happen to know anything about that one?

Also, in regards to mention of Saturn emulators, Assault Suits Leynos 2 is, like, my holy grail for that console, and I still haven't gotten to spend the quality time with it I've wanted to. T -T

Spuuky
12-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Xenoblade games, and all the 3DS RPGs. All of them.

chionos
12-02-2014, 09:58 PM

Yep, same here.

There was also a game I only ever saw ads for in magazines way back in the day. I think it was on the Saturn, b/c that was one of the few systems I never had. I can't even remember the name of the game, but I vaguely remember it looking like it was sort of side-scrolling action rpg maybe sort of like the Valkyrie games.
Okay now I have to go dig it up on the nets or it's going to drive me nuts.

Bolivar
12-03-2014, 01:27 AM

Yep, same here.

There was also a game I only ever saw ads for in magazines way back in the day. I think it was on the Saturn, b/c that was one of the few systems I never had. I can't even remember the name of the game, but I vaguely remember it looking like it was sort of side-scrolling action rpg maybe sort of like the Valkyrie games.

Was it Princess Crown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Crown)? It never came over here but it might have been in magazines at the time. It was the spiritual predecessor of Odin Sphere and Muramasa.

chionos
12-03-2014, 02:10 AM

Yep, same here.

Was it Princess Crown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess_Crown)? It never came over here but it might have been in magazines at the time. It was the spiritual predecessor of Odin Sphere and Muramasa.

I think that is it. Looking into it now. Thanks.

Vyk
12-03-2014, 04:39 AM
Princess Crown is a good guess. I was thinking Astal, it has a similar art-style, but is not an RPG of any kind, so probably not

I didn't realize a different team made the second VC game, though that may explain part of why I wasn't fond of it like I was the first one. It was anime high school the game, and I just . . . could not take it. Unlike a lot of people I know, I tend to care more about combat systems and exploring in RPGs than stories and characters (dungeon crawling carry over, me thinks. ._.), and I can put up with a lot of inane drivel from the latter as long a game is fun to play -- which VC2 was, sans drop hunting for promotions --, but eventually the my irritation with the entire school crap managed to bore its way into my skull and forced me to drop the game. I haven't touched the third game due to my experience, and low expectations, carrying over from the second, but knowing it's from a different team gives me some hope. Is it worth my time?

I'm not really a good judge in that regard. VC2 burned me out way faster than that with the whacky anime tropes sort of ruining the sombre atmosphere that's supposed to be a war. Laughing and joking around being a stupid idiot that signed up for enlistment because HIS BROTHER DIED (not a spoiler, they set the game up that way in the first two seconds). I could not get over that. Every time a conversation happened I failed to suspend my disbelief for the stereotypes and archetypes presented in the game. I never even got out into the actual war. I still had just the starting 3 characters. And I'm not really a fan of the way either of them played on the PSP with the battle map all split up and making you jump from one camp to the next

So with full disclosure, I hadn't really gotten that far into the third one either. You're supposed to form a team called The Nameless. To indicate you are a secret covert group that did a lot of the work for the characters in the very first game, but behind the scenes, not on file, and probably expendable. It all sounded quite interesting. Except they ruined it almost immediately when they introduce your character as Mr Perfect. Who scored higher on the training exams than anyone else in the history of ever! And he acts all stalwart and super confident and unapproachable. Typical Japanese Golden Child Genius trope that I just couldn't buy into. I hope and pray it gets better when you actually become a nameless and get other characters enlisted in your group. It definitely has potential. Just starts off on the wrong foot. And that's about all I did with it. So unfortunately I can't honestly answer your question

I'll have to look into Feather now, me thinks. The Shining series is a really interesting one, with a lot of variation between the titles, so I never know what to expect in terms of quality. I think the most recent one I played was Tears, which was . . . interesting. I heard there was a followup to the game we didn't get, which I might be interested in playing. Would you happen to know anything about that one?

Also, in regards to mention of Saturn emulators, Assault Suits Leynos 2 is, like, my holy grail for that console, and I still haven't gotten to spend the quality time with it I've wanted to. T -T

I'm not entirely sure, the PS2 era Shining games sort of made me look the other way. I believe the sequel to Tears was Wind, and from what I understood it was a direct sequel that played the same way and I'm pretty sure even had some of the same characters

I did just remember there was also a game called Shining Heart, which I know even less about other than the cover looking very Kingdom Hearts'esque. Now that I remembered it exists, I fear it's possible the translation team may move on to that instead of Blade, so here's hoping its a good game

I guess my thing is I played the first 10 - 20 minutes of Blade, so I know that game is fun. And I wasn't immediately turned off by the characters while reading the translation the way I was with VC2 and 3. Though it probably can still happen later, considering how SEGA handles their franchises..

