PDA

View Full Version : Easy Holiday recipes

Freya
12-04-2014, 10:05 PM
I want to try more holiday type recipes. I don't typically partake in many of them besides tradition christmas dinner stuff.

Share some with me so I can try them! I will post results.

noxious.sunshine
12-05-2014, 03:59 AM
My mom's bacon wrapped walnuts are fabulous, though they can be tedious to make.

Just grab a bag of whole walnuts, a pack of bacon, & some toothpicks.

Take a walnut, wrap it in enough bacon to cover it (2 times around to be safe), then tear the rest of the bacon off, and stab a toothpick through it and put it on a paper towel lined plate.

Once you've done a whole plate full, pop it in the microwave for 3 minutes to start... If the bacon isn't crisp by then, microwave an additional minute until it is.

Night Fury
12-05-2014, 04:30 AM
My Frozen Cheesecake

1 pack of Marscapone cheese
0.5 tub of double cream
1 packet of ginger biscuits
Vanilla essence
Butter and Honey
Raspberries (or any fruit of your choice)

You'll also need a pie/flan tin where the base slides out. I have one large one, and also a set of individual sizes too. They're great for frozen desserts!

For my cheesecake filling I don't really use strict measurements, but I will go by a ratio of 1 pack of marscapone to 1/2 a tub of double cream. I usually grab the 250g tubs of Marscapone though and a 300ml of double cream. So I guess 250g of the cheese with 150ml of the cream - 500g and 300ml etc etc. It depends how big of a cheesecake you're making that you may need more.

Start smushing the biscuits into the flan tin and make sure you get them flat and pressed out. I then usually stick it this in the freezer for a bit while i make up my filling.
Mash the ginger biscuits (this is the worst part it takes forever unless you have a food processor) and add about 50g of melted butted to bring it all together - keep adding more if you think you need it but don't add too much otherwise you won't get a crumbly crust. I sometimes squeeze in a tiny bit of honey too. Just be careful with the honey haha.

Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks. Stir up the cheese until it softens then add the cream and a tsp of vanilla essence. Keep stirring it up until it's nice and smooth. I also recommend doing a taste test here. I love the cheesecake to be more on the tangy side - but if you like it sweeter add more cream! I also don't add sugar to my cream because I find the vanilla gives it just enough of a sweet taste, but feel free to whip sugar into the cream before you add it to the cheese if you prefer a sweeter taste.

Spoon the filling on top of the crushed biscuits and then put it in the freezer until you're ready to eat. I usually let it chill after being frozen so it's not like eating ice haha, I just let it soften out a bit but by freezing it you can ensure that it will have a great shape when you pop it out and it will all stick together.

I add the fruit while it softens and sprinkle over a tiny amount of icing sugar too, to look nice! I use raspberries and passionfruit for mine but you can use whatever fruit you like best, really.

Here is the one I made last year!

Also, a great leftovers recipe that I use when I have leftover meat;

Leftover Quesadillas!
Leftover meat
Baby corn - cut side ways
Cheeeeeeese
Tortillas

I re-heat leftover meat (chicken, pork, turkey - I haven't tried beef) with some cajun spices or a sachet of spice mix in a frying pan. As long as it has chilli and paprika then you're good to go. Last time I made them I just used cajun spice from a jar with dried chilli flakes and they were as good as ever!

Toss in the baby corn slices and let that cook up and become coated in the flavour.

Once it's all piping hot I get my tortillas ready and start spooning out the mixture onto one tortilla at a time, then sprinkle over some cheese, then pop another tortilla over the top. I like to oven bake these so it can take some time. You can also fry them too!

They aren't really a 'Holiday' recipe, but they're great for leftovers and a bit different to a turkey sandwich! I guess you could use any vegetables in them too - so if you had some leftover carrots or something.

Freya
12-05-2014, 02:32 PM
WHaaat that looks/sounds delicious! I'll have to try it