PDA

View Full Version : I *don't* want a remake

Spooniest
12-05-2014, 07:19 PM
Reverse psychology is an awesome tool. Don't know if you guys know about this, but...basically, you make someone think the opposite of what you believe, and that tricks them into doing something stupid.

Works like a charm!

But as I've stated in other threads in other places, there is one way, and one way only, that a remake of FFVII will happen, and that is if you (yes, YOU) stop buying any and all things that Square Enix makes, until such time as it is announced.

...Though it'd probably be 10 years from the announcement to the release... :monster:

Discuss.

Ergroilnin
12-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Reverse psychology is an awesome tool. Don't know if you guys know about this, but...basically, you make someone think the opposite of what you believe, and that tricks them into doing something stupid.

Works like a charm!
...Though it'd probably be 10 years from the announcement to the release... :monster:

Sound like FFXV to me :monster:

Mirage
12-05-2014, 11:39 PM
I actually don't want a remake. no reverse things

MJN SEIFER
12-05-2014, 11:57 PM
To anyone who is genuinely dreading the FFVII remake, let me just say this;

Final Fanstasy VII is, and most likely will always be my favorite FF game, and even with it's flaws, I view it to be perfect the way it is, but I am okay with them remaking the game if they want to. Even if I end up hating the remake, the original FFVII still exists, and always will.

I am okay with remakes of things, and when it comes to movies and shows, I actually find it interesting, especially if it's something I already like, and maybe that's the case for games. There was even a fanmade project on this forum to remake FFVII with a more accurate translation until the member got banned from EoFF for some reason, and I was fully supportive of this, even though there were things I didn't agree with.

So yeah, I'm okay with the remake (and yes, I know what I said in the past).

Cleric
12-08-2014, 04:23 AM
As much as I love this game inside and out I have to agree with the OP; I also don't want a remake. The outdated polygonal graphics, awkward translation(at times) are part of what makes this game special to me every time I replay it. Even though an overhaul and update on graphics, dialogue, etc. may be nice, I would still prefer the original.

black orb
12-08-2014, 04:37 AM
But as I've stated in other threads in other places, there is one way, and one way only, that a remake of FFVII will happen, and that is if you (yes, YOU) stop buying any and all things that Square Enix makes, until such time as it is announced.

>>> Sound like a plan to me..:luca:

VulpineNinja
12-08-2014, 04:41 AM
as much as I love FFVII, the movies and spin offs, I disagree with having a remake either.
In fact I don't agree with any remakes from the seventh Installment. They're perfect the way they are.
Rather than wasting their funds and energy on an FFVII remake, why not focus on completing Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV and beyond?

I'm okay with remaking the classic FF like what they did to FFIII and FFIV. I'm still waiting for FFVI to be remade (or at least turn into a movie) because it's just as epic as FFVII. Terra and the gang deserves more love!

MJN SEIFER
12-08-2014, 04:51 PM
Like I said; the orginal game is not affected, so there's nothing wrong with having a remake.

Leigh
12-08-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm not adverse to a remake, if I am honest, as it will give people chance to experience the game if they cannot cope with the graphics of yesteryear. However, I do think that Square-Enix needs to pretty much fire all of its staff and start anew. There doesn't seem to be anyone in that bunch who is not completely replaceable now. Time for something fresh and original. For example, a game that actually looks and sounds vaguely interesting.

Bolivar
12-08-2014, 11:51 PM
I don't know if this thread is some kind of reverse psychology of reverse psychology but I honestly don't want a remake and thought it was cool they were bringing the enhanced PC version on PS4 (just wish I could get it cross-buy on my Vita :/). I used to question those who didn't want a remake but after playing VII so much over the years I realized why I cherish it so much. Hideo Kojima remarked in his 2009 GDC keynote that classic games are created because of their hardware limitations, not in spite of them. I honestly don't think FFVII could be made better by voice acting or an over-the-shoulder camera. I am sad that younger gamers might not ever appreciate it but they should be free to discover their own classics. While I'm known (unintentionally) for strong opinions on this forum, I never ask that others share them, or look down on those who dont.

What I'd rather see is Square remake the *concept* of Final Fantasy VII with all the tools they have today: an RPG that blurs the line between story and gameplay by letting the player interact with their environment and granting control during the intense action scenes. Give us stylish combat that pays homage to the tactical turn-based roots to boot. In any case, I'll be glad to go through the adventure again when it releases on PS4.