Probably about time I stop rambling for a minute though lol

Depression Moon
12-03-2014, 04:43 AM
Everything at the moment because I'm at school at the moment which means no time and my PS3 is dead.

Rin Heartilly
12-03-2014, 03:11 PM
this is great

That's actually not a problem. I'm in europe and I've bought like 7 games off of the US PSN store. You just need to make a US PSN account on a new user, then you fill that account with money by buying cash cards online. The stores email you the codes within minutes, and you don't lose a lot of money by doing it. Depending on what games cost in Australia, you might even save money by buying games from the US store, even if the stores that sell the cash card want a tiny bit of money for themselves.

If you use gmail, you don't even need to make an additional email account for it. You can just make another pretend-gmail address that shows up in your regular gmail. All you do is enter whateveryourgmailis+somethingelse@gmail.com when PSN asks for an address and it'll work. You'll get those mails sent to your regular gmail account.

Personally, I just used "+psnus", to keep things simple and easy to remember. I have a "+psnjp" too for access to demos and stuff when they are released in japan. That store is a bit hard to navigate when you can't read japanese, though.

That is brilliant, thankyou! Hopefully I might save a bit of money doing that too considering almost everything here in Australia is damn expensive x.x I was just wondering though, by cash cards do you mean like a prepaid credit card/pre paid visa card?

Mirage
12-03-2014, 03:18 PM
No, you just find a web shop that sells PSN cash cards, then you pay them with whatever method of payment that webshop accepts (usually visa, but some might take paypal!), then they send you a code that you input in the PSN store on your PS3 and voila, there's money on the US account that you can spend on US games.

You should set up the US account first though, and download something that's free, like a demo, just to check that it works. After that, you get the cash cards.

I personally used pcgamesupply.com, and it worked for me that one time I used it. Got the code by email within 5 minutes.

http://www.pcgamesupply.com/buygames/sony-playstation-network-cards/ here's a list over all the game cards they offer. They have cards for use with several different regions, so make sure you select the right region.

In fact, I think I'll buy another 50 dollar card right now, just in case something pops up that I want.

The only real drawback I've found with doing it this way is that the games will be downloaded from american servers, rather than much closer regional servers. Downloading things is a bit slower, but after that, it's all the same.

Ergroilnin
12-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Pretty much any Persona/FF that is not for PS Vita or Steam. Also many JRPGs in general. I even took a half year of Japanese so I could actually get the games in original but I chickened out after I was introduced to more complex kanji.

Plus Higurashi no Naku Koro ni VNs and also Uminekus. I just love the series and I am really sad that I can't play them all.

Jowy
12-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I'll finish Phantasy Star IV eventually.

escobert
12-06-2014, 09:57 PM
I want FF Tactics released on steam!

Vyk
12-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Honestly surprised that hasn't happened yet. There are a lot of PSP > PC ports on there, so it's obviously not really a hard deal. I wonder if that means that PSP's infrastructure is similar to how a mini pc would be or if there was just something about those particular games

black orb
12-08-2014, 03:19 AM
>>> All the PS3 Tales games, and various rpgs for the nintendo 3DS. My wallet is too thin to play all that stuff..:luca:

DanielCLFFF13
12-08-2014, 12:11 PM
For me the Up-coming Final Fantasy Type-0 and Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III, for they won't come to PC.
I forgot, Star Ocean : The Last Hope too, it's because the same reason like the above, it didn't out for PC.
For some other, I just bought the Valkyria Chronicles from Steam, but haven't download it yet. But definitely the graphic is different than others, which is great. I plan to download it when Final Fantasy XIII-2 comes out, along with other game that I've bought. Bioshock Infinite and Shadow of Mordor :omgomg:
Wait is VC on Steam is the first VC of the series or the sequel? If so, will the dev ever release the rest of VC series or sequel on Steam too?
Well since The Last of Us isn't count as an RPG, I'll count that out. Really want that game, but don't want to go off topic.
Want to get Final Fantasy XIV, but I can't buy it from Indonesia, nor Indonesia has the server. I can buy it for Steam US site, but I doubt it would work with the server though. Is anyone has got the same issue, I mean, can I really play the game even if my country doesn't support the server or not within the supported region?
Will Persona 5 out for PC too? um... nah......:crying2:
Also Bravely Default and the up-coming Bravely Second.... :bow:
Square Enix I beg you, release them for PC too. You did a really good job, ported the Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV, I know they are like different system or something. But they have the same last name and first name which is Nintendo ... DS. I'm sure you can work this out somehow :nod:
Most of my list are from Square Enix, or all of it :lol: Either as publisher or developer or both.
Can't think of anything else right now, so that's just about of my list for now, I guess.

