PDA

View Full Version : What type of series do you prefer?

Pumpkin
12-06-2014, 05:21 AM
For video games, do you prefer series like Xenosaga that follow directly,games like Suikoden that take place in the same world but have separate stories, or series like Final Fantasy (generally) where the games are totally separate?

Discuss!

Colonel Angus
12-06-2014, 05:55 AM
I like the Final Fantasy & Mario series the most.

Rez09
12-06-2014, 07:24 PM
While most of my favorite games exist in isolated worlds, series that exist within a single universe would be my preference, usually where I follow different characters and locations between the games. This allows for the creation of an expansive universe and lore over multiple titles that always makes it a joy to jump into a new game or back into an old one to replay.

The Front Mission series is a great example of this, as all of the major conflicts across the five main games have an impact that can been seen in other titles -- this is especially true of the fifth title, which stands as a pretty well the perfect way to end a video game series, weaving itself around the events of the previous four.

Vyk
12-07-2014, 02:38 AM
I prefer strategy games with better pacing where you can walk around and explore and talk to people between battles, and can walk from town to town rather than pick a dot on a map! I should probably stop beating this dead horse xD

The "Shining" games do exist in the same universe, but usually 10 - 100 years in between each, which is interesting. They also take place on vastly different parts of the world. Most games that take place on the same world are not too far apart. It makes me feel like the developers didn't have much vision when originally creating the world. It's like one large continent takes up most of the planet and sprinkled with some islands. And then I have to wonder where a sequel could take place that isn't related? So they have to be thousands of years apart, or actually directly related for me to feel comfortable. The Valkyria Chronicles games are a good example of a series that makes me feel a bit squeamish and doubtful regarding the plot and setting. They keep reusing the same thing over and over because of it, and that makes me sad. The writers kinda wrote themselves into a corner in that regard

So I guess the only ones I don't like are in the same world/universe/timeframe that make me feel weird. The ones with no relation, super long distance relation, or are direct sequels are fine. I never really give it another thought unless I know a direct sequel wasn't originally planned. Then I'm a little weirded out as well >.>

CimminyCricket
12-07-2014, 04:11 AM
I like stand alone stories. It makes me think harder about the way things could have gone instead of having that ruined by what actually happens.

Pete for President
12-07-2014, 09:44 PM
I like stand alone stories. It makes me think harder about the way things could have gone instead of having that ruined by what actually happens.

My thoughts exactly.

alicechase33
12-08-2014, 01:47 PM
i think the same also

Vyk
12-08-2014, 04:34 PM
i think the same also

My thoughts exactly.
This reminds me of Sephex's drunken 2 weeks of of neutral post replies that did nothing to the topics xD I know that's not what you're doing, but Sephex has that burned into my brain now! Thanks Seph

Bolivar
12-08-2014, 09:45 PM
I think it's best when sequels reuse the same concepts and overall feeling while bringing in a new cast and setring, only merely leaving the door open for connections to be made. Vyk hit the nail on the head with Shining Force and it's kinda meta-cool how the connection between Shining Force I and II is made in a Game Gear game that very few people have ever played, making it a kind of lost secret, even among the fandom!

Metal Gear Solid 3 is a different example. Everyone knew it was Big Boss but the game very much held to the line that all you needed to know was that this is a different Snake in a different era.

A little bit borderline is Valkyria Chronicles II. It was the same country and era but while some of the characters from the first game made cameos, it was a different cast and a different war that stood on its own.

escobert
12-09-2014, 01:11 AM
I like sandbox games. There's no story to DayZ and really the only history is pieced together from real world history and whatever has happened in the three Arma games. Some play to just survive, others will rob you at gun point for your pants. Some are just plain psychos and kill/torture everyone the see. Then there are the Heros who risk their own lives to help Bambie's(freshspawn/noob) and survivors from bandits and zombies. I'm a "Lone Wolf Survivor" where a Hero lives by a code where they do not attack unless they have been attacked, I will do whatever I deem necessary to my survival. I live in a grey world. I may help you, if I see a reason to. I may rob you if I'm hungry or sick. I however, have teken up the Hero mantra of not attacking unless my life is in danger.

This is what I love about DayZ. Not only is a realistic Zombie Apocalypse survival game, there's so much more to it. Every person you meet may become your best friend in DayZ or they may send you packing to the beach(kill you) you never know, there is no sure way to tell. There's no plot points or progression just stay alive for as long as you can. It can get tedious when alone at times but, just give your self small goals like finding a axe or whatever and go from there. you never know who or what will be around the next corner or in the next village.

Shiny
12-09-2014, 09:33 PM
I hate sandbox games. I like full exploration games like Skyrim or the GTA series, so I'll go with that.

Ayen
12-14-2014, 06:56 AM
I'm pretty varied so I don't have any real preference.

Leigh
12-14-2014, 01:18 PM
I'd probably say that I enjoy games that cover the adventure genre. So, I'd place games like Shenmue I & II, Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, Shadow of Memories, etc as my favourites. I'm not really a gamer so to speak, but a lover of cinema and narrative. Collecting swords and building stats, like most RPGs, don't really interest me. They're a nussance that I put up with in order to try and flesh out the storyline. I guess that's why whenever I complete a game, it still says I have only collected 5% of the trophy achievements. =P

Personally, I'd prefer individual stories per game, as I like to have a solid conclusion. There is enough creativity in the world to invent something new, instead of flogging a dead horse till it is nothing but a pile of bones and scrag-end.

Vyk
12-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Shadow of Memories
Never heard of this game, or I guess as it's known in North America "Shadow of Destiny". But upon investigation it sounds really interesting. I might have to watch an LP on YouTube or something