Leigh
12-09-2014, 12:48 AM
I think there is a lot to be said for the graphical style of the older games to be honest. A lot more than what many are giving credit for. The pre-rendered art offered an ambience that I don't believe 3D games can quite match up to. I cannot quite put my fingers on a descriptor to use in order to try and convey what I mean. There is a sort of sombre-moodiness to games that have pre-rendered backdrops. A hidden depth if you will humour me. I find it very atmospheric; I can say the same thing about the original Resident Evil games.

When they crossed over to a fully immersive 3D environment, there was a sort of artificiality to them. They can look pretty, but something is missing and I find the world a little more hollow and without definitive character. It's a little bit like a sensory overload, there are too many geometric shapes flying at me at once. I can only possibly equate it to technical perspective drawing in comparison to something more cerebral like water colours. Perspective drawing looks technical and whilst excellent - I feel it lacks some sort of soul and character.

Maybe it is just me. Anyone else get a similar flavour in regards to this?

Jinx
12-09-2014, 12:49 AM
I think there is a lot to be said for the graphical style of the older games to be honest. A lot more than what many are giving credit for. The pre-rendered art offered an ambience that I don't believe 3D games can quite match up to. I cannot quite put my fingers on a descriptor to use in order to try and convey what I mean. There is a sort of sombre-moodiness to games that have pre-rendered backdrops. A hidden depth if you will humour me. I find it very atmospheric; I can say the same thing about the original Resident Evil games.

When they crossed over to a fully immersive 3D environment, there was a sort of artificiality to them. They can look pretty, but something is missing and I find the world a little more hollow and without definitive character. It's a little bit like a sensory overload, there are too many geometric shapes flying at me at once. I can only possibly equate it to technical perspective drawing in comparison to something more cerebral like water colours. Perspective drawing looks technical and whilst excellent - I feel it lacks some sort of soul and character.

Absolutely. Can't put my finger on it either, but there's definitely a different feel between 3D and pre-rendered.

Bolivar
12-09-2014, 01:13 AM
Agreed as well. No offense to coders but a game just has so much more soul when you have an army of artists cranking out their dreamscapes instead of modeling 3d objects and bumpmapping textures.

Pumpkin
12-09-2014, 01:57 AM

Spooniest
12-09-2014, 03:47 AM
A game just has so much more soul when you have an army of artists cranking out their dreamscapes instead of modeling 3d objects and bumpmapping textures.

Hey, that would save a lot on processor time rendering the background...and you could use more expensive textures on a modern system. So...redrawn, pre-rendered backgrounds would be a thing.

I say redrawn because if you're going to have characters that are more realistically-proportioned than the original (as any remake had better, imo), the backgrounds would then have to be redrawn to fit those proportions. They don't always fit the proportions of the Polygon Characters of the original, to be frank.

This is diverging somewhat, but people don't often bring up the Honeybee Inn, or Don Corneo, or literally all of Wall Market when discussing a remake. Thoughts?

chionos
12-09-2014, 04:27 AM
I'm on the fence, I guess. Like with FFVI, I don't think a remake could possibly recapture the essence of the original. Would the humor still work? Would I feel the same way about the characters? Would they have to change so much that it wouldn't be the same game?

On the other hand, I get what MJN is saying, because no matter what they do, the original still exists, and nothing can really take away from my experience of the original game unless I let it. In the end, I think I would love to reexperience the game without the ugly polygons. It's kind of hard to play anymore.

I can replay FFVI without the same revulsion to the graphics, b/c they fit. They're old and pixelated, but they work, and my enjoyment of the game isn't hampered any by the how the sprites look.

FFVII exists in that middle ground of uncanny ugliness, but I do agree with everyone regarding prerendered backgrounds and such. I think rpgs in particular lost something in the transition to full-3D. Don't get me wrong, some 3D rpgs have managed to create some truly astounding worlds, with sights that are very nearly breathtaking, but they don't integrate with the gameplay in the same way. It's especially obnoxious when it creates a sense of illusion, in that so much of the beauty is untouchable, which ends up feeling like you're being teased for no reason. Case in point, FFXIII.

VeloZer0
12-09-2014, 06:30 AM
I find the biggest difference between pre-rendered and 3D isn't so much the art, as the camera. Pre-renders were optimized for one viewing angle, rather than trying to create a fully 'real' environment. I personally believe that going back to a static camera would go a long way to capturing the classic feel.

Leigh
12-09-2014, 10:59 AM
Hey, that would save a lot on processor time rendering the background...and you could use more expensive textures on a modern system. So...redrawn, pre-rendered backgrounds would be a thing.