Vyk
12-08-2014, 04:30 PM
The Valkyria Chronicles on Steam is the first one. I doubt the sequel will end up on there. And I can pretty much guarantee the third one will not end up on there

If you're that interested though, your system should be able to run a PSP emulator pretty well, and I know you like to play with a gamepad already, so you can map buttons from the emulator to the gamepad and it'll be pretty much the same experience you'd get anyway. Though I'm not entirely sure VC2 is worth the trouble. The battles are fun. Buuuut that's about it... Sadly. Since it was made by a different team it doesn't have any of the charm or well developed characters that the first one does

If you want good PSP/DS to PC ports, look into the Ys games on Steam, or the ports of FF3 and 4

DanielCLFFF13
12-08-2014, 09:08 PM
The Valkyria Chronicles on Steam is the first one. I doubt the sequel will end up on there. And I can pretty much guarantee the third one will not end up on there

If you're that interested though, your system should be able to run a PSP emulator pretty well, and I know you like to play with a gamepad already, so you can map buttons from the emulator to the gamepad and it'll be pretty much the same experience you'd get anyway. Though I'm not entirely sure VC2 is worth the trouble. The battles are fun. Buuuut that's about it... Sadly. Since it was made by a different team it doesn't have any of the charm or well developed characters that the first one does

If you want good PSP/DS to PC ports, look into the Ys games on Steam, or the ports of FF3 and 4

Well I hope the rest of VC series out on Steam too, but it all depends on the devs now.

Wait there's PSP emulator? I didn't know it even exist. What's the emulator name? Because I'm afraid I download the fake ones.
wait, isn't PSP control didn't have R2 and L2 or LT and RT?
So, VC2 is pretty much jump on the different direction from the first VC? I haven't even play the VC yet. I plan to download it on 11th December when Final Fantasy XIII-2 :omgomg: came out.

Ys is already on my wishlist, along with Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy IV. But haven't bought it yet. I think I'll get it around next month, I hope.

But really want to play Bravely Default :crying2:

Vyk
12-09-2014, 12:42 AM
PSP only has one set of L & R buttons. And only one analog stick. You can set L and R to either triggers or bumpers depending. Other than that, the buttons are one-to-one. You just wouldn't need to use your right analog stick

The PSP emulator I've used to test-drive games is called PPSSPP. There's probably a couple of them out there, but I can vouche for that one. I'm aware that with one of them, on certain games, there's sound issues. I watched a Lets Play of Cry on YouTube play through Corpse Party with a PSP emulator (he didn't say which one he used), but it had no music. I've never experienced that, but just to let you know it is possible you'll have sound issues. Also I've never played through an entire game on it, so I'm not sure how stable it remains. Like I said, I mostly just test drive them on PC before putting them on my PSP and/or buying them legit (or delete the bad ones and forget they ever existed lol)

Jowy
12-09-2014, 11:26 PM
Suikoden II is available on PSN for a whopping SIX DOLLARY-DOOS.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/8/7355339/suikoden-2-psn-release-date-price

chionos
12-09-2014, 11:52 PM

Well well, it's about time.

Vyk
12-09-2014, 11:58 PM
For serious. I've had that game downloaded for years but never fired it up because everyone said it was amazing. So I wanted a legit copy in case I too fell in love then I wasn't a cheat or phony. But it's insane to find in the wild. I may go for this..

Pete for President
12-10-2014, 01:22 AM

Finally I can try this game out!

DanielCLFFF13
12-10-2014, 01:40 AM
PSP only has one set of L & R buttons. And only one analog stick. You can set L and R to either triggers or bumpers depending. Other than that, the buttons are one-to-one. You just wouldn't need to use your right analog stick

The PSP emulator I've used to test-drive games is called PPSSPP. There's probably a couple of them out there, but I can vouche for that one. I'm aware that with one of them, on certain games, there's sound issues. I watched a Lets Play of Cry on YouTube play through Corpse Party with a PSP emulator (he didn't say which one he used), but it had no music. I've never experienced that, but just to let you know it is possible you'll have sound issues. Also I've never played through an entire game on it, so I'm not sure how stable it remains. Like I said, I mostly just test drive them on PC before putting them on my PSP and/or buying them legit (or delete the bad ones and forget they ever existed lol)

PPSSPP, ok noted thanks Vyk :)
Already download it, now I need to buy some PSP game.

