PDA

View Full Version : PC clock keeps going wrong?

Ergroilnin
12-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Heya guys,

at the start of the week our city had a big power outage due to sudden frost. The outage took around 24 hours and few times the power just flashed so the PC restarded and died immediately.

Ever since then the clock keeps getting wrong and I have to manually update the time only for it to go wrong again. In all those years I used computers, I never really had this problem so I am kind of clueless how to solve it now. Of course I have internet synchronization checked, so I don't know why it keeps going off.

Any ideas?

Mirage
12-04-2014, 10:44 AM
There could be something wrong with your cmos battery.

Ergroilnin
12-04-2014, 01:49 PM
Well for now I "solved" the problem by increasing the frequency of synchronization every 10 minutes so I am at least not too far off the time.

Is there any way to check if it really is the actual battery?

Mirage
12-04-2014, 02:47 PM
Does the time reset to the same value each time you turn on your computer? Is the time incorrect even before you enter windows? Is it just the time, or also the date?

Ergroilnin
12-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Does the time reset to the same value each time you turn on your computer? Is the time incorrect even before you enter windows? Is it just the time, or also the date?

Nope the time is different each time I restart the PC, but not just that, it keeps going wrong even while I am actively using the computer. I didn't check the time in BIOS yet so not sure about that one, the date is wrong too (but only when I start the computer, it shows the date yesterday, it doesn't get messed up during normal use).

Mirage
12-04-2014, 04:46 PM
you might need to reformat the monitor

Spuuky
12-04-2014, 05:27 PM
What are you syncing the time against? I don't know what "internet synchronization" means exactly, but you should probably just pick a specific source and sync against that. Like this:

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:manual /manualpeerlist:0.pool.ntp.org,1.pool.ntp.org,2.pool.ntp.org,3.pool.ntp.org

Ergroilnin
12-04-2014, 08:33 PM
The normal time synchro in time setup (server: time-a.nist.gov) but the time just keeps getting messed up even with it checked. Now that it updates every 10 minutes it's not so bad but still...