I say redrawn because if you're going to have characters that are more realistically-proportioned than the original (as any remake had better, imo), the backgrounds would then have to be redrawn to fit those proportions. They don't always fit the proportions of the Polygon Characters of the original, to be frank.

This is diverging somewhat, but people don't often bring up the Honeybee Inn, or Don Corneo, or literally all of Wall Market when discussing a remake. Thoughts?

I think because final fantasy has such a worldwide appeal these days, they could keep an essence of the events, but it would be subject to a colossal rewrite. I feel that the general Japanese quirkiness would leave a bad taste in the mouth of people not entirely familiar to certain 'eccentricities' that come from our brothers in the east. =P

The homo-erotic elements would be completely scrapped. Games are designed with a much stricter thematic foundation these days. I don't believe that the art direction employed by modern developers would even allow this versatility in overall tone and mood. It would probably break immersion. Video Games are very much in an epoch of cinematic emulation, and hence, I imagine that Final Fantasy VII remake would, like most games of today, take itself too seriously to include such frivolity.

Spooniest
12-09-2014, 02:27 PM
I feel that the general Japanese quirkiness would leave a bad taste in the mouth of people not entirely familiar to certain 'eccentricities'

You mean an entire neighborhood being okay with sex work? I don't know if eccentric is the word I'd use.

Leigh
12-09-2014, 06:45 PM
I feel that the general Japanese quirkiness would leave a bad taste in the mouth of people not entirely familiar to certain 'eccentricities'

You mean an entire neighborhood being okay with sex work? I don't know if eccentric is the word I'd use.

Oh I dunno, it's not so bad. Pompeii flourished because of its rampant fornication and sexual deviances for the price of silver. =P Having said that, nobody as of yet has tried to make a video game out of it. =P Maybe the Japanese are just social progressives. Haha.

Ayen
12-14-2014, 07:06 AM
I'd most likely want to play it if it's made, but I'm not gonna cry if it's not. I'm not among those demanding that it be remade either.

Lynn-Strife
01-12-2015, 09:09 PM
I do not want a remake but, guys, this is going to happen, we want it or not. And I think this is going to happen in 2017 in the 20th anniversary of the game :( I am really sure of this.

Mercen-X
02-07-2015, 03:53 AM
Perhaps, but it'll likely see release in 2018, the 21st anniversary (it's a mutiple of 7, Square and their whimsy).

People act like the only way 7 can be remade is if it's made into an over-the-shoulder semi-1st-person action-rpg with 3d-rendered environments. Keep the PC HD, I just want the polygons updated. I've uploaded pics of some fan renders for more realistic depictions of Sephiroth and Cloud (dwarfed for non-combat and regular for in-combat) in the Remake thread. Basically, I just want to be able to believe I'm playing as a human being rather than a mannequin made of balloons.

As for the script, they needn't entirely omit the idiosynchrosies. For example, Aerith could say, "This guy are sick... I mean, is sick! Ha..."

I would love updated versions of the minigames. I think they should add at least one more Gold Saucer-original game. Also, I think Cloud should comment on the motorcycle, snowboard, and submarine games.

Ayen
02-07-2015, 08:49 AM
You'd think they would have started work on one when interest first started up after the PS3 demo.

Mirage
02-07-2015, 10:34 AM
Perhaps, but it'll likely see release in 2018, the 21st anniversary (it's a mutiple of 7, Square and their whimsy).

People act like the only way 7 can be remade is if it's made into an over-the-shoulder semi-1st-person action-rpg with 3d-rendered environments. Keep the PC HD, I just want the polygons updated. I've uploaded pics of some fan renders for more realistic depictions of Sephiroth and Cloud (dwarfed for non-combat and regular for in-combat) in the Remake thread. Basically, I just want to be able to believe I'm playing as a human being rather than a mannequin made of balloons.

As for the script, they needn't entirely omit the idiosynchrosies. For example, Aerith could say, "This guy are sick... I mean, is sick! Ha..."

I would love updated versions of the minigames. I think they should add at least one more Gold Saucer-original game. Also, I think Cloud should comment on the motorcycle, snowboard, and submarine games.

You can't raise the poly count for the backgrounds in ff7 (which is 99% of what you see) without digging up the 3D models used to make them, and at that point, you might as well just display the 3D models in realtime and enable a lot more options when it comes to camera positions and movement. The grammar defects were fixed already in the PC version in '98 or 99.

maybee
02-07-2015, 01:10 PM

DMKA
02-10-2015, 11:32 PM
I wanted an FFVII remake along with everyone else, until the compilation came along.