Vyk
12-10-2014, 03:53 AM
Nooo, you don't buy PSP games for an emulator. They are disks, but they're in a container where you can't get the disc out (without ruining it) to put in your computer or anything. You have to find a site that lets you get ROMs or ISOs, or torrent them. For PSP games they're sometimes called CSO (Compressed ISO) and then use those in the emulator. I'm not sure if I can go into much more detail without getting into trouble, because though most gamers use emulators at some point in their life, it's kinda illegal and sort of has to be "officially" frowned upon by anyone helping run the site, or they'll get in trouble for supporting piracy

DanielCLFFF13
12-10-2014, 08:24 AM
Nooo, you don't buy PSP games for an emulator. They are disks, but they're in a container where you can't get the disc out (without ruining it) to put in your computer or anything. You have to find a site that lets you get ROMs or ISOs, or torrent them. For PSP games they're sometimes called CSO (Compressed ISO) and then use those in the emulator. I'm not sure if I can go into much more detail without getting into trouble, because though most gamers use emulators at some point in their life, it's kinda illegal and sort of has to be "officially" frowned upon by anyone helping run the site, or they'll get in trouble for supporting piracy

So basically I can't buy PSP games for PPSSPP emulator, Only can download and play from some CSO PSP game site?

Mirage
12-10-2014, 12:00 PM
You need a modified PSP to let you extract the UMD data via USB. Piracy is bad, mmkay?

Spooniest
12-10-2014, 01:02 PM
I'd like to play the port of Final Fantasy IV that just came out on Steam, but my computer doesn't meet the system requirements.

I'd like to try Bravely Default, but don't have a DS (or any video game systems, for that matter).

I want to play Final Fantasy VI, but I've spent so much time editing the script that the effect of the game is now forever lost on me. :( I feel just a little dead inside.

Vyk
12-10-2014, 03:40 PM
You need a modified PSP to let you extract the UMD data via USB. Piracy is bad, mmkay?
My entire PSP collection was played before bought :] There used to be fine print in the laws where you were allowed to keep a pirated game for 24 hours. Probably not the case anymore. But piracy has led to me spending a lot of money on the industry. Same with a pretty decent portion of my old PC games in fact

Though yes, there is a homebrew app you can get to let you rip your PSP games as ISO or CSO and then play them on your computer, and its become insanely easy to hack PSPs these days. You used to have to buy a special kind of battery. But its not necessary anymore. They have flasher and recovery apps these days

But if you go looking for PSP CSOs the websites still call them ISOs

*Shrug* Either way, in the end, the option for games like Valkyria Chronicles 3 will be open. As well as better versions of games that did make it over. With horrible voice acting. The "UnDubs" where people hack the games to have the original Japanese audio that is generally preferred. I tried it with Growlanser, but it didn't actually make the gameplay more enjoyable...

Rez09
12-10-2014, 07:41 PM
The "UnDubs" where people hack the games to have the original Japanese audio that is generally preferred. I tried it with Growlanser, but it didn't actually make the gameplay more enjoyable...

I have no idea what is being said during anime cut-scenes in that un-dub. ._.

Alonzo_
12-10-2014, 07:57 PM
FFX HD. C'mon Squeenix I'm not getting a PS3 or Vita just for this. :mad2:

exact same for me man :mad2:
I've always been a guy who bought consoles just because of one game like gameboy for pokemon, ps for final fantasy and tekken back then
cause I usually play everything on pc but a ps3 is just too expensiv

Motdrafin
12-10-2014, 08:10 PM
I've always wanted to play Shin Megami Tensei if..., Tales of Rebirth, Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner (for the Saturn), and Romancing SaGa 2. These games don't have translation patches that I know of..

Also, Tales of Hearts R, because I don't have a Vita...

metagloria
12-10-2014, 09:03 PM
I'm sad that I'll never get to experience XI. I didn't have the computing power or free time to do so back in its heyday, and now it's been around so long that I can't see myself ever trying to pick it up - and I'm not even sure what system I would do it on anyway, as I don't have a gaming PC. Considering how beloved it is and how much I enjoyed XIV, it's a shame that I'll never get to properly evaluate its place in FF history.