Nearly all the key moments in FFVII have been readdressed and visually reimagined in Advent Children, Crisis Core, and Dirge of Cerberus. A remake is kind of overkill at this point.

But, you can bet that if they were to remake it I'd be first in line to buy it. :p

metagloria
02-11-2015, 02:10 PM

Hehe, I love this idea. As long as they didn't overdo it. Just little lines of optional dialogue with insignificant NPCs that hearken back to the original release.

Shiny
02-11-2015, 10:44 PM
There has never been a game in the history of forever that has warranted a remake more than this game. People have been wanting it for years and now that it is truly outdated, yet still highly demanded there is really no reason for them not to. Capcom gave us the Resident Evil remake so give us the damn FFVII Square!

Ayen
02-12-2015, 02:10 PM
There has never been a game in the history of forever that has warranted a remake more than this game. People have been wanting it for years and now that it is truly outdated, yet still highly demanded there is really no reason for them not to. Capcom gave us the Resident Evil remake so give us the damn FFVII Square!

This. All of this.

Skyblade
02-12-2015, 06:51 PM

There is also no game remake which would terrify me more. It would be so, so easy for Square to ruin the game. And I fear they would. My evidence: The Compilation. They've so massively warped and distorted the characters, themes, and even the actual events of FFVII already. I don't want a remake where we suddenly see Genesis in the Shinra mansion basement scene, or where Cloud's character has been changed to be a depressed wreck the entire game.

escobert
04-18-2015, 03:18 PM

Works like a charm!

Discuss.

That's uh exactly the opposite of what Square says...

Sephiroth
04-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Seeing how mistanslated all versions are and the story and characters not even understood by people who are adamant about understanding them but not even considering everything given, yes, a remake is needed.

Cloudane
04-21-2015, 01:55 PM
I did want one... not so sure nowadays, I think maybe the moment has passed for me. It seems to be reserved as their last ditch thing that they'll push out if ever they're about to go down the pan and hope that it rescues them... sort of a "Final Final Fantasy", so to speak (I wonder if they'd start from 1 again if that happened! FFFII, coming soon to PS6). But I think it's past the time when enough people care for it to be a big blockbuster company-saving hit if they even did - it's gone past the Doctor Who 2005 style phase of "just retro enough that everyone looks forward to the reboot" and landed firmly in the Manic Miner kind of area of "people of a certain age harp on constantly about how awesome it was whilst anyone a decade or so younger just looks on with bemusement and wonders what the heck's so good about it"

Still I'd quite like, let's say, a "remastered" version with remade FMVs, higher resolution paintings and a few more polygons, but not so much a complete remake - they'd ruin it trying to make it too realistic (seemed to me they couldn't figure out how to make Cait Sith not look silly in the movie so just got rid of the moogle... it's things like that). There were also certain things like, Kalm was a tiny village in the main game and a huge city in Dirge, far as I recall. Sorry but I expect somewhere called "Kalm" to be a village, and that's an example of fleshing something out and messing up headcanon.

Exactly, I do as well.
I think it's similar to the reasons they stopped doing the overworld - when the graphics were a bit less realistic, it was a bit more "acceptable" - in an industry striving for maximum realism - to have this sort of pseudo-3D where there's enough detail to tell you about the world they want you to imagine, but almost like a book, a lot of it is left to your imagination to fill in the rest of the detail while you imagine you are "there". As the games have become more realistic, you're now presented more of the world directly, and it may not have the style and depth that your mind was previously filling in.

I noticed this with Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. They did a great job of bringing the world we knew to life, and yet I still found it much more "plain looking / drab looking" scenery than my head had created for the original game.

Not sure exactly how to say it either... it's maybe a bit like an uncanny valley thing? When everything was painted backdrops and deformed characters, perhaps it was easier to "convert" that to a vibrant fantasy world in your mind (it's almost like a dream - you can't literally see it in real world detail, but your imagination 'knows' what's there), but currently we're at a stage of realism where it's "there but not quite" - it looks real enough for your brain to accept it as the 'canon' environment for your fantasy instead of creating its own interpretation, so maybe the creative part of your brain kind of shuts down, but it's not as detailed and vibrant as your imagination would've created if it had the chance.

Richard
05-05-2015, 12:20 AM
I myself am open to a remake. But it probably would not be what I have imagined.