Vyk
12-10-2014, 09:52 PM
I think 11 made it to Xbox 360 and was released on PS2 with peripheral requirements like their external hard drive. So those options are available

The "UnDubs" where people hack the games to have the original Japanese audio that is generally preferred. I tried it with Growlanser, but it didn't actually make the gameplay more enjoyable...

I have no idea what is being said during anime cut-scenes in that un-dub. ._.

I honestly don't remember those... That would kinda ruin the game... I no longer have that game, but are there options for subtitles? Seems kinda dumb for the undubber to change everything, now. I thought they mostly just changed conversation and battle dialogue

Now I have to wonder about the Tales of Eternia undub I got

DanielCLFFF13
12-11-2014, 08:26 AM

But I don't have PSP, I want to at least buy their game to support them, but knowing that I can't play PSP game in PPSSPP emulator.

My entire PSP collection was played before bought :] There used to be fine print in the laws where you were allowed to keep a pirated game for 24 hours. Probably not the case anymore. But piracy has led to me spending a lot of money on the industry. Same with a pretty decent portion of my old PC games in fact

Though yes, there is a homebrew app you can get to let you rip your PSP games as ISO or CSO and then play them on your computer, and its become insanely easy to hack PSPs these days. You used to have to buy a special kind of battery. But its not necessary anymore. They have flasher and recovery apps these days

But if you go looking for PSP CSOs the websites still call them ISOs

*Shrug* Either way, in the end, the option for games like Valkyria Chronicles 3 will be open. As well as better versions of games that did make it over. With horrible voice acting. The "UnDubs" where people hack the games to have the original Japanese audio that is generally preferred. I tried it with Growlanser, but it didn't actually make the gameplay more enjoyable...

I have found some of the PSP CSO sites, but I don't know if they offer the real game or just some fake things.

Vyk
12-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Might be best not to worry about it then. I wouldn't want you to end up getting a virus just trying to acquire a couple PSP games

Polnareff
12-12-2014, 11:48 PM
I've been lucky enough to play damn near every RPG I wanted to, except for Final Fantasy Dimensions. I am seriously hoping it gets a Vita/3DS release, because if not, I'll never play it.

The only thing that really keeps me from playing some RPGs is that they're not out yet. :monster:

Rin Heartilly
12-13-2014, 01:24 PM
So Suikoden II is out on PSN finally? Whooohoooooo I'm assuming it's going to be the American PSN store so I'm going to do what Mirage suggested and get an American cash card ^^

I'm also going to add Xenogears to the list of RPG's I really wanna play too :/

Bright Shield
12-14-2014, 07:42 AM
^Yep, Konami gave you an early Christmas present.

You're gonna love it. Suikoden II is one of my top 5 RPGs. Just be warned that the translation is shoddy at best.

Skies of Arcadia is also a top 10 RPG for me.

Xenogears is a mixed bag. Really awesome story, but the gameplay all but disappears on the second disc.

Ayen
12-14-2014, 09:39 AM
None at the moment. Every RPG I wanted to play I have, and the rest I will play eventually since I decide my own schedules with the reviews every month.

Yellow_Magic
12-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Now that I have a decently paying full-time job, I'm lucky enough not to really feel restricted in terms of available RPGs.

However, I will never be able to play exclusively Wii-U RPGs because buying the console goes against my morals

Vyk
12-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Now that I have a decently paying full-time job, I'm lucky enough not to really feel restricted in terms of available RPGs.

However, I will never be able to play exclusively Wii-U RPGs because buying the console goes against my morals
Other than Wind Waker, I can't think of any Wii U RPGs. I intend to purchase the console for Xenoblade Chronicles X. But I'm curious what your reasoning is, since I'm not a big fan of Nintendo. But its not a moral thing for me. Has Nintendo wronged you in some manner?

Also digging the Megami Tensei set of yours

Yellow_Magic
12-14-2014, 06:30 PM

Other than Wind Waker, I can't think of any Wii U RPGs. I intend to purchase the console for Xenoblade Chronicles X. But I'm curious what your reasoning is, since I'm not a big fan of Nintendo. But its not a moral thing for me. Has Nintendo wronged you in some manner?

Also digging the Megami Tensei set of yours
I was kidding! It's not actually a moral issue, but I'm just not plain interested in the Wii U as a console in addition to the fairly weak games library (although Xenoblade is a BIG reason to, so I should probably reconsider my position).

Likewise with your P4 set! I'm playing Ultimax right now and story mode's a lot of